Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App
|View Poll Results: Would you prefer Google Music or stock Music as ROMs default music app?|
|Voters: 584. You may not vote on this poll|
Gah... figures that the first ROM I install for my new GS2 gets discontinued the day after I install it. :P Ah well.
I'll still post my observations/feedback...
1) While I initially liked the ICS theme, I keep finding places where it doesn't work. There are buttons where the text is too big and overflows off the button, buttons and pulldowns that no longer look like such because they've been flattened, and odd dark theming here and there which just doesn't work in that location.
2) I miss all my lockscreen options from the Captivate days. We used to get handfuls of really nice lockscreens to choose from. None of the GS2 ROMs seem to offer this though, for some reason.
3) Do I miss out on (or gain) anything specific by running an XWLA4-based ROM (Galaxy Note) on my GS2 versus a native GS2 ROM like something KH7 or KK6-based? I remember on the Captivate, if we ran a native ROM we had Audience support, but if we ran an I9000-ported ROM we gained HSUPA+ (but lost Audience).
4) Was getting some random reboots with the latest Siyah kernel, but switched to the latest Entropy DD kernel and they went away.
5) Since ICScrewD is now EOL, I hope it's not rude to ask this... but, if you're going to migrate to a new ROM in order to continue to get updates, I'm curious what other people will be choosing. I originally tried SHOstock but quickly moved off from it as it only had ONE lockscreen so I was hoping for more.
Overall, though, it's been a much-improved experience from my Captivate. Everything is faster and more-stable. Restored my apps and data with TB and been enjoying it immensely.
Just a couple things for you - I think most folks over here on the SGS2 are using MiLocker or WidgetLocker to customize lockscreens, rather than having options built into the ROM - for people who are building in options, seems like it's typically via JKay Mod (as it is here on ICScrewD). Personally I like WidgetLocker, but many seem to prefer MiLocker.
Unless I'm totally off base here (I don't think I am) XWLA4 is not a Galaxy Note base, but an i9100 international SGS2 Base.
AFAIK, the only thing we really lose on these (and I might be wrong here - can't remember if it was actually resolved or if all the devs just disable it in their ROMs) is use of the noise cancelling mic.
at this point, I'm planning on sticking to what I have until I see a level of development of ICS that I can live with as a daily driver. Being kind of OCD, I can't deal with the screen on/off bug over there in a daily driver ROM. Once that gets resolved, I'll probably go to ICS.
I've tried MiLocker and got very frustrated with it. I've heard of WidgetLocker but not tried it. Both get LOTS of complaints about excessive battery drain, so considering that was one of my biggest gripes with my Captivate, I've tended to shy away from 3rd-party locker utilities (many of which seem to have compatibility issues with the GS2 specifically, for some reason).
I guess I was just spoiled... but on the Captivate ROMs, having 7+ lock screen options baked right into the ROM was the "norm". And they were very, very nice lockscreens.
Hmm maybe you're right as I didn't spend tons of time researching, but the bit I did suggested it originated off the Galaxy Note (one of the things I did was search all open forum for "LA4" in the topic. Topics in the Galaxy Note boards made up the vast-majority and it suggested that that's where it came from).
Edit: there is a thread detailing what ends up in ported dev vs dev forums - basically if there is significant modification to any base by a dev here, it goes in regular dev. Ported is for things that come from the i9100 forum with minimal mods, just enough to get them functional on our device. That's not a comprehensive explanation, but I think that's the basis for the distinction. All came about because of a glut of hellraised/flashaholic'ed i9100 ROMs that got ported over and clogged the regular dev forum.
Incidentally... shouldn't all LA4-based ROMs be in the "Ported Development" board, either way??
As in the Audience chip? Grr, bummer... didn't realize that was still an issue with the GS2. Since I'm not getting my lock screens on LA4 ROMs and stock ROMs support HSUPA+, maybe I should switch back.
I'm feeling the same way, and so am willing to put up with some quirks as the ICS development seems to be going strong since the I9100 sources dropped, so hopefully something solid will come of that soon and my 2.3.x ROM experience on the GS2 will be only temporary.
|battery, i777, ics, jivy26, rom|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|