5,600,612 Members 34,143 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DEV] CM11 Work-In-Progress

Tip us?

andyrubin1
Old
Thanks Meter 12
just wondering, will this truetouch driver update (https://github.com/martinezjavier) be incorporated and will it improve the screen sensitivity, esp. around the edge, for the nook? thx.

djfrost17
Old
Thanks Meter 5
i'm excited!!

thanks in advance for all the hard work!!
SGSIII
euroskank (CM10.1)

Nexus7
CleanROM

agemyth
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I've only just started noticing the lack of activity in this device's community, so while I would love to tinker around with ICS on my Nook I understand how it may not a very big priority for developers. Do what you guys can with the knowledge, technology, and time you have and maybe I'll get new software to play with, but maybe I won't. This device has already been made a far better device than B&N intended it to be anyway.

Thanks for all the current and future work you guys devoted to this device

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
D2ATT
CM10.1 Stable

unsivil_audio
Old
Thanks Meter 74

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoareyou View Post
no test zip? I would like to test, Im not one of those people that wont reprt back, i will tell what i find wrong
Finding whats wrong isn't a problem right now, which is exactly why they didnt release flashable zip file. They did however post a link to the source, which if you know how to compile that, you know how to get it running on your device and may actually be of some use to the devs in getting other things working.

Moto X (1053) -
Stock, retired Nexus 5 - Carbon'd ElementalX v.36 2.9ghz/300mhz, Galaxy Note 8.0 - Carbon'd KK, Nexus 4 - Stock, retired
Nook HD+,Motorola Atrix 2, HTC Aria, Nook Color,HP Touchpad, Nexus 7 16gb - Sold
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unsivil_audio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fattire
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4371
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer.pro.2000 View Post
Sweet! Lookin' pretty good. I hope the binaries for the UI acceleration get updated. Has the nook tablet source and files dropped yet? I seem to remember the NC and nook tablet having similar video hardware. Could be wrong. Are those binaries in that tablet as well?
The nook tablet uses an OMAP4 es ("enhanced security") from Texas Instruments that has a signed bootloader, which is checked on boot at the hardware level. The signed bootloader (u-boot) in turn checks the signature of the kernel and the ramdisk. Which means, fwiw, that you can't easily replace the bootloader or kernel (or basic startup sequence in the ramdisk) without it being signed by Barnes & Noble.

That said, people have run stuff "around" the existing kernel/ramdisk as nemith has done with cwm. Or you can just run apps you want within userspace (ie, using their kernel/ramdisk) by rooting Android with Zergrush and then installing the market or sideloading or whatever as several threads on this site tell you how to do. There were also several articles on this recently.

Interestingly, the signed kernel does load unsigned kernel modules, meaning a specially-crafted module can theoretically be written to "kexec" (ie, run) a 2nd, unsigned kernel/ramdisk "from the inside" of the kernel. That "second boot" possibility would facilitate the running of alternate OSes, and there have been attempts to do this with the Motorola Milestone. And finally, if anyone finds an exploit in uboot (such as improper validation of input, say while it reads bootcnt or bcb files or something), this too might also be another way to get a "normal", unsigned kernel/ramdisk to run, and therefore ICS would be a lot easier and control would be restored to the owner of the hardware.

That said, a philosophical opposition to DRM has lead a lot of people I've talked to to just say "F the nook tablet" and not purchase one in the first place. Dunno.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fattire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Whoareyou
Old
Thanks Meter 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsivil_audio View Post
Finding whats wrong isn't a problem right now, which is exactly why they didnt release flashable zip file. They did however post a link to the source, which if you know how to compile that, you know how to get it running on your device and may actually be of some use to the devs in getting other things working.
I know how to, but my new laptop (HP Pavilion G6) dosent like linux well, and i cant get wifi to connect, networks show up, but it never connects So, i cant d/l the source ((
Device: HTC One (M7, Silver)
ROM: ViperROM

If you don't like me or my projects, READ THIS!

^^^^^^^^^^^^CLICK THE DOCTOR FOR EPICNESS^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Trust Me, I'm the Doctor" -The Doctor

jh1523
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Great work so far.

Umm... is there a donation address set up so I can send a touch of... encouragement? Stimulus? Call it what you want. Beer fund.
The Following User Says Thank You to jh1523 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

luigi90210
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattire View Post
The nook tablet uses an OMAP4 es ("enhanced security") from Texas Instruments that has a signed bootloader, which is checked on boot at the hardware level. The signed bootloader (u-boot) in turn checks the signature of the kernel and the ramdisk. Which means, fwiw, that you can't easily replace the bootloader or kernel (or basic startup sequence in the ramdisk) without it being signed by Barnes & Noble.

That said, people have run stuff "around" the existing kernel/ramdisk as nemith has done with cwm. Or you can just run apps you want within userspace (ie, using their kernel/ramdisk) by rooting Android with Zergrush and then installing the market or sideloading or whatever as several threads on this site tell you how to do. There were also several articles on this recently.

Interestingly, the signed kernel does load unsigned kernel modules, meaning a specially-crafted module can theoretically be written to "kexec" (ie, run) a 2nd, unsigned kernel/ramdisk "from the inside" of the kernel. That "second boot" possibility would facilitate the running of alternate OSes, and there have been attempts to do this with the Motorola Milestone. And finally, if anyone finds an exploit in uboot (such as improper validation of input, say while it reads bootcnt or bcb files or something), this too might also be another way to get a "normal", unsigned kernel/ramdisk to run, and therefore ICS would be a lot easier and control would be restored to the owner of the hardware.

That said, a philosophical opposition to DRM has lead a lot of people I've talked to to just say "F the nook tablet" and not purchase one in the first place. Dunno.
there have been talks about kexec on the nook tablet but from last i read is that kexec was disabled in the kernel so they were looking into 2nd init

ON TOPIC: i would donate if there is a donate link set up

fattire
Old
(Last edited by fattire; 1st December 2011 at 09:53 PM.) Reason: link to eff
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4371
Speaking for myself, I ask that you consider donating to the Electronic Frontier Foundation -- Eff.org -- they help keep our right to hack/jailbreak/root our own hardware safe and legal when corporations or government (usually under heavy lobbying from corps) try to infringe on it. And to that end, they also take up the legal defense of folks who are threatened or sued unfairly, such as just a few days ago with the security blogger who posted a spyware/rootkit warning and was hit with an intimidating takedown legal threat by the company he outed. They also fight laws that would censor or wall off parts of the Internet.

Donations to the EFF are tax deductable for US residents as well. They are one of the few organizations concerned with defending the Internet and digital-related interests of normal citizens and consumers, and a donation to them is really doing yourself a big favor.

Plus I think they'll send you a hat.

/end of pitch.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to fattire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

luigi90210
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattire View Post
Speaking for myself, I ask that you consider donating to the Electronic Frontier Foundation -- Eff.org -- they help keep our right to hack/jailbreak/root our own hardware safe and legal when corporations or government (usually under heavy lobbying from corps) try to infringe on it. And to that end, they also take up the legal defense of folks who are threatened or sued unfairly, such as just a few days ago with the security blogger who posted a spyware/rootkit warning and was hit with an intimidating takedown legal threat by the company he outed. They also fight laws that would censor or wall off parts of the Internet.

Donations to the EFF are tax deductable for US residents as well. They are one of the few organizations concerned with defending the Internet and digital-related interests of normal citizens and consumers, and a donation to them is really doing yourself a big favor.

Plus I think they'll send you a hat.

/end of pitch.
im gonna look more into that but ill probably donate to that foundation
thanks for the info and i wish you luck with ics fattire

Tags
cm10, cm9, jellybean, nook color ics, winning