5,605,373 Members 41,337 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unlocked bootloader without root?

Tip us?

curly9
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Default Unlocked bootloader without root?

Well i am not rooted at the moment cause i flashed a zip that took root off and still have a custom kernal going with unlocked bootloader is that even supposed to be possible?

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

radrian92
Old
Thanks Meter 177
Thats impossible. As soon as you flashed that "zip" it over writes everything. You need to be unlock to have a custom kernel

curly9
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
well thats what i thought but i couldent use root explorer or any root access apps but when i turn off the phone it still says unlock

Nerorising
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly9 View Post
well thats what i thought but i couldent use root explorer or any root access apps but when i turn off the phone it still says unlock
Interesting. Interesting indeed. Is there anyway you could upload a vid of this?

curly9
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
i wouldent suggest it seeing now after it turned off it wouldent do the sbf files to fix. idk if it was dealing with that cause the sbf always finishes but ends up in a boot loop which as of right now im trying to fix it. but if it happens again ill c what i can do to show you. cause i always thought you had to be rooted to have an unlocked but idk if it was just a one time thing

radrian92
Old
Thanks Meter 177
Is the super user app installed?

curly9
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Yes it was

SNAAAAKEE
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I have this same issue right now how it happened for me is that I orginally used the one click root method I found here. Later down the road I noticed that a stable build of cm7 had come out so I decided to try it out. I flashed pudding and it worked just fine and unlocked the device when I went to go get clockwork on the device however, I noticed the my root was no longer working reading in the comments section I saw that the one click root method was not compatible with the unlocked bootloader. I tried to root the phone with the system.img file that it mentioned using in the guide it worked at least as far as pushing it to the device but still no root. I then tried to flash the device back to stock I used the sbf file provided and it did wipe the phone but I still have the unlock icon when I boot the phone and can no longer root it no matter what method I try. If anyone can help me with re locking my device, I would greatly appreciate it.

curly9
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Have you tryed the depudding. Go into the pudding unlock section theres one that relocks it just like how u unlocked it

pkomarnicki
Old
Thanks Meter 52
As far as I'm aware, being unlocked and being rooted are two separate processes on this phone. You don't have to have one to have the other. I've been rooted and locked, rooted and unlocked, and unlocked with no root. Hope that helps.

And I haven't had any problems with the one-click root and unlocking or sbf-ing back to stock.

Sent from my MB855 using XDA App
Moto X Dev Edition XT1060
Stock, Unlocked and Rooted

Previous Devices:
Droid Razr HD XT926
Motorola Photon
HTC Evo
Nexus S
Palm Pre