Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,151 Members 49,529 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[BOOT] FIREFIREFIRE 1.2 - bootloader with recovery selection

Tip us?

pokey9000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by death2all110 View Post
This is awesome!

Not trying to nitpick, but is there a way to add on-screen options or no?
Maybe at some point. I'm just trying to get something that works for now. With one button there isn't much benefit imho other than a message that says "press button now for recovery"

death2all110
Old
(Last edited by death2all110; 30th November 2011 at 08:44 PM.)
Thanks Meter 235

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey9000 View Post
Maybe at some point. I'm just trying to get something that works for now. With one button there isn't much benefit imho other than a message that says "press button now for recovery"
Well fine then! I see how it is. Just shoot everyone down... jk

Great work man!
But that is what I was thinking, It can either normal boot and get shown a brief message like "Press Power Button again to boot in.to recovery." And if you hit the button again it boots recovery.

pokey9000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by death2all110 View Post
Well fine then! I see how it is. Just shoot everyone down... jk

Great work man!
But that is what I was thinking, It can either normal boot and get shown a brief message like "Press Power Button again to boot in.to recovery." And if you hit the button again it boots recovery.
Thanks

Right now it goes into recovery if you just hold the power button down when turning it on instead of just hitting it quick. I could add a delay and just throw some text at the bottom of the boot logo. Hmm... now that I think about it, how about this:

-Boots up, shows a splash screen with the logo and some text like "hold down power for recovery"
-Listens for fastboot for up to 5 seconds, enough to run fastboot on the commandline real quick
-If it doesn't get a fastboot connection in 5 seconds, it checks the state of the power button
-If the power button is pressed, boot recovery, or else boot normal

Also if anyone has any better logos than what I've got now... Requirements are that most of the screen area must be a single color like the current logo, or the logo won't compress well enough, and must be 600x1024.

MrJandD
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks

Right now it goes into recovery if you just hold the power button down when turning it on instead of just hitting it quick. I could add a delay and just throw some text at the bottom of the boot logo. Hmm... now that I think about it, how about this:

-Boots up, shows a splash screen with the logo and some text like "hold down power for recovery"
-Listens for fastboot for up to 5 seconds, enough to run fastboot on the commandline real quick
-If it doesn't get a fastboot connection in 5 seconds, it checks the state of the power button
-If the power button is pressed, boot recovery, or else boot normal

Also if anyone has any better logos than what I've got now... Requirements are that most of the screen area must be a single color like the current logo, or the logo won't compress well enough, and must be 600x1024.
I'd be willing to create a cool boot-logo, how would just a flame in the background and some text saying "FireFireFire Bootloader" on top of it?

Thelgow
Old
Thanks Meter 47
I dunno if it's just me but once I read the title FIREFIREFIRE I pictured Beavis and Butthead. One day..

pokey9000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJandD View Post
I'd be willing to create a cool boot-logo, how would just a flame in the background and some text saying "FireFireFire Bootloader" on top of it?
I was actually thinking of something getting away from the name of the bootloader since in the scheme of the user experience it's pretty insignificant. Andy with some flames in the background maybe, or a Nook Tablet on fire (yes, i'm that bitter and petty)

pokey9000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelgow View Post
I dunno if it's just me but once I read the title FIREFIREFIRE I pictured Beavis and Butthead. One day..
That's exactly what was going on at 1am... I needed to make a splash screen (Amazon doesn't include the stock one in the source, trademark and all that) and I typed the first thing that popped into my head into the editor.

MrJandD
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I was actually thinking of something getting away from the name of the bootloader since in the scheme of the user experience it's pretty insignificant. Andy with some flames in the background maybe, or a Nook Tablet on fire (yes, i'm that bitter and petty)
Hard to make a nook tab one color

How about the text FireBoot?

Im open to idea's.

MrJandD
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Default First Edition.

How about this?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fire Base.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	800646  

pokey9000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJandD View Post
Hard to make a nook tab one color

How about the text FireBoot?

Im open to idea's.
It doesn't have to be one color. The image has to be mostly background and the background must be a solid color. It all has to do with RLE compression, like GIF or faxes where black text on a white page compresses down really small. There's only about 8-10k to spare for the boot splash, so we can't just put up a full screen photo of something or smooth gradients.

Tags
bootloader u-boot