FORUMS

HTC’s New Ad Campaign And What It Really Means

HTC has just released three new blind test adverts comparing app loading … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (June 27 – July 4)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

HTC One M9 Developer Edition Android 5.1 OTA

The Developer Edition of the HTC One M9 is receiving an over-the-air update to Android 5.1. … more

Index Project For XDA Device Subforums

Another ambitious project from the collaborative efforts of Recognized Contributors and Forum … more

XT883 radio vs XT862 (D3) in CDMA mode

66 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By newshook, Member on 3rd January 2012, 02:30 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I am very interested in trying the XT883 radio because its compatibility with more GSM providers. However, I am currently a Verizon subscriber and I want to find out what to expect in CDMA after loading up the XT883 radio.

My phone is rooted and unlocked, by the way. I think I am asking the internal differences between XT883 and XT862. Can someone shed light on this?

Thanks.

3rd January 2012, 03:43 PM |#2  
Flag H Nội
Thanks Meter: 6

More
From what I've seen of the software floating around, I suspect there's no hardware differences between the two CDMA models, it's all in software and RadioComm settings.

But I've not taken any steps to confirm this, and won't until I have an SBF available so I can undo any hideously broken experimentation and get back to the phone I currently am quite happy with. ^_^
3rd January 2012, 06:37 PM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I did the comparison on the speci of these two. They differ in talk time, standby time, and wifi. While the talk time / standby time could be related to reporting convention for its intended customers, I do feel there should be hardware differences. Just don't know what to expect if loading up the XT883 radio on 862, and if the difference can be reversed by putting its own radio back.

Also, will loading XT883 radio override the hotspot hack?

Thanks.

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App
5th January 2012, 05:17 PM |#4  
Flag H Nội
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by newshook

I did the comparison on the speci of these two. They differ in talk time, standby time, and wifi. While the talk time / standby time could be related to reporting convention for its intended customers, I do feel there should be hardware differences.

You have to take the published pages with a grain of salt.

Consider these:
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/CN...T883-CN-ZH.alt
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/CN...E863-CN-ZH.alt
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/HK...NE-3-HK-ZH.alt
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/HK...ne-3-HK-EN.alt

That's the XT883, the ME863 China model, and the Chinese and English versions of the ME863 Hong Kong model.

You may note that translation to Chinese loses 40mAh of battery size, and somehow the ME863 in Hong Kong gets more than double the talk time, with the same battery and standby time.

It's true that the XT883 is an older product page, but the Chinese ME863 is the newest product page of the lot. (It's new since I last looked at this, for example.)

That said, it's entirely possible that the Verizon Droid 3 has better standby battery life, because it's already received a system update the Asia-Pacific devices have not.

And again, I'm not totally sure, but I _believe_ the XT883 and Droid 3 shipped with Android 2.3.4. My retail Hong Kong ME863 has Android 2.3.5, but perhaps the ME863s in China are still on 2.3.4 and that's why their talk-time is lower?

I've lost track of what the Droid 3 is on. The Bell XT860s have 2.3.6 coming, and that seems to be offering a lot of improvements. They had 2.3.4 before, although the XT860s in South America had 2.3.5 include.

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US...ROLA-US-EN.alt

As far as the Wifi difference, I really doubt Motorola's manufacturing a version without 802.11n unless there's some regulation in the Chinese market that demands such. Maybe 802.11n isn't certified there for use in unlicensed radio bands, so they can't advertise it. I don't know.

What I do know is that as far as I can see, my ME863 (Hong Kong retail)'s firmware incuded what appeared to be chunks of the Droid 3 stock firmware in unused space, indicating that the build process is to make 'em all, flash 'em with the Droid 3, and then send a batch of 'em that're China-bound to be reflashed with the Chinese-language firmware. (Which amongst other things repartitions things so that preinstall is tiny and unused, and makes the internal SD card slightly bigger. Which is why you can't use Safestrap's aternative boot on them yet.)

I guess the summary is that I see nothing that suggests hardware differences exept the presence of CDMA-specific electronics on the (same) radio chipset. I'm _assuming_ CDMA circuitry is left out, not just disabled.
6th January 2012, 05:42 AM |#5  
Flag Vantucky
Thanks Meter: 23

More
There is a great recovery thread for use with moto-fastboot, which I used to get my xt862 back to stock. It had xt883 ROM running when I bought it, but I had other issues that I wanted to fix, so I went stock again. After that, I just used the xt883 radio.img and build.prop tweaks to get it working on gsm. I'm almost sure you could use the phone on either gsm or cdma after making these changes, but would it hurt to try and let us know? You can easily get back to stock...I don't have a free Verizon line to try it on myself, else I would lol.

Good luck!

Sent while mobile using Tapatalk.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread