Bring Back LTE on the Google Nexus 4 Running Lollipop

One of the predecessors of the latest, largest, and greatest Gooogle Nexus 6(theGoogle … more

Google Maps, My Maps, YouTube, Androidify, Slides, Music Updated–Here’s What’s New

In the last few weeks, Google has been … more

SuperSU BETA: Root Android Lollipop on Stock Kernel

Up until now, if you wanted to get root on Android 5.0, you needed to flash a modified … more

Android App Review: Get Amaze with Material Design – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. Android 5.0 … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Stock gingerbread keyboard *removes stock keyboard [Has auto-correct]

OP Indirect

30th November 2011, 09:29 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 2,960

2,323 posts
Donate to Me
More
Note: Voice input doesnt work but atleast we have autocorrect finally.

Just gonna drop this off here first:

landscape:

Portrait:

Note: Autocorrect doesn't show up in landscape but does in portrait!. I can't access keyboard debug menu on my tablet so I figured I would try ICS keyboard and well...that didnt go well so I thought...why not the gingerbread keyboard? And poof! It works perfectly minus voiceinput*because I cant get into debug menu* so, time for instructions?

First, you need to put the APK on your SDcard:
Download link: here
Next you need to push to your SDcard either through adb or just using USB mass storage.
Afterwards copy to system/app/ using a file manager *ES file manager or Root explorer is recommended. Root Explorer for those of you who use paid apps or ES for those of you who want a free alternative. I used Root explorer.
Here is the VERY important part, mod the permissions to the following:
Code:
Read, Write
Read
Read
Finally, just reboot and you will have it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
Code:
You can redownload the stock APK from here
and follow the rest of the guide starting after you download. It's the same universally. Also note that not all keyboard apps work well in system which is why I did it with the stock gingerbread app. Ice cream sandwich keyboards aren't too /system friendly.
Last edited by Indirect; 30th November 2011 at 09:47 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Indirect For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th November 2011, 10:18 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
it works well. I hope we can get the ICS keyboard up and running. Their is just a small visual issue with background behind the keys being white not black like in your screen shots.
30th November 2011, 10:23 PM   |  #3  
Flag Florence, AZ
Thanks Meter: 190

910 posts
More
I'd be happy if I could get Swiftkey Tablet up and running, but I'll give this a shot. I found the menu where you can change the colors of the default keyboard, but some other ones have added functionality that I'd like to have.
30th November 2011, 10:24 PM   |  #4  
Flag Florida

2,323 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenike192

it works well. I hope we can get the ICS keyboard up and running. Their is just a small visual issue with background behind the keys being white not black like in your screen shots.

Yeah, I already found that bug. I'll see if anyone I know can help with that issue.
30th November 2011, 11:18 PM   |  #5  
Flag Florida

2,323 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenike192

Found the fix for it but it's using another persons work so I'll wait until I have permission to post it.
30th November 2011, 11:53 PM   |  #6  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 68

224 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidzoo

I'd be happy if I could get Swiftkey Tablet up and running, but I'll give this a shot. I found the menu where you can change the colors of the default keyboard, but some other ones have added functionality that I'd like to have.

I'm using Swiftkey Tablet X on my NT- I had to side-load it using the instructions from the Alternative Keyboard thread, then I updated it from the Market and was then able to set it up. IMHO, it's the perfect keyboard for the NT.

Landscape
Portrait
1st December 2011, 12:36 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
nice I'm looking into swiftkey now. I bought it for my evo and liked it but then I got the ICS keyboard and I like its simplicity.
1st December 2011, 02:04 AM   |  #8  
Flag Florence, AZ
Thanks Meter: 190

910 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaptoons

I'm using Swiftkey Tablet X on my NT- I had to side-load it using the instructions from the Alternative Keyboard thread, then I updated it from the Market and was then able to set it up. IMHO, it's the perfect keyboard for the NT.

Landscape
Portrait

I tried that and couldn't get it to work, but that is a discussion either for PM's or another thread.
1st December 2011, 02:51 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 55

477 posts
More
Works great. But same issue. Keys are grey, letters are black, but the background under the keyboard is white. Still, the way I depend on autocorrct, this is tits.

This thing gets better and better with each visit to xda.

Edit-nm. High contrast theme took care of that. Jes
Sent from my Nook Tablet using xda premium
1st December 2011, 04:29 AM   |  #10  
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 21

211 posts
More
Another beauty. It looks like all stock gingerbread apks will be able to be ported over if Barnes and noble just renamed and replaced with their own concoction of an app

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread