Ask a question

No registration required

Extreme measures for better battery life

OP MartyLK

10th December 2011, 02:05 AM   |  #31  
Thanks Meter: 24

207 posts
More
i have my NS OCed to 1.36GHz, have 7 homescreens almost full 5 of which are widgets with news (tweeter, pulse etc) i use it to message a lot and have music playing for a good number of hours daily. wifi permanently on (in and out of house) sometimes cell data and BT as well. still it manages to get a full day, 7:30am-12:30am with around 20% left each night
10th December 2011, 02:46 AM   |  #32  
Flag Milwaukee, WI
Thanks Meter: 115

749 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by polobreaka

whats the difference between 'autostart' and 'autorun manager'?

Autostart runs programs/scripts when you boot up and autorun manager does the opposite. it block apps that try to start by themselves at boot
10th December 2011, 03:20 AM   |  #33  
Recognized Developer
Flag Houston, TX
Thanks Meter: 593

2,063 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmb03

Autostart runs programs/scripts when you boot up and autorun manager does the opposite. it block apps that try to start by themselves at boot

Actually.... Autostarts is the name of an application that also lets you remove apps from automatic startup on various system events...
10th December 2011, 04:02 AM   |  #34  
Flag Huntington Beach, CA
Thanks Meter: 200

892 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotherius

Actually.... Autostarts is the name of an application that also lets you remove apps from automatic startup on various system events...

so technically they both do the same thing?
10th December 2011, 05:02 AM   |  #35  
Flag Raleigh, NC
Thanks Meter: 79

616 posts
More
Are these really extreme measures?

I've been running 1 homescreen with no icons or widgets with all autosyncing disabled since I got my EVO well over a year ago. I considered all of that stuff pretty wasteful to start with. I was just trying to make the phone feel less cluttered. Turning off synchronizations is probably the biggest battery saver.
10th December 2011, 06:16 AM   |  #36  
Thanks Meter: 2

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetechv2

An application is a single, whole program package that is loaded into the phone. Examples would be Tapatalk, the default Calculator, and Angry Birds.

An application can have one or more widgets in it -- a widget is an interactive thing you can place on the home screen. It can give you information, and you can tap on it to change what it says. A good example of that would be Beautiful Widgets, or the little Android guy that tells you about how to use your new phone.

Sent from my Wildfire S

Thank you. I assume everything I download is an app, and the widget is that newsreel that came with it that probably sucks battery because it's constantly updating online.

---------- Post added at 06:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotherius

Buy the biggest battery I can find on eBay....

Use the fsck out of my phone all day and have plenty of battery left.

Problem solved.

They make larger batteries than what comes with a phone?
10th December 2011, 08:34 AM   |  #37  
Flag NYC [Queens] (N3xus)
Thanks Meter: 85

684 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyLK

I finally decided I would take some extreme measures to aide the BL of my Androids. I have an HTC Inspire and HTC HD2 with Nexus S Android. The HD2 isn't all that bad...much better BL than the Inspire, but I wanted to apply this measure to both phones. Will it help? Only time will tell.

I started by removing all screen widgets. Then I sorted the screen icons so that a minimum of homescreens were needed...got it down to 2 homescreens. Then I deleted all widgets without apps not able to be opened through an icon. Then I went into Applications manager and cleared and stopped all non-used apps and services. I also deleted all duplicate services such as OEM email accounts and their associated syncing....using add-in apps for them. (example: built-in apps and widgets like Facebook, Twitter are uninstalled or disabled and am using another combining app like Seesmic. Same goes for the email app)

What I currently have is an Android iPhone. I'm using only icons on the 2 homescreens. And this makes me understand why Apple refuses to use widgets and stick with icons...to preserve BL. I hope this will improve the BL of my Androids because it is purely horrendous. And it is horrendous with all Androids I've tried and used.

Until the recently announced battery tech breakthrough is made available, this might have to be how Android is used from now on. But I doubt these extreme measures will actually help.

hi tl;dr but your title is self-explanatory. Download Tasker :} You're welcome ^.^
...or if you're an awesome dev, go port over Smart Actions from the RAZR and relish in the white hot sex we will bestow upon you.
10th December 2011, 08:43 AM   |  #38  
Thanks Meter: 3

39 posts
Smile
On my HD2, I have Nexus HD2, version 2.9, with tytung r10. I have also installed Android Assistant, Battery Calibration and BetterBatteryStats. My phone ''it's alive'' even after 4 days in standby.
10th December 2011, 10:50 AM   |  #39  
Senior Moderator - Resident Troll Killer
Flag Somewhere in a Deep Cave on the Troll Kings Throne
Thanks Meter: 6,274

7,495 posts
Donate to Me
More
3 months. Leave phone turned off

Seriously, who said 11 days???? (know what my reply to that is )

Same with 7 days for that matter, although if you remove the SIM functions, it's theoretically possible. Or just turn everything off so it looks at you with a black single color screen.

4 days, max. With cpu profiles. simple usage. Sms, occasional call. CM7.1.
10th December 2011, 12:04 PM   |  #40  
Flag Belo Horizonte
Thanks Meter: 1,432

973 posts
for me is also the type of user, using battery drains very quickly, if it can not last long ..

the only thing that made all the difference for me was setting underclock when in standby ..
Let me give you my example:

I have a Motorola Atrix (CM7)

screen on = 1GHz

on 3G
wifi off (turn on only when I use, but can be used to "political inactivity")
Bluethooth off (I do not use)
Sync off (turn on from time to time and do the sync, do not let on at all times, also drains the battery)

Screen off = 912Mhz

Off 3G, only 2G
Sync off
wifi off

I also use droidwall and blocking access to the Internet from almost all my apps, with the exception that I do not want blocked. (blacklist)

---because manufacturers do not make larger batteries???
---because with so much technology in the devices has not had any moron that made the backs of smartphones solar cells to help recharge the batteries???
"In the case of my country that would be quite functional"

-----I sometimes feel I have a maverick v8 (ATRIX), but my gas tank (battery), is nothing but a bottle of coke .-----------
Last edited by leonardoaraujo; 10th December 2011 at 01:40 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread