Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Home dock for car use?

OP magicland

3rd December 2011, 04:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6

57 posts
Saw a nice video on YouTube about a guy who mounted his Streak on his Harley using the home dock, and figured at the least, the dock would make a good starting point for a car installation. All other mounting options require that you not only plug in the power connector at the bottom of the Streak, but also a cable into the headphone jack to get audio out, and, in my understanding at least, with the dock you can just plug the Streak into it, and it should turn off the Streak's speakers and direct the output to the dock's audio-out connector(s). Since the dock has disappeared from Dell's website (at least in the US, still listed in the UK), can someone who has one tell me what type of audio out connectors it has? Don't suppose there's any way of getting a back-up camera to display on the Streak, eh?

Also, what sort of power connector does the home dock have? Something I can adapt to be powered by the car?
Last edited by magicland; 3rd December 2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Added more
3rd December 2011, 11:38 PM   |  #2  
Wiki Admin / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,595

3,547 posts
The 30 pin dock connector supports:

USB out
USB charging in (2.0A)
USB dock sense
USB-OTG in
HDMI out
Line out

It reroutes though hdmi/lineout by sensing what's plugged in.
Lineout is sensed by being docked, hdmi is sensed by being connected.

The dock has no active chips, it's merely traces that run from port to port.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheManii For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th December 2011, 09:29 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
The audio out is 3.5mm stereo. Get a 3.5mm to RCA stereo cable.
The power cable comes with the dock. It's a standard USB connector on one end, and a prorietary connection on the back of the dock.
You can connect power off of a 12v car adapter that you can plug a standard cable into. I got the adapter from RadioShack. They make a nice 2 Amp USB cigarette lighter adapter. Get the 2 Amp.

I've been running a home dock in my car for at least 6 months. It works like a champ. I used a piece of flat aluminum bent into an L to hold the dock and place pressure on the bottom portion of the tablet to create enough resistance so the tablet doesn't fly out. I used rubber feet I got from RadioShack placed on the L bracket so as not to scratch the tablet and provide the needed resistance.

Mounting the dock will vary from car to car. Getting the dock mounted and stable is the hardest part. Again you need to have enough resistance on the tablet when docked so that it doesn't go airborne when you take a hard corner or launch your car off the line.

I drive my car like I stole it, on a daily basis. I haven't had the tablet come out of the mount yet.

No way to wire in a back up camera. You'd have to bring the video in wireless somehow. It would be cool, but more trouble than it's worth IMHO. If you go for a back up cam and get it working well let us know.
Last edited by elodahl; 9th December 2011 at 10:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to elodahl For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th December 2011, 05:38 AM   |  #4  
OP Member

57 posts
Cool, just found one for $50 and $2 shipping. I've got a good bit of dash real estate on my Mountaineer, where a Kenwood 7" double-DIN touchscreen/nav is now installed. Figure there's room for the dock and a standard DIN HU behind where the tablet will sit.

Will it run dual-screen with the dock? I'd like to convert the HDMI out to run video to the rear monitor. I'm cool with it displaying the same video onscreen as the external monitor.
14th December 2011, 06:28 AM   |  #5  
Wiki Admin / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,595

3,547 posts
The hdmi out mirrors what's on the screen, but on the s7 it only outputs at 720p and not 1080p like other t2 tabs. I dont believe you can set it to anything but mirror.
17th December 2011, 11:04 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

57 posts
Thinking about the camera, was wondering if some sort of wireless TCP/IP camera might work. I know there are apps to view them on android, the trick would be getting it networked to either the streak or my cell phone (which the streak will be wirelessly tethered to).
13th January 2012, 09:48 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 2

41 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicland

Thinking about the camera, was wondering if some sort of wireless TCP/IP camera might work. I know there are apps to view them on android, the trick would be getting it networked to either the streak or my cell phone (which the streak will be wirelessly tethered to).

As I understand it the dock also has a mini USB host port. An OTG cable to a USB camera might work.
Last edited by RCounts; 14th January 2012 at 03:38 AM.
26th February 2012, 09:55 PM   |  #8  
OP Member

57 posts
Finally got around to installing the dock in my Mountaineer. Just for a "proof of concept" trial I put in an old Kenwood single-DIN HU that I had lying around. Used 3M heavy duty "Velcro" on both the bottom of the dock and in the slot in the dash adapter (this one is from Metra, Scosche also makes one, but I don't know how well that will work).

Streak is tethered to my cell, so I get internet access for nav, tune-in radio pro, Iheart radio, Google Music, Netflix, etc. Unit is powered by the OEM T-Mobile car adapter. No video out yet (and I was wondering if the line out audio cuts out if the HDMI is used or not). I've got the USB cable hooked up and running to the glove box for access, but I've got no use for it as yet.

Simple, easy hookup, but it looks pretty decent when the tablet is hooked up, and despite washboard roads and high speed sharp turns, it stays put and working. Now I just wish there was an app that would allow me to use the tablet as a bluetooth adapter for my phone, so I can place and answer calls...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread