Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,428 Members 47,093 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

official ota 5.5.893 should i install it?

Tip us?
 
sorcerer86
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 15
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default official ota 5.5.893 should i install it?

Just turned my phone on and it had a system update available to 5.5.893. I am forever rooted, and I didn't uninstall any bloat, also didn't update any leaked updates. Can I update and keep root, also can I just update or do I need to sbf back to bone stock? I have read all the posts on the leaked ota's but I want to be sure they didn't fix root in the official ota I just got. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to sorcerer86 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
KidJoe
Old
#2  
KidJoe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 643
Posts: 1,723
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thorndale/Romansville, PA
if you didn't install yet... can you use an app (like root explorer), to navigate to your /cache folder and grab the file FIRST?

Forever root "should" hold, and keep you rooted... BUT I haven't received the update to try it to confirm.
The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Terri M
Old
#3  
Terri M's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 29
Posts: 214
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
if you didn't install yet... can you use an app (like root explorer), to navigate to your /cache folder and grab the file FIRST?

Forever root "should" hold, and keep you rooted... BUT I haven't received the update to try it to confirm.
My son received the update, but it's not installing on his phone. It says installation failed. Yes, I was able to grab the 2 files that he downloaded.
Remember to hit the "Thanks" button when someone helps you!
 
KidJoe
Old
#4  
KidJoe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 643
Posts: 1,723
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri M View Post
My son received the update, but it's not installing on his phone. It says installation failed. Yes, I was able to grab the 2 files that he downloaded.
are you able to upload/share?
 
Babyj303
Old
#5  
Babyj303's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 297
Posts: 1,112
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 5280

 
DONATE TO ME
After the update on my bosses phone his extended battery says invalid battery when plugged in. Battery icon itself has a question mark on it? His phone is stock no root or mods any advice or ideas?

Sent from my JUGGED out finger flicker!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Babyj303 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Terri M
Old
(Last edited by Terri M; 9th December 2011 at 11:45 PM.) Reason: added upload link
#6  
Terri M's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 29
Posts: 214
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
are you able to upload/share?
I am uploading it right now.

Here is the update file my son received.

http://www.multiupload.com/0ZEN69NGO2
Remember to hit the "Thanks" button when someone helps you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terri M For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
sorcerer86
Old
(Last edited by sorcerer86; 10th December 2011 at 12:00 AM.) Reason: edit
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 15
Join Date: Dec 2010
Hmm. Just checked cache folder file is labeled 5.5.886.....
But nag screen screen says 5.5.893. Also upping it.
well TerriM beat me to it.
 
Babyj303
Old
#8  
Babyj303's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 297
Posts: 1,112
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 5280

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyj303 View Post
After the update on my bosses phone his extended battery says invalid battery when plugged in. Battery icon itself has a question mark on it? His phone is stock no root or mods any advice or ideas?

Sent from my JUGGED out finger flicker!!!
Problem solved bad battery so be careful and for future reference.

Sent from my JUGGED out finger flicker!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Babyj303 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
sorcerer86
Old
#9  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 15
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyj303 View Post
Problem solved bad battery so be careful and for future reference.

Sent from my JUGGED out finger flicker!!!
Good to hear its not the update. But any news on weather or not it holds root?
 
Terri M
Old
#10  
Terri M's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 29
Posts: 214
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer86 View Post
Good to hear its not the update. But any news on weather or not it holds root?
My son was able to maintain his forever root. I had to update his phone through Stock Recovery, because for some reason the OTA process itself had failed.
Remember to hit the "Thanks" button when someone helps you!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes