Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,637 Members 39,242 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung intercept, prepaid on platinumtel, is it safe to root.

Tip us?

Boltons75
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default [Q] Samsung intercept, prepaid on platinumtel, is it safe to root.

Just got my daughter this phone for Christmas, through the prepaid provider platinumtel. I know that they piggyback off of Sprint towers, but does anyone know if this is safe to root and flash a custom Rom onto. All of my rooting and flashing has only been done with OG Evos, but I would like to give my daughter's phone the freedom my Evos have. Would flashing a custom Rom mess with the prepaid settings in any way?
Sent from my Evo 4g, rooted with the Rev. tool.....

Boltons75
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Well I powered it up today for the first time, and its loaded with all the normal Sprint bloatware. I would like to root it if for nothing else, to get rid of sprints bs bloatware.

Sent from my now rooted, Revolutionary, OG Evo.

jluyt
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Where did you buy the EVO from? I am also looking for a better phone on Ptel and as you know it has to be plbl in order to get it to wwork and I have been having a hard time finding high-end plbl phones that I can get over to ptel.

J

Joeseph Mother
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Flashing a kernel to get root wouldn't affect the prepaid settings, flashing a rom might affect voicemail and mms.

penguinrepair
Old
(Last edited by penguinrepair; 7th January 2012 at 05:00 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
intercept root will get temporary root, and you can then flash cm01 recovery with it, then in recovery, make a system/data backup to the sdcard, delete the bloatware in the filemanager, you can always root it later if you want with the same app

Boltons75
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeseph Mother View Post
Flashing a kernel to get root wouldn't affect the prepaid settings, flashing a rom might affect voicemail and mms.
Thanks, I will go ahead and root it then, any suggestions on roms for this phone, my EVO usually runs Mik roms. Just want something lean and clean.

jluyt
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Boltons75... I am also busy trying to root a Intercept on Ptel. What I cannot come past yet, is the 1st step of rooting - Loading the USB drivers for the Intercept.

Have you done this yet?
If you have and connected to the phone, what drivers did you use? Also, what OS? Windows 7 32-bit? Windows 7 64-bit or XP?

J

Boltons75
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluyt View Post
Boltons75... I am also busy trying to root a Intercept on Ptel. What I cannot come past yet, is the 1st step of rooting - Loading the USB drivers for the Intercept.

Have you done this yet?
If you have and connected to the phone, what drivers did you use? Also, what OS? Windows 7 32-bit? Windows 7 64-bit or XP?

J
Just did it today with the apk intercept root, easy, install the app, and press the root button. It was rooted in less than 3 minutes from the time I installed the app. Now I'm just looking for a suitable Rom for it, it doesn't have the selection that I have for my evo.

Boltons75
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluyt View Post

Have you done this yet?

J
http://androidforums.com/sprint-inte...intercept.html

Here is where I found it.

jluyt
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Morning -- this looks great. I am going to give it a try tonight and will let you know. I looked at Ubuntu last night, but a all new OS to learn in addition to this intercept issue could take me a while so this apk hopefully does it for me too.

J