UPDATE on bad / inferior Titan Sound Recepton:
Following a suggestion, I un-set (TURNED OFF) my attentive phone 'flip for speaker' option, so as to NOT automaticially go to speaker only when turning phone over & setting it down for hand free use during a call. This seemed to help some. (But a drag as this was a very nice touch - Most of my usage is in office / for business)
Per 'Cubanaso', above, I am also being more attentive to not holding the phone at the top where the antena may be, and also holding it lower so as to speak nearer the microphone on the bottom edge of the phone. (Why the heck did HTC place the main voice microphone so far out of the line of normal user speach? Maybe an attempt to save $ & go with only one microphone for both normal handheld usage, and also for face down on the table hands free usage? It would seem better to have two good mics, and via software use one for main speach, and the other for noise cancelling input, depending upon orientation.)
(This specialized custom grip is a pain because of aviding so much 'verbotten' contact with the phone - Can't touch the top off/on switch, nor the camera button, nor cover the microphone, nor where the micro-USB charger is attached. Too many restrictions, until new habits are learned . . .)
Anyhow, some more minor improvement, but still inferior sound quality for the person being called (whether they are on their own other cell or landline.)
BALMADOR: I bought mine at the AT&T corporate store on Main St. in White Plains NY. The sales kid, and contract, both promised a 30 day return period.
I am surprised that, of the (presumably) thousands of Titans out there, there are so few complaints about sound quality. Maybe I / we just have the rare problem ? ? ?
Any other insight from HTC, Google, or other web sites, etc.??? (I already checked WPCentral.com, and nothing more there . . .)
There are a few other problems, although not as major as this:
- Some phone numbers within given contacts (entered in outlook 10/ exchange 10) do not display on the the Titan. Seems to be 'Car', and others . . .
- Want access to the file storage space to set up directory structure for downloaded files (like the windows subdirectory structure & access), rather than just dump them into a single place managed by the system, without any identifiers other than the file name.
- The sync & skydrive of files seems random &/or flakey - We do not have the time to debug this.
- The HTC / AT&T issue standard documentation is superficial. (Also there is no WIKI, or no easy to access WIKI yet on XDA Developers, or I can't find it . . . Suggestions ? ? ?)
- Finally, Office Mobile seems generally flakey. For example, - Seems impossible to read & edit any file formats prior to office 2010, - Very difficult in Excel to highlight and drag a several cells, - can't figure out how to copy & paste reliably, etc., etc. . . .
Summary - I want to like & keep the Titan (another unit) so I am still inclined to try an exchange, or return the phone. Does anyone else have any further suggetions? (Maybe wait & try the Lumina 800 some day - What system will that be on, Verizon or AT&T ? ? ?)