How to install Google Currents (and other apps requiring the maps framework)
I was able to install Google Currents by manually adding the framework from the gapps zip normally used by CM7 and other roms.
I've included a maps-framework-kfire.zip
modified zip (maps-framework-kfire) file with only the files you need. The files are in the folders necessary inside the zip. As we can't flash zips from recovery like other devices yet (that I know of) you'll have to put the files in manually. As this uses google services you probably need to have GoogleServicesFramework.apk
installed already in your /system/apps directory (to do this if you haven't either install the market which will include this step or transfer the GoogleServicesFramework.apk there and chmod to 644 like the others below [do this before you reboot as it will be required])
1. Extract the zip file on your computer
2. Copy the extracted files to your device
3. Copy com.google.android.maps.jar into /system/framework via ADB or Root Explorer
4. Chmod (long hold select file in Root Explorer and select permissions) to 644 (owner read/write, group read, others read)
5. Copy com.google.android.maps.xml to /system/etc/permissions the same way
6. Chmod that file to the same permissions
7. Restart your Fire to allow it to recognize the new framework
8. Install this APK Google_Currents_1.0.apk
9. Open the app and select your Google account to continue
This should also allow any other apps to install that require this framework.