Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,650 Members 38,845 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Touchpad won't turn on - home+power doesn't work

Tip us?

suremail
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Touchpad won't turn on - home+power doesn't work

Let me start by saying, Power + Home does not work. Yes, really. I know there are a dozen threads about Touchpads not turning on, and they all have "Hold power and home for 20s" as the reply. Please don't respond with "Hold Power and Home for 20s". I have tried it.

Background

I took my Touchpad with me on a road trip. I did not have an official car charger, but I had one rated at 1 amp. I used this charger with my Touchpad, and it said that it was not powerful enough (as expected). I figured I would let the Touchpad at least get some juice while it was not being used. The battery steadily drained over the next couple of days, to the point where the screen did not come on. I assumed this was because the Touchpad was completely drained.

Once I got to a location with an actual outlet I used the original Touchpad wall adapter and let it charge for a few hours. The screen still did not come on, and there was no response (sound/light/vibration) from any buttons. I let the Touchpad continue to charge over night with the same result.

The Touchpad has alpha 2 on it.

What I have done

I have tried:
  • Power + Home for 15s
  • Power + Home for 30s
  • Power + Home for 1min

• Power + Vol Up for 15s
  • Power + Vol Up for 30s
  • Power + Vol Up for 1min

• Power + Vol Up + Home for 15s
  • Power + Vol Up + Home for 30s
  • Power + Vol Up + Home for 1min

All of the above with and without the Touchpad being plugged in to the wall and PC.
  • Trying WebOS Doctor (does not recognize a device)
  • Trying novacom directly (does not recognize a device)
  • Letting the Touchpad charge for > 1 day and repeating all of the above
  • Letting the Touchpad sit on the Touchstone for > 1 day and repeating all of the above
  • Verifying that the AC adapter is secured properly and repeating all of the above
  • Changing the USB cable and repeating all of the above
  • Changing the AC adapter and repeating all of the above

Results

The only time I have gotten any indication that the Touchpad is actually doing something is when using Power + Vol Up (and Vol Down) with the Touchpad connected to the PC. Vol Up has the Touchpad recognize as Palm. Vol Down has the Touchpad recognize as QHSUB_DLOAD. If I have the Touchpad connected to the PC in one of these states, Power + Home will reset the device (and Windows will not recognize it until I use Power + Vol Up/Down again).

That is the only response I get from the Touchpad. Anything else I have tried results in nothing.

My current plan is to attempt to let the battery completely drain, and then charge it again. I was previously under the impression that my Touchpad was out of power, but the testing with Vol Up/Down has shown me otherwise. My hope is that losing all power will truly "reset" the device.

Does anyone have any advice on anything else I should try? Is there a way to recover the Touchpad via booting it as Palm or QHSUB_DLOAD?
The Following User Says Thank You to suremail For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DJ_SpaRky
Old
Thanks Meter 95
Volume Up + Power while connected to PC, then run WebOS Doctor?

Dbarker 2
Old
Thanks Meter 1
You may have done this, but have you tried pressing home first and then holding it and power together? I couldn't get mine to start by pressing power and then home, but when I held home first and then power it came right on. If you have done that then disregard this, but if not I hope it helps.

FishDoc
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Default Another method

Try power and Volume down. Hold for a minimum of 30 seconds before giving up. It has worked twice for me when all else failed.

FishDoc

chrischoi
Old
Thanks Meter 408
That was very thorough. Once my TP died completely. I plugged it in and it didn't do anything. When I held Power + hitting home 15 times, it would give mea low battery indicator.

I plugged it in and left it over night. By the morning it was on 100%.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrischoi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

suremail
Old
(Last edited by suremail; 9th December 2011 at 07:31 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_SpaRky View Post
Volume Up + Power while connected to PC, then run WebOS Doctor?
It may not have been clear since it came after the list, but I did try this. WebOS doctor does not recognize the device in any mode. I do not know if this is simply because I lack the necessary drivers when it is in one of the other device modes. On the off chance that I didn't I will try again when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbarker 2 View Post
You may have done this, but have you tried pressing home first and then holding it and power together? I couldn't get mine to start by pressing power and then home, but when I held home first and then power it came right on. If you have done that then disregard this, but if not I hope it helps.
I do believe I have tried this, but I will try again when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishDoc View Post
Try power and Volume down. Hold for a minimum of 30 seconds before giving up. It has worked twice for me when all else failed.

FishDoc
It is my fault for leaving it out, but I tried this after exhausting the other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoi View Post
That was very thorough. Once my TP died completely. I plugged it in and it didn't do anything. When I held Power + hitting home 15 times, it would give mea low battery indicator.

I plugged it in and left it over night. By the morning it was on 100%.
I really wanted to avoid the slew of "Hold power and press home!" comments and the followups telling me to hold it longer, hold volume, and all of the other normally recommended fixes. I know how to write a bug ticket or two. I'm also the type of guy who posts a followup with what actually fixes the problem (No "nm, fixed it" from me).

It sounds like my current plan of action is going to mimic what you did. I originally thought the Touchpad was getting no power, so I kept trying to charge it. Now I am waiting for it to lose all power, so I can repeat the process after the device (hopefully) resets. I'm not sure how long that will take since I cannot actually use the device to drain the battery.

Thanks for the responses. Some replies are better than no replies.

pseudotrash
Old
Thanks Meter 7
So i had a similar situation and tried everything you had mentioned and all the suggestions in the thread. Nothing. No power, completely dead. I even left it
overnight on the charger... nothing. For sure i thought I bricked it. Then, I read online that someone tried the following:

Press and hold Power + Volume Up and click the card (menu) button a thousand times.

Wow! It worked! The TP is alive! In actuality, it only took about 30-50 times (not a thousand) of pressing the menu button while holding power + volume up.
I then got the white USB icon in the middle of the screen and then pressed and held the power + menu button to reboot.

What I did find interesting though is the battery was almost discharged even after having it on the supplied charger (not touchstone) overnight.
Anyway, hope this resolves your issue as well.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pseudotrash For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

suremail
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
No go with Home + Power, Power + Vol Down, Power + Tapping Home

pseudotrash
Old
(Last edited by pseudotrash; 12th December 2011 at 08:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by suremail View Post
No go with Home + Power, Power + Vol Down, Power + clicking Home
Just making sure you read it right since you didn't list it above.

Power + volume up + clicking home button repeatedly.
All 3, same time. Just trying to help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pseudotrash For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rflnc1
Old
Thanks Meter 12
^ worked for me..thanks

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using XDA App

Tags
no power, touchpad