Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,959 Members 46,466 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy Nexus vs Galaxy S2: Comparison reviews make me love my SGS2 even more

Tip us?
 
sn0warmy
Old
#1  
sn0warmy's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 774
Posts: 1,792
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Default Galaxy Nexus vs Galaxy S2: Comparison reviews make me love my SGS2 even more

Like many others, I've been drooling over the Galaxy Nexus since it was announced. However, the more I read about it, the less interested I am to get one. At this point it seems that the only real upside to moving from the SGS2 to the Galaxy Nexus is ICS. But we all know there will be an ICS port available for the SGS2 within the upcoming months anyway, so that's a moot point.

Two comparison reviews I read:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/4262...ung-galaxy-s-2

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/compar...galaxy_s2.html

Considering that the Galaxy Nexus is larger, has an inferior screen (supposedly), and lacks the ability to upgrade the internal storage due to lack of an SD card slot, I'm really losing sight on the appeal for the Galaxy Nexus.

Are you still planning on upgrading to the Galaxy Nexus when it becomes available? If so, why?
Current
LG G3 (D851)

Previous
Nexus 5 // Nexus 4 // Galaxy Nexus // Nexus One
The Following User Says Thank You to sn0warmy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
typoknig
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 9
Join Date: May 2010
Plus the Nexus only have a 5MP camera. One reason why I was considering the Nexus is because of the NFC technology Android Beam. I know a lot of people may need the extra space of a micro SD card slot, but a lot of people don't even have a micro SD card in their GS2 just because it doesn't come with one. Either way you go, you will be getting a good phone
The Following User Says Thank You to typoknig For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
sn0warmy
Old
#3  
sn0warmy's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 774
Posts: 1,792
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Yeah, the 5mp camera appeared to be a turn off to me at first as well. But I have seen some comparison pictures taken with both phones and the 5mp camera on the Nexus does seem to be a bit clearer than the 8mp camera on the SGS2.

However, I don't typically choose a phone due to its camera. So this doesn't really matter to me.
Current
LG G3 (D851)

Previous
Nexus 5 // Nexus 4 // Galaxy Nexus // Nexus One
The Following User Says Thank You to sn0warmy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
wannagofast
Old
#4  
wannagofast's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 127
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PSL, FL
Ya I was debating these two for awhile. I went Tmob GS2 and don't regret it one bit...better cpu, gpu, modem, SD card, camera, lighter, smaller, etc. For me a phone any larger than the GS2 and I not interested, it has taken some getting use to the larger size in my hand coming from a Nexus S.
The Following User Says Thank You to wannagofast For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
unlvmike
Old
#5  
unlvmike's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 100
Posts: 417
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Las Vegas
I'm most likely going to own both of them. I love the nexus line of phones. Nothing like stock. They are both amazing from what I have seen and will decide which is better for myself after using both.

There is enough hate in the world. Why can't we all get along here ...?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unlvmike For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
setzer715
Old
#6  
setzer715's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 202
Posts: 1,202
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Phoenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0warmy View Post
You do realize that both of those reviews are of the i9100, right? That phone is really a COMPLETELY different phone than the SGH-T989! There needs to be a comparison to the T-Mobile US version of the SGSII.

Quote:
Considering that the Galaxy Nexus is larger
The Nexus is larger in height but not width, it is in fact thinner in width.

Quote:
, has an inferior screen (supposedly)
Where the heck did you read that? Are you talking about Gorilla Glass? It has a reinforced glass, Google wouldn't let them put **** on their latest and greatest after the Nexus S flop

Quote:
, and lacks the ability to upgrade the internal storage due to lack of an SD card slot
Who uses more than 32GB?

Quote:
Are you still planning on upgrading to the Galaxy Nexus when it becomes available? If so, why?
YES. Because it is a Nexus. ICS. Updates BEFORE ANY OTHER PHONE GET'S THEM. Will have HUGE developer support. Best display available. There's more, can't think of them now.

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0warmy View Post
Yeah, the 5mp camera appeared to be a turn off to me at first as well. But I have seen some comparison pictures taken with both phones and the 5mp camera on the Nexus does seem to be a bit clearer than the 8mp camera on the SGS2.

However, I don't typically choose a phone due to its camera. So this doesn't really matter to me.
I agree totally. When I first read the stats with a 5mp camera first thought was, "why"? But I have too seen the comparisons. I'm willing to get they upgraded the optics. All that aside, I don't take many pictures with my phone. I use my camera for that so it's a minimal spec.

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannagofast View Post
Ya I was debating these two for awhile. I went Tmob GS2 and don't regret it one bit...better cpu, gpu, modem, SD card, camera, lighter, smaller, etc. For me a phone any larger than the GS2 and I not interested, it has taken some getting use to the larger size in my hand coming from a Nexus S.
Hmmm...Better CPU - You sure? This CPU (TMO SGSII) is pain to do anything productive with.

GPU - Ok, may be a LITTLE better, but I doubt you would ever notice the difference. As far as I've read that GPU performs just fine for any game available on Android.

Modem - What are you talking about? The HSPA+ speed?

SD Card, yeah, talked about that already.

Lighter - Um, NO, they weigh the same.

Camera - More pixels means **** if the camera itself cant handle them.

ETC - What else? You say you can't handle a larger phone? I thought this thing was huge when I got it and wanted to go back to my Sensation but in time I grew to like the size. Just FYI, the Nexus is taller but skinnier. Thinner too by .6mm.
LG G2 - CM11
Nexus 5 - PurityROM
Nexus 10 - PurityROM
Nexus 4 - My Son is using it running PurityROM
TMO SGSIII - CM10.1
HTC One S - Sold
TMO SGSII - Sold
Sensation 4G - Sold
MT4G - Got a new one! Stock 2.3.5 with root.
Nexus One - CM9!
Vibrant - Let in-law use it. Just wasn't cutting it for me.
MyTouch3G Slide - Returned
MyTouch 3G - Sold
G1 - Sold
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to setzer715 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
typoknig
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 9
Join Date: May 2010
Default NFC Android Beam Correction

I didn't think the GS2 had NFC (Android Beam) but I was just reading the back of the box and it says it is NFC enabled, so maybe it does. This pushes the GS2 over the top imo.
The Following User Says Thank You to typoknig For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
movieaddict
Old
#8  
movieaddict's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 356
Posts: 2,105
Join Date: Jul 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
There just isn't enough added to it besides ics for me to buy it!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffcorey View Post
You don't have to do anything in life except die. But unless you don't want any headaches, listen to the people giving you advice, they know what they're talking about.

IF ur a Noob watch this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmvCpR45LKA

IF I HAVE HELPED U, I WOULD LOVE TO BE THANKED

My phone: Tmobil Samsung Galaxy S 4-rooted loving it!!


NEXus 7: rooted and loving it
The Following User Says Thank You to movieaddict For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
setzer715
Old
#9  
setzer715's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 202
Posts: 1,202
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Phoenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by typoknig View Post
I didn't think the GS2 had NFC (Android Beam) but I was just reading the back of the box and it says it is NFC enabled, so maybe it does. This pushes the GS2 over the top imo.
Menu>Settings>Wireless and network>Check NFC to enable.

Yes, the TMO SGSII has NFC.
LG G2 - CM11
Nexus 5 - PurityROM
Nexus 10 - PurityROM
Nexus 4 - My Son is using it running PurityROM
TMO SGSIII - CM10.1
HTC One S - Sold
TMO SGSII - Sold
Sensation 4G - Sold
MT4G - Got a new one! Stock 2.3.5 with root.
Nexus One - CM9!
Vibrant - Let in-law use it. Just wasn't cutting it for me.
MyTouch3G Slide - Returned
MyTouch 3G - Sold
G1 - Sold
 
mackster248
Old
#10  
mackster248's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 643
Posts: 2,913
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Palmdale, CA

 
DONATE TO ME
The GN is better than TMO's SII in almost every way. The fact that its a 720p screen is such a big winner. 4.6' WVGA screen looked really bad to me. And I would take a TI-OMAP4 processor over Qualcomm's S3 processor any day of the week. Plus it's straight from Google. You save yourself the headache of wondering whether you're going to get the next Android firmware upgrade.

I bet the SII wont even officially get ICS until Q2 of next year, and that's probably after the SIII is released lol. Just like what happened with the first generation Galaxy S.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
------------------------------
Current Phone:
T-Mobile LG G2 (D801)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes