FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

Mobile Data Charges - WI-FI Sleep issues

1,268 posts
Thanks Meter: 173
 
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Ok so I've had the Nokia Lumia for 2 weeks now and I've just had a text from my network saying that I have almost used all of my 500mb data allowance already, stunned I rang Talkmobile up to find out that the phone has been using 3mb of data every second nearly!

I've now turned off the mobile internet in the settings to prevent a huge bill!

I don't understand this as its my work phone, so only use if for incoming emails really,and I'm always connected via WIFI at work and at home, so it seems to me that when the phone locks the WIFI automatically switches off and then runs on mobile data.
There are no settings to rectify this either.

Please check your allowances as this has used 487mb in 12 days!!!!!!

P.S After looking online it appears that either there is a bug or it's just the phone, but it disconnects the Wifi to save battery, meaning that it will run off mobile data occurring huge data consumption!!

Any one else noticed this, as some of my colleagues have this phone and the are on Orange and haven't noticed massive allowances.
 
 
30th November 2011, 04:44 PM |#2  
sonydesouza's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 72
 
More
It's a known problem...There isn't priority when wifi is on...So 3g collection is on top at the same time..

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
The Following User Says Thank You to sonydesouza For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th November 2011, 04:45 PM |#3  
maverick1103's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 173
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonydesouza

It's a known problem...There isn't priority when wifi is on...So 3g collection is on top at the same time..

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Ok well I hope this is fixed in the patch that's due out next month!

Thanks
30th November 2011, 05:01 PM |#4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
I don't think it's going to be fixed with the patch you think of as this is system specific issue. All wp7 devices work this way. It's down to microsoft not Nokia
30th November 2011, 05:04 PM |#5  
maverick1103's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 173
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by robart76

I don't think it's going to be fixed with the patch you think of as this is system specific issue. All wp7 devices work this way. It's down to microsoft not Nokia

Well Microsoft need to sort themselves out!
30th November 2011, 11:29 PM |#6  
sonydesouza's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 72
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick1103

Ok well I hope this is fixed in the patch that's due out next month!

Thanks

Your welcome !

Sorry for typo !!!

1st December 2011, 06:12 PM |#7  
Ikkari's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
More
I never use Wifi and have a 1GB dataplan... I'm updating my apps, listen to mp3 streams, 3 email accounts, sometimes watching youtube videos, surfing the web, using live tiles... in short words i have a heavy data usage...

But never used more than 600-700Mb in 30 days...

There was/is a bug with specific mail accounts (think it was yahoo), I'm not sure if it is fixed... But 500Mb in 12 days seems to high to me...

BTW i like the fact that it's disconnects WiFi when locking the screen, else it would eat up my batteries in 4 hours...

Maybe MS should provide a option for active WiFi under the lock screen... but I
personally wouldn't use it...
1st December 2011, 06:29 PM |#8  
maverick1103's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 173
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikkari

I never use Wifi and have a 1GB dataplan... I'm updating my apps, listen to mp3 streams, 3 email accounts, sometimes watching youtube videos, surfing the web, using live tiles... in short words i have a heavy data usage...

But never used more than 600-700Mb in 30 days...

There was/is a bug with specific mail accounts (think it was yahoo), I'm not sure if it is fixed... But 500Mb in 12 days seems to high to me...

BTW i like the fact that it's disconnects WiFi when locking the screen, else it would eat up my batteries in 4 hours...

Maybe MS should provide a option for active WiFi under the lock screen... but I
personally wouldn't use it...

I think having an option would be better than not as my Samsung GS2 has it and I have the Wifi on never sleep, but I've not noticed it drain my battery.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2

I own Nokia Lumia 800 and HTC Desire HD also.
2nd December 2011, 05:59 PM |#9  
Member
Rome
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
THis is getting annoying..
I use a lot an app called whatsapp and i discovered that when i put the lockscreen the wifi go in standby too (also if the is no 3g where i live) and i dont recive any notification from whatsapp.

Once i reeneter the phone then i get all messages also back from 2 hours.

I cannot stay there every 5 minutes to check if a message arrives and with all my preovious android phone this wasnt a problem cause wifi was never off with lockscreen so i could still be in the world.

If this is a big issue i think this wp wont live much in my hands. 2 days i liked a lot but cant live with this ms decision..sort of nonsense, at least they should have putted an option where WE decide.

Sad sad.
2nd December 2011, 06:01 PM |#10  
maverick1103's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 173
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDNet

THis is getting annoying..
I use a lot an app called whatsapp and i discovered that when i put the lockscreen the wifi go in standby too (also if the is no 3g where i live) and i dont recive any notification from whatsapp.

Once i reeneter the phone then i get all messages also back from 2 hours.

I cannot stay there every 5 minutes to check if a message arrives and with all my preovious android phone this wasnt a problem cause wifi was never off with lockscreen so i could still be in the world.

If this is a big issue i think this wp wont live much in my hands. 2 days i liked a lot but cant live with this ms decision..sort of nonsense, at least they should have putted an option where WE decide.

Sad sad.

Couldn't agree more, options are great at least we can decide on poor battery life or a huge bill!
Very poor!
2nd December 2011, 06:13 PM |#11  
brummiesteven's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
Turn off sending feedback, this is a really old bug don't know if it was fixed or not.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes