Extreme measures for better battery life

OP MartyLK

7th December 2011, 02:26 AM   |  #1  
OP Account currently disabled
Flag Oklahoma City
Thanks Meter: 177

3,967 posts
More
I finally decided I would take some extreme measures to aide the BL of my Androids. I have an HTC Inspire and HTC HD2 with Nexus S Android. The HD2 isn't all that bad...much better BL than the Inspire, but I wanted to apply this measure to both phones. Will it help? Only time will tell.

I started by removing all screen widgets. Then I sorted the screen icons so that a minimum of homescreens were needed...got it down to 2 homescreens. Then I deleted all widgets without apps not able to be opened through an icon. Then I went into Applications manager and cleared and stopped all non-used apps and services. I also deleted all duplicate services such as OEM email accounts and their associated syncing....using add-in apps for them. (example: built-in apps and widgets like Facebook, Twitter are uninstalled or disabled and am using another combining app like Seesmic. Same goes for the email app)

What I currently have is an Android iPhone. I'm using only icons on the 2 homescreens. And this makes me understand why Apple refuses to use widgets and stick with icons...to preserve BL. I hope this will improve the BL of my Androids because it is purely horrendous. And it is horrendous with all Androids I've tried and used.

Until the recently announced battery tech breakthrough is made available, this might have to be how Android is used from now on. But I doubt these extreme measures will actually help.
The Following User Says Thank You to MartyLK For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th December 2011, 05:24 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 2

12 posts
What is the difference between a widget and an application?
The Following User Says Thank You to squishy506 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th December 2011, 06:13 AM   |  #3  
Flag Wisconsin
Thanks Meter: 145

382 posts
An application is a single, whole program package that is loaded into the phone. Examples would be Tapatalk, the default Calculator, and Angry Birds.

An application can have one or more widgets in it -- a widget is an interactive thing you can place on the home screen. It can give you information, and you can tap on it to change what it says. A good example of that would be Beautiful Widgets, or the little Android guy that tells you about how to use your new phone.

Sent from my Wildfire S
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to primetechv2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th December 2011, 01:39 AM   |  #4  
Flag San Antonio, TX
Thanks Meter: 2

95 posts
More
@Marty, how long was your battery lasting prior to the "Extreme Makeover"? Mine currently will last me 2 days. Admittedly, I've not loaded a lot of stuff on the phone yet, and I have the power saver mode start at 70%...but I only need to recharge every other day.
9th December 2011, 12:11 PM   |  #5  
Flag Gent
Thanks Meter: 0

19 posts
My desire lasts around 2 days with moderate usage. But on a good day (read: many boring moments), it's completely depleted by the end of the day. My biggest battery drainer is whatsapp, if I uninstall the app my battery will last a LOT longer.

If i really need my phone to last for a long time (when Im on a big trip or on a festival) I always use JuiceDefender with a very strict setting. This is a big help, but not for everyday use
9th December 2011, 02:39 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 160

93 posts
whats the point? Where ever you sleep you have access to a plug/usb w/e so whats the big deal ? how hard is it to charge the phone every night? even thought my galaxy s2 hold battery for 40hrs+ i never need that :|
The Following User Says Thank You to grudas For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th December 2011, 09:21 PM   |  #7  
Flag Halifax
Thanks Meter: 360

755 posts
Donate to Me
More
Ive dont the same thing, I also found some build prop and init.d tweaks that improve battery life.

my brightness is always at minimum, i have only one widget,

My battery could last two days BUT i use my phone a lot. like its on for 7 hours with 4.5 hrs screen on.
9th December 2011, 09:25 PM   |  #8  
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 179

2,132 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by grudas

whats the point? Where ever you sleep you have access to a plug/usb w/e so whats the big deal ? how hard is it to charge the phone every night? even thought my galaxy s2 hold battery for 40hrs+ i never need that :|

Hilarious.
9th December 2011, 09:27 PM   |  #9  
Flag Hartford, Connecticut
Thanks Meter: 454

1,856 posts
Donate to Me
More
ther have been many apps and disucssions on BL. heres some common tips.

screen to lowest brightness possible setting. background data always off unless using market. disable -use wireless networks- options, no gps, no location. also turn off *back up my data*. wifi always off not in use. screeen timeout no more than 2 minutes. turn off animations and transitions. setcpu with moderate settings (if you can do a screen off profile it will be beneficial but beware Sleep of Death.) no live wallpapers. minimum widgets or none. minimum homescreens or 1. startup manger. adfree. location cache app. and battery calibration to get the most juice.
9th December 2011, 09:35 PM   |  #10  
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 50

134 posts
Donate to Me
More
the issues seems to be alot with hardware the Htc inspire and HD2 have 1250 Mah Batteries , which are very small.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread