Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,216 Members 53,304 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What it took me to get in the "Top 5%" (its rigged)

Tip us?

kletiz
Old
(Last edited by kletiz; 7th December 2011 at 02:10 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Default What it took me to get in the "Top 5%" (its rigged)

I'm obviously an AT&T subscriber with unlimited data. I know that back in early October AT&T started throttling their "top 5%" heaviest data users. Me being the curious person I am, wanted to find out what it took to get yourself into the top 5% and the results were shocking.

Last month, I set my phone up to download ungodly amounts of podcasts, mostly video podcasts. I managed to get my data usage up to 27 gigs.
Proof:
http://i.imgur.com/R9hV7.png
http://i.imgur.com/2CWKH.png
I received no notice informing me that I was in the top 5%. During this same billing period, I was noticing users complaining on XDA that they were getting warnings from AT&T about being in the top 5%. When it was asked how much data it took them to get into the top 5%, it seemed to be right around the 5 gig mark. It was then asked what data consuming apps they were using. In their response it seemed to be that netflix was a common factor to get flagged to be in the top 5%.

This month, I started using netflix on my phone just to see if I would get flagged at the 5 gig mark...Low and behold, I received the warning yesterday notifying me I was in the top 5%, right at the 5 gig mark. All it took was for me to watch one movie.
Proof:
http://i.imgur.com/1A7Ne.png
http://i.imgur.com/k7mWx.png
http://i.imgur.com/kqcG1.png

So this is why I believe its rigged, out of all the unlimited data subscribers AT&T has, they're telling me from month to month there is a 22 gig difference in what it takes to be in the top 5%? It seems as though this is a major anti-net neutrality move on AT&T's part against netflix traffic.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kletiz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gtg465x
Old
(Last edited by gtg465x; 6th December 2011 at 10:30 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,835
Nice find. I'll be care about using Netflix over 3G.

edit: Good point Red.
Current Phones:
Moto X GSM Unlocked

Previous Phones:
HTC One Unlocked, Nexus 4, iPhone 5, Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4S, HTC One X, Nokia Lumia 800, HTC Titan, Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Infuse, LG Thrill, HTC Inspire, Samsung Captivate, HTC Aria, Samsung BlackJack II
Red5 Old
Thanks Meter 0
Perhaps because you used 27 gigs last month, it red flagged your account and automatically dropped you into the top 5%?

Id be curious to see someone who has never been in the top 5% and start using Netflix alot to see if they get flagged... and then to have someone who has never been flagged and use 27 gigs of data and see if they are automatically dropped into the 5% bracket.

I am not advising, telling or suggesting anyone to use 27 gigs of data or to use Netflix!

quarlow
Old
Thanks Meter 309
Last month I used 4GB using netflix in a week. 2GB was tethering my phone to my TV and using Netflix on my TV, because its faster than my home connection. I ended the month with 8GB, using WiFi at home where I usually don't (Because its slower). I use occasional netflix, but last month was definitely more than usual. Normal for me is 6-7GB. I have never been notified that I was in the top 5%.

Maybe they use a moving average, or the calendar month instead of billing cycle.

There is a lot of mystery with the to 5%, just like tethering detection, I think we can guess at what we think they do, but I don't think we will ever know what they really do.

Plus they may focus on different markets, based on speed and congestion, I live in an area with HSPA+(according to AT&T), but never see faster than 3Mbps, usually see 1.5-2. Maybe top 5% is based on time/speed of connection vs MB downloaded.

Thanks for reporting your observances, but I don't think its just a Netflix based trigger.
i-mate JAQ > HTC 8525 > iPhone 3G > iPhone 3GS (it was a dark time in my life, I was confused) > Palm Pre > HTC Aria > Samsung Captivate > LG Thrill > Samsung Focus > Samsung Galaxy S II (I777) > HTC One X > Samsung Galaxy Note II (I317) > Samsung Galaxy S 4 (I337) + HP TouchPad
The Following User Says Thank You to quarlow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Red5 Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarlow View Post
Last month I used 4GB using netflix in a week. 2GB was tethering my phone to my TV and using Netflix on my TV, because its faster than my home connection... I live in an area with HSPA+(according to AT&T), but never see faster than 3Mbps, usually see 1.5-2.
You use your phone because its faster than your home connection, yet you only see 1.5-2Mbps? Damn.

Based on this info with Netflix involved, I bet the usage of 27Mbps red flagged his account and auto put him in the 5% category.

kletiz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
You use your phone because its faster than your home connection, yet you only see 1.5-2Mbps? Damn.

Based on this info with Netflix involved, I bet the usage of 27Mbps red flagged his account and auto put him in the 5% category.
So why would they choose to throttle me this month when last month was the one that was excessive? You'd think they would try to be proactive and never let me get to 27gigs rather than reactive and wait until the next month when I'm only at 5gigs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

chibixzero
Old
Thanks Meter 30

DONATE TO ME
funny I actually got a text too about 5% thing.. from watching netflix. I before netflix I would about the same amount of data and no notice. If they do it we you use netflix wouldn't that counts as spying

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium
Phone: ATT SAMSUNG galaxy SII
AT&T Galaxy S4

Saintzero
The oldest Megaman Gaming site

Kadin
Old
Thanks Meter 99
This thread just proves my theory: Canceling Netflix a couple weeks back was the right thing to do!

In all seriousness, I'm interested to see how this plays out. Seems pretty lame for them to throttle your speed after the fact - unless like Red said, you got 'flagged' first and then they took notice.
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337 [Stock 4.2.2 rooted w/ CWM 6.0.4.4 (LOKi'D)]

echonc
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I just recently moved and have been with-out home internet for a week and a half. (time warner is coming tomorrow). I have been tethering for that time watching netflix and anything involving using the internet. I was am generally a lite data user 2gb or less a month. This past week I have 5gb, so I will let the community know if I get a text or I get throttled.

colbynmeghan
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I use Netflix at work all the time just to watch old series I miss.
I usually hit around 3GB around the middle of my Billing cycle not month. Last month I hit over 7GB and never got a text from att

I attached my last one. Shows i'm only 2 Weeks into my Billing cycle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA App

The Following User Says Thank You to colbynmeghan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]