Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,296 Members 53,224 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Evo 4g can only flash CM7, nothing else

Tip us?

memekmek
Old
(Last edited by memekmek; 29th November 2011 at 11:16 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
Default [Q] Evo 4g can only flash CM7, nothing else

Ok, so i've exhausted all searches. I always always search first and try every possible solution, after a week, i'm back to square one.

I rooted my htc evo 4g with unrevoked. Ive been flashing and rooting for almost a year now and never enountered a problem like this before
Amon_ra 2.3
S-OFF
Hboot 2.10.0001

the issue is everytime i try to flash a rom other than CM7, i get this error:
assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img","boot") Status 7

I am only trying to flash a sense rom so i can update my prl.

I followed the advice on this page: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-...oot-error.html

but i still get boot: PU-Fail running the all in one PC36IMG.zip, when that didnt work, i tried the stand alone version

I then tried partitioning my sdcard using this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1158993

and still no luck. Everytime i mess up, i just re-flash CM7 and it works like nothing was wrong. I could live with cm7 forever, i just want to update my prl then go back to cm7.

These are the roms ive tried:
Sprint lovers stand alone| Result: didnt give me error but stayed on white screen for over 1.5 hours.

sprint lovers all in one PC36IMG.zip| Result: boot-PU-Fail, update failed

latest fresh. 4.3.3.| Result: assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img","boot") Status 7

Stock rom deodexed: assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img","boot") Status 7

synergy| result: assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img","boot") Status 7

FYI i do a full wipe of system, dalvich cache, and then flash the virus wipe zip.

I am stuck. I feel like i cant flash any sense rom and i can only flash CM7.

Please help let me know if you need any other info

lowandbehold
Old
Thanks Meter 1129
Have you upgraded your recovery? Back in the day (less than a year ago actually) certain versions of clockwork didn't play nice when switching from AOSP based ROM's back to a sense ROM.

memekmek
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
yeah i flashed the latest amon 2.3 recovery just recently. i can try reflashing it.

memekmek
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
same problems unfortunately, flashed amon 2.3. then full wipe of system and dalvich. still getting assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img","boot") Status 7 when trying when trying any sense rom.

memekmek
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
am i stuck with cm7 forever then?

memekmek
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
I think i'll start from fresh again. this will be my steps:

my sd card is already partitioned, and after nandroid i'll do this:

i'll reflash amon ra2.3

1. so in recovery wipe data, dalvik cache, and cache do that 3x.

2. vr superwipe

3. i'll try reflashing the fresh rom, or any/all sense rom

4.cross my fingers *hope*

memekmek
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
could it be a kernal problem? i tried flashing the fresh-evo-4.3.3.zip and it went through all 8 steps, but on step 8 it said:

assert failed: write_raw_image ("/tmp/boot.img", "boot") just like before

memekmek
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
im going to keep talking to myself because it keeps me sane. i just did another complete full wipe and did the pc36img.zip update for the all in one that was recommended on this page: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-...ml#post3555107

i get boot -fail-pu and partition fail. so weird. i am trying to install the stand alone version now. it seems to 'flash' with no problems, however last time i did so, it stayed on the white screen for a good hour. right now im just waiting on the white screen again. we shall see.

any other suggestions?

infamousteeboy
Old
Thanks Meter 179
In all do respect but what HBoot is that? Mines 6.16.1002 what hardware do you have? That's kinda weird that your having problems flashing other ROMs but CM7..

memekmek
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
its hboot 2.10.0001 for the htc evo 4g. its currently doing its whitescreen thing with sprint lovers rom. if i decide to pull battery i can get the specifics on the hardware info. ive been reading this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...894331&page=13

shouldnt amon 2.3 take care of partition issues?

Tags
boot, evo, flash