[Tutorial] How to root CDMA wildfire s and s-off and other great tutorials
Moderator, please consider this thread to be a sticky, it will save many hours of googleing research, and in my case a lot of creativity. It will also open development wide open for all to do. Also I'd like if you could, can we get a section going for the Virgin Mobile USA Wildfire S (CDMA) this is only a general section after all. and this is highly Virgin Mobile Specific
Adhoc connections through wifi:
Its located here
I personally use this hack, SSRom has this built in
Note: I saw this here on XDA, if your the dev, PM me and ill give you the proper credit
Prerequisites: Windows, A USB cord for your phone, HTC Drivers, which are installed with the HTC Sync software, USB DEBUGGING ENABLED, and two files i will mention in the directions.
1) Download this
2) unrar the diag files, and unzip simple gold card.
3) BACK UP YOUR SD CARD, NOT AN OPTION!!!!!
4) Open simplegoldcard.exe in the unzipped file, and run as administrator in windows vista or 7
5) Plug your BACKED UP phone into your computer, enable disk mode
6) Select your phones device letter and select FORMAT SD CARD
7) Change your phone to Charge Only now
8) Select MMC1 in step three and click GetCID and copy it into the web page that the program links to and fill out the capatcha
9) Download the image file
10) Go to step 5, load the image you just downloaded
11) Place phone into disk drive mode, and click patch MMC
12) you have a working gold card now!
13) Place these files on the ROOT of your Goldcard, PG76DIAG.nbh and PG76DIAG.zip DONT EXTRACT THE ZIP
14) Once that has been done power off your phone and pull the battery for a good 5 seconds just to make sure it's completely off.
15) Boot into HBOOT by holding Volume down while pressing the power button (you do not need to hold the power button, only hold the volume down button) The HBOOT screen will boot up and then you can let go of the Volume down button.
16) The phone will automatically scan the SD card for the files we just put on the root of the SD card and will start the update process.
17) A screen will appear that says Clean s58. Press the power button once to select clean s58 and the phone will start doing it's thing and should take about a good 20 seconds until it's finished.
18) Once the process is complete then pull the battery to turn the phone off.
19) Remove the SD card from the phone, then boot into HBOOT again (VOL DWN AND POWER, if you cant remember
20) It should now say S-OFF at the top of the screen, you can now do much more with your phone. Just pull the battery and boot like normal.
Alternate: 2fast4u88: his link is here
Prerequisites: Windows, USB Cable, USB Debugging, files I mention in the directions, and S-OFF
This one thanks to CLShortFuse for the file
1) Download this
and run as administrator
2) Make sure your drivers are installed and you have your phone on charge only and USB debugging enabled
2.5) Disable HTC Sync in task manager (Thanks for the reports guys)
3) make sure auto is selected in the Exploit
4) Click root, and wait
5) If it says do you want to test, click yes
6) If it wants to install Busy-box click yes
7) Your now rooted, enjoy
Alternate: Install my SSRom, it comes with buisybox and root
Prerequisites: S-off, Fast boot in the settings menu OFF, Root (as far as I know, you may not need root)
1) Keep your gold card from when we got your Wildfire to S-off
2) Download this
file DO NOT unzip
3) Now move this file to the root of your gold card UNZIPPED
4) Pull the battery
5) Put the battery back in and hold the Vol DWN rocker and power button, then install the Zip with up arrow.
6) Wait for the update symbol to go away, and your done. Pull the battery out, and boot like normal. You MUST delete this zip to boot into custom recovery. Custom recovery is accessed by the VOL DWN and Power then down to recovery then power. Your now in our new recovery.
This guide is created by me, however I DIDN'T create the recovery file, a Dev I can not find the name to did. It is tested, and 100% working, it is the GSM file, but no problems. If you have the CDMA Version, PM Me and ill add yours and credit.
Change PRL for faster Internet and better signal:
You must download QPST, the PRL file, an app on the phone and be rooted:
1) download this on the phone from android market
2) Open the app, and accept the superuser request.
3) Tap read MSL
4) Write down your MSL, you'll need it
5) Go to the phone app, dial ##PORT# and hit on, then select.
6) Enter your MSL and click OK
7) Plug into a computer and download HTC diag drivers attached to this thread
8) Go ahead and Google and download QPST
9) Download and unzip the attached 60681.zip
10) Now for fun, If anything confuses you, Google it.
10B) go to the device manager, and select the unknown HTC device, then update driver. then browse>let me pick from a list>have disk>go to downloaded unzipped folder>choose the appropriate folder for your OS type>click the driver. Now open, next, yes, close. Right click HTC Modem, and go to Properties>Advanced port settings>see what your COM port is
10C)Open QPST CONFIGURATION and select port. then add port, here you type the port your HTC MODEM is on.
10D) Your phone will now show up, and you will click start client>service programing
11) click your device and OK.
12) DO EXACTLY AS I SAY NOW! NOTHING ELSE!!! NO LOOKING AROUND!!!!!!!
13) Click read from phone, Give it the MSL you wrote down
14) Now click save to file
15) Click roam
16) Click browse where it says file and in that you put the 60681.prl you downloaded AND unzipped
17) Write to phone. THIS WILL RESTART THE PHONE, BOOT MAY TAKE A WHILE DON'T PANIC
18) Enjoy faster Internet
NOTE: You may get a Nv_readonly error, this is fine it still worked. Use speed test app to test
Link2Sd for more space untill i get apps2sd support
1) Download Link 2 SD from the market, its the blue sd card
2) Download a program called Mini tool Partition Wizard (thanks to Lumify) in windows, or use disk tools in Linux
2b) Plug your phone into your computer, set for disk mode
3) Partition your SD card for a second partition, Fat 32, primary
4) Put your phone into charge only, or eject and unplug
5) Go to Link2sd and select fat 32/16 create mount script
6) Reboot your phone
7) Go through and move all your apps to the new partition
8) Enjoy your new-found space
Please let me know if there are any problems with it, ill fix them. This has been through 2 other forums to get it worked out, so most all bugs are gone
But i cant be 100% sure. if you follow to a T there will be no issue of bricking your phone