Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,243 Members 52,108 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[INFO] Kindle Fire 6.2 Software Update (29Nov11)

Tip us?

sl0ttedpig
Old
(Last edited by sl0ttedpig; 30th November 2011 at 04:25 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Default [INFO] Kindle Fire 6.2 Software Update (29Nov11)

So, it appears my Kindle Fire just updated itself on it's own! No warning, it just did it! I caught it as the progress bar was about 50% across the screen.

Confirmed 6.2 Software Update via Amazon Support Site

Here is what I know:

1. It removes root functionality, including the SuperUser.apk
2. It removes the Google Market app (some people say theirs is still working after update, so it could be how it was added/installed) and some of the other Google sync apk's that reside in /system/app (probably because that whole directory gets overwritten).
3. It overwrites the framework-res.apk file, so any customizations that were made to it (battery charge icon, custom wallpaper etc.), will be wiped out.
4. If you removed built-in apps like Facebook and IMDB before the update, they will have re-appeared again.

With some testing from Veritass (someone brave enough to try re-rooting again after the update), it is now pretty much back to normal. The steps I took to get there were:

1. Re-root using the standard SuperOneClick method we are all used to
2. Re-added the following apks in /system/app and applied the correct permissions:

- Vending.apk
- GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
- GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk

Everything else was still working BEFORE I re-rooted, as the GoogleServicesFramework.apk remains intact and running. This includes, but is not limited to Gmail, Maps, Calendar, YouTube, Translate, Finance.

So, all is well again, and it didn't really mess up too much (that I can see). A minor inconvenience for no particular gain as far as I can see.

NOTE:

1. Amazon Video still doesn't work when rooted
2. The stock Carousel app still won't allow you to remove apps (not that I care about that myself, but you'd figure that a fix was imminent as this was a major gripe for a lot of users!)
3. Auto brightness is still not enabled

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sl0ttedpig For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xlephant
Old
Thanks Meter 2
same here. without any question it runs the update.

Mherder
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I just went and checked mine, didn't update... still 6.1.

mdizzle9
Old
Thanks Meter 21
6.1 here as well; although, I will not be surprised if there are a lot of updates over the next couple months. It's interesting it auto updates because of the rooting implications, though.

Mherder
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I left mine alone for about 10 minutes after i checked earlier for the update. Now its been auto-updated. I lost root access and i keep getting android market has quit errors. Great.

Can i just reroot? or what now?

sl0ttedpig
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdizzle9 View Post
6.1 here as well; although, I will not be surprised if there are a lot of updates over the next couple months. It's interesting it auto updates because of the rooting implications, though.
6.2 is coming, it's confirmed on their website (I updated my OP). But, yes it's worrying to those who have rooted (especially as it breaks it). I can't see any particular reason for the update either. The much touted Carosel fix (i.e being able to delete items from it) is not present.

I'll do some more digging....
The Following User Says Thank You to sl0ttedpig For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mherder
Old
Thanks Meter 5
As far as i can tell the updated did nothing except kill the root...

sl0ttedpig
Old
(Last edited by sl0ttedpig; 29th November 2011 at 11:17 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mherder View Post
I left mine alone for about 10 minutes after i checked earlier for the update. Now its been auto-updated. I lost root access and i keep getting android market has quit errors. Great.

Can i just reroot? or what now?
If you are brave! Personally, I would wait for some of the more experienced devs to give it the once over first.

Veritass
Old
Thanks Meter 42
idk if mine updated yet but if it did ill try SOC(super1click) to re root it when i get home (in about 30 min) Idc if i ruin my fire i payed 15$ for it

sl0ttedpig
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritass View Post
idk if mine updated yet but if it did ill try SOC(super1click) to re root it when i get home (in about 30 min) Idc if i ruin my fire i payed 15$ for it
Thanks for being the guinea pig! Let us know how it goes. I'm not quite as brave, although if someone else confirms it works, I'll be the first one to do it afterwards!