Galaxy Player 5.0 Bootloader *ONLY* Hard Brick Recovery

Search This thread
Just bumping this, because I'm sitting in the same boat.
I've been trying for days now, but I'm finally giving up.
My player all of a sudden just didn't turn on anymore. I could force it to turn on by connecting a cable to it and then do some voodoo magic involving plugging the cable in and out while pressing or not pressing some buttons.
I somehow managed to fix the "Exception in blablabla" error and supposedly that put my player into download mode, but actually nothing happened.
Then I somehow managed to flash the files in Odin, that also succeeded, but I still couldn't turn on the player.
Then I somehow managed to turn it on, flashed a stock ROM and still: blackness.
And worst of all, now the voodoo magic doesn't work anymore either :(
So, if you or anyone find another way to do this, PLEASE let me know.

BXWolf92

Jul 2, 2011
New York
Just bumping this, because I'm sitting in the same boat.
I've been trying for days now, but I'm finally giving up.
My player all of a sudden just didn't turn on anymore. I could force it to turn on by connecting a cable to it and then do some voodoo magic involving plugging the cable in and out while pressing or not pressing some buttons.
I somehow managed to fix the "Exception in blablabla" error and supposedly that put my player into download mode, but actually nothing happened.
Then I somehow managed to flash the files in Odin, that also succeeded, but I still couldn't turn on the player.
Then I somehow managed to turn it on, flashed a stock ROM and still: blackness.
And worst of all, now the voodoo magic doesn't work anymore either :(
So, if you or anyone find another way to do this, PLEASE let me know.
Shortly after my post, my device started working then quit again. I've officially given up hope. It is a single core processor after all. Won't be able to handle much, though I was just trying to turn it into a universal remote.

Sent from My ZenFone 2 using Tapatalk

So, I just managed to make it boot into a Russian Froyo ROM, but after turning the player off, it stays off :( I really don't know why.

First, I had to get it into Download mode.
It was extremely hard to get to that point, and I had to run the UnbrickableResurrector at least a hundred times, before I got there.

Then I did the following, making sure to NEVER UNPLUG the device in-between the steps.

1- Flash the files as instructed in Post 1 of this thread.

2- Flash Rumirand's Kernel.

3- Flash G70JKKE3-REV00-ALL-low-CL1014588.tar.md5 (in PDA) AND G70-GalaxyPlayer5.0-8gig-Inter_model_2.3.5.pit (in PIT) with "Re-Partition", "Phone Bootloader Update", "Auto Reboot", "F. Reset Time" ticked.

It then booted into Froyo.

I used these files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bd73ncz0km72vpa/GalaxyPlayer-Unbrick.zip?dl=0 (the Bootloader package provided by @AdamOutler plus the ROM and the PIT file I've used, each in a folder named PIT and ROM respectively.)
and http://www.mediafire.com/?zmosctgvifab9z1 (Rumirand's Kernel).

I am now officially giving up, though. It was to frustrating to see the player boot up, work properly and then, just because of a reboot, nothingness again.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction
    Hey guys.. I came up with a partial recovery method for black screen bricks. It's not a full recovery yet as the device won't get past booting the kernel. However, this is a matter of obtaining the proper firmware... So, until a better firmware is obtained the next best thing is to at least get the device into Download Mode.

Generally Hard bricks occur when the improper firmware is flashed on a device. When the wrong bootloaders are loaded, the device attempts to boot and fails. Instead of hanging, sometimes the device will enter a "Lucky Brick" state. These lucky bricks are very common on Galaxy Player.

The Galaxy Player tends to failover into a safe mode which we call UnBrickable Mod. This safe mode can only effectively be used in Linux because of a lack of decent windows drivers and a lack of any real development for Mac outside of Apple Corp ;).

Heimdall has not yet been upgraded to handle the Galaxy Player so a virtual machine is required for this procedure.

You Will Need:

Instructions
    1. First plug your Galaxy Player into the computer.
    2. Launch the UnBrickable Resurector R36 and observe the following image. If the device does not detect, hold the power and home button for 10 seconds to make the device reboot.
      1qiwcm.png

Note: if you cannot get this screen, stop. You will not be able to continue. You've given it a shot and there are no other known methods which will currently work
    3. Select S5PC111 from the Device Type Dropdown List. Then click the "Download Mode" Button. Your device should be detected as the picture in the following displays. If your device is not detected, try again and ensure you have the proper Resurrector selected
      9kmj42.png

4. Unzip the GalaxyPlayer-Bootloaders.zip to the Desktop folder in your Windows VM
    5. Launch Odin3 in the Windows VM
    6. Set the PIT option as "GalaxyPlayerPart.pit" Set the "Bootloader" option to GalaxyPLayerDownloadModeOnly.tar
    7. In the menu bar on your Windows VM, in Linux, select Devices>USB Devices>SAMSUNG Gadget Serial to attach the device to Windows.
      21jygr5.png

Note: you should see the device connected and a "COM" assigned in Odin after the device has installed properly
    8. Click "Start" on Odin3. Note: If this fails, you will need to reinstall Samsung Drivers.
    9. This is where this guide ends. I have tried several firmwares but none have been effective at recovering the Galaxy Player...
    Conclusion
    Your device is now in Download Mode.. If anyone can help in locating a /data/ partition(Not dbdata), I could sterilizeit of your information and it would be helpful. If anyone can post up an EFS partition, I could remove the information from that and force it into a default...

Basically, I need a full dd dump of every single partition on the device in order to finish this resurrection DIY.
    Hi AdamOutler:

You can find that here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19840746&postcount=420

That's a full dump of /dev/block/mmcblk0
    and how do you upload that through download mode?
    It took many... many tries but I was able to take a fully bricked (black screen - sec s5pc110 test b/d) YP-G70 US 5.0 player and get it back to functioning as new.
    I have CM9 loaded now and runs it like a champ.

I used this guide as well as few others that I found from other forums.

Ultimately, I used a Ubuntu installation and Ressurector to get the player to display the phone (!) computer icon. The trick was (which the instuctions did was not quite clear on) was that the Download mode which the Ressurector get the player into, does not display the Andy with yellow triangle sign. It's the Phone (!) PC icon that is the download mode.

Anyway, I was not able to get a VM session of the Windows within my Ubuntu box (spent 2 hours trying to figure out why!!!) but I had a dual boot session.
    I kept the player plugged into the USB port to keep the Phone (!) PC mode on and restarted my laptop to switch to the Windows session to run Odin.

Here, I had to flash the device with Odin 3-4 times until it let me boot into Recovery mode.

So the first time I flashed with Odin, I followed the direction from OP and flashed the pit and bootloader. This got me to the Download mode... problem was, when I flashed the Eryigit Rom (PDA), it successfully flashed but it was still stuck in Download mode when I rebooted.

So next I got a Stock GB (2.3.6) from here - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1520728 and flashed it. This file contained a pit file as well... and since I was stuck in Download mode, I figured that maybe my system was not seeing the right partitions. So I tried flashing the pit file from here and it got stuck in "Partitions". So When I yanked the cable and restarted my player, now I had the phone (!) pc icon again.
    Back to step 1 and this time, I flashed the pit and bootloader from OP... and then power down and power up to flash the Stock rom that I mentioned above without the pit file found with the rom.... just the stock rom.
    Now, I was booted into recovery mode and recovery mode only... so I got the player back to Download mode and flashed the pit file from the OP but this time, I used the SamsungPlayer Bootloaded found in the OP instead of the Download Mode only bootloader.
    Once this was done, I rebooted the player into Download mode yet again, and flashed the Eryigit's US rom... reboot... recovery... DANM!!!... here I accidentally pressed the restart system and this time I was seeing the Samsung logo... and then Android bootanimation... My player was alive...

Anyway, this was not an easy task but THANK you for pointing me out a few things that I could try in order to get the player back to life.

Sorry for the long post... I know a few on this thread are experiencing the same issues I saw... I am trying to point out that there is a way to fix the player... just got to try a bit harder... :)
    That's my question, lol.

On wednesday I can upload the dd dumps of every partition so they can be flashable via odin.

I've 'dd'ed that image to a sdcard. Checked partition table and it seems ok. So the only think needed is to dump the right partitions. Right now, I'm busy with exams, so I can't before.

This is what we need: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=20201368#post20201368
    Hmm, it gets stuck at "set partition".
    Any advice?

The problem is that we need a partition information table which is proper for each device. I started that thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1389873