Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Bluetooth on Nook Tablet

OP petergrfn

2nd December 2011, 08:43 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
San Jose
Thanks Meter: 2
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
I have a nook color and I currently use it as my primary in-dash Navigation using external GPS receiver and bluetooth gps provider.

I recently got a nook tablet, Since there is no CM build for this one, Wondering is there is any way to get the bluetooth working?
2nd December 2011, 08:51 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 2,961
 
2,324 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergrfn

I have a nook color and I currently use it as my primary in-dash Navigation using external GPS receiver and bluetooth gps provider.

I recently got a nook tablet, Since there is no CM build for this one, Wondering is there is any way to get the bluetooth working?

Not right now, no. There are the files but the issue is that we don't have a way to activate it *I think we might need atleast a kernel module.
The Following User Says Thank You to Indirect For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd December 2011, 09:05 AM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 226
 
341 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Donate to Me
More
Question External GPS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergrfn

I have a nook color and I currently use it as my primary in-dash Navigation using external GPS receiver and bluetooth gps provider.

I recently got a nook tablet, Since there is no CM build for this one, Wondering is there is any way to get the bluetooth working?

I have a "spare" Nook Color, and would like to do what you do. Questions:
  1. What "external GPS receiver and bluetooth gps provider" do you use?
  2. I assume you are using a CM7 build to enable GPS, correct?
  3. Do you know of a bluetooth solution that runs on the B&N v1.3 software?
  4. What navigation program are you using? I have a friend running Co-Pilot (on an Acer A500), but despite his claim that it almost never crashes, every time I'm in his car and he lets me fiddle with it, it crashes.
Last edited by DeanGibson; 2nd December 2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Better grammar
2nd December 2011, 09:15 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
San Jose
Thanks Meter: 2
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGibson

I have a "spare" Nook Color, and would like to do what you do. Questions:

  1. What "external GPS receiver and bluetooth gps provider" do you use?
  2. I assume you are using a CM7 build to enable GPS, correct?
  3. Do you know of a bluetooth solution that runs on the B&N v1.3 software?
  4. What navigation program are you using? I have a friend running Co-Pilot (on an Acer A500), but despite his claim that it almost never crashes, every time I'm in his car and he lets me fiddle with it, it crashes.

@DeanGibson

I currently use Qstarz BT-Q818 66-Channel Bluetooth GPS Receiver (Look it up on Amazon, Its little pricey and overkill for navigation. But very very very accurate, fast and weeks worth of battery)

Yes I am using CM 7 Stable version

Bluetooth on B&N software: No . There is no way to detect hardware under stock settings. I don't think they have drivers installed in stock version.

I am using Co-pilot. I also tested route 66. Both are reasonably stable. I never had crashes. But sometimes bluetooth goes into sleep and won't return. All I need to do is toggle off and on bluetooth.
The Following User Says Thank You to petergrfn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd December 2011, 09:27 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 226
 
341 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Donate to Me
More
Question More questions ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergrfn

@DeanGibson

I currently use Qstarz BT-Q818 66-Channel Bluetooth GPS Receiver (Look it up on Amazon, Its little pricey and overkill for navigation. But very very very accurate, fast and weeks worth of battery)

Yes I am using CM 7 Stable version.

What have you found to be the max reliable bluetooth range for the Nook in this configuration?

Also, I can't tell from the pictures how it mounts. Does it have a visor clip?
Last edited by DeanGibson; 2nd December 2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Add questions
2nd December 2011, 10:28 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
San Jose
Thanks Meter: 2
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGibson

What have you found to be the max reliable bluetooth range for the Nook in this configuration?

Also, I can't tell from the pictures how it mounts. Does it have a visor clip?

I tested only upto 1.5 meter so far with no issues. I didn't get chance to test to fail for bluetooth range.

I have a small compartment on top of dash board. I just left it in there. No visor clip or adhesive strips(it doesn't come with any). Based on my testing, it works fine without direct view to sky, then i guess it may use up more juice.

Be sure to use BN 2 amp car charger/compatible for quick charging in car. Other car chargers also work.. But your drain rate is more than charge rate when display is on.
The Following User Says Thank You to petergrfn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th December 2011, 07:34 AM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Flag Adelaide
Thanks Meter: 1
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGibson

What have you found to be the max reliable bluetooth range for the Nook in this configuration?

Also, I can't tell from the pictures how it mounts. Does it have a visor clip?

I would say on most of my mobiles with BT, I can use my BT headset within 10meter of direct sight. Some of them is better when there are walls between but varies a little.

I don't know about visor clips sorry.
10th January 2012, 03:34 AM   |  #8  
Member
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 5
 
30 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2008
More
Cool Nook color Bluetooth range is way less than normal mobile
Ccl13, the nook color was not intended to use Bluetooth so the hardware is not optimized for it... The best I managed was just over 2 ft.

On my phone or my iPad I get at least 10ft usually more depending on line of sight and what is in the way. (at one point I was listening to a podcast from 40ft before my headset lost connection.
26th January 2012, 10:48 PM   |  #9  
Member
Northern California
Thanks Meter: 8
 
39 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2006
I've had really good range using a Bluetooth keyboard (I use the Zippy BT-500). I tested it to about 25 feet indoors. Running CM7 now but before that Phiremod with same BT range.
19th March 2012, 12:25 AM   |  #10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
VERY interested in Bluetooth Keyboard for Nook Tablet
I own an 8GB nook tablet. I'm greatly enjoy using it as a reader-but having a real keyboard would make the whole package much, much nicer.

I hope this is available fairly soon-I would appreciate any leads folks have.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bluetooth, drivers, gps, navigation, nook tablet
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes