Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,823 Members 52,655 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[INFO]What is EpicMTD, and what you need to know.

Tip us?

AproSamurai
Old
(Last edited by AproSamurai; 27th January 2012 at 06:59 AM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1186
Default [INFO]What is EpicMTD, and what you need to know.

Getting started

Before I get into the thick of this, I've been for a little over a week or maybe even more taking as much time as I can to explain to people what MTD is and the risks of it. And unfortunately most people just by natural human tendencies have an issue comprehending it which believe me is perfectly fine haha, it's a lot to take at once. So I'm going to layout the basic need to knows, and if any more information is needed feel free to pm me and I'll add it into this main post.

I'm going to try to make this as simplistic as I can.:x

What is a partition?

A partition is an area of allocated space, a division of the whole overall area of space. In this case our partitions on the Epic 4G are /System, /Data, as well as /Cache. All with set permanent sizes.

What is a partition map?

A partition map is the configuration of our partitions, it's what in a vagueness sets our required sizes for the divisions of our nand also known as flash memory. A partition or partition map should not be confused with a file system. An example would be BML and MTD.

What is a file system?

A file system resides on the partition map and governs the data being read/wrote/moved/etc by the Operating System, in this case Android. Changing a file system is less complex than an overall change in partition mapping. They again, are not the same thing.

What is MTD?

MTD is an Open Source Partition map. It allows those who are using it control over how their partitions are sized and how much space is allocated here and how much space is taken away from there. Currently on MTD we have 689 megabytes of space allocated to our /data partition allowing more to be downloaded from the market as an example. MTD as a partition config has YAFFS2 as a file system residing on it governing how data is transferred and the speed of which it is done. EXT2 through 4 aren't possible on the MTD platform, just as YAFFS2 may not be possible on the BML proprietary platform.

What is BML?

BML like MTD is a partition map, however it is proprietary in nature, Close Source if you will. The size for /System /Data /Cache is set and permanent and makes opening up space more of a task for Developers. Stock the Epic 4G comes on BML, and is running RFS as it's file system, once rooted you can leave RFS for EXT4 (Journaled or Un-Journaled) as long as the kernel you use allows for EXT4. But in the end, changing a file system on BML does not lessen or enhance the control you have over your partitions.

What do I need to know before flashing a rom with this?

Currently there are two distributions which have moved over to the MTD platform.

One of which and the first inital one being:

[ROM] Epicmtd CM7 SELFKANG (12/10) - 2.3.7

And the second which is a basis of the first:

[ACS] [MTD] [YAFFS2] MIUI 1.12.2 Beta 6 MTD (Updated 12/10/2011)

Within the flashable zips for these two roms there are scripts which completely format your device and move you to MTD. It is required to back up the things you wish to keep with Titanium backup if you have it. Nandroids from RFS/EXT4/BML do not work on MTD/YAFFS2. Alternatively if you have purchased appextractor or titanium back up pro licensing from the Android market you can make a nandroid before your move and then extract the data apps or system apps you want from that backup while on MTD/YAFFS2 without going into recovery.

When flashing one of these ROMS in CWM5 your phone shall reboot during the installation if it finds you're on BML, don't panic it is a natural process of this move.

When booting into recovery on MTD it reacts to how long you hold the 3 button combination. Being Volume down, Camera, and Power. Don't panic if it doesn't pop up, you must let go to let it know which path it goes to. If your phone looks like it's booting again don't do the combination. It's switching from the init to the recovery.

CWM 5 is not broken, on MTD our kernel now has a 2 stage init. And it's part of the process.

How do I go about flashing other roms if they're not MTD?

Flashing a Stock TouchWiz rom can be very problematic, mainly due to the nature of and differences between MTD and BML. Currently there isn't a stock MTD kernel. To return to BML, you have a choice of either using Heimdall or Odin. To do so you require the victory.pit as well as a stock tar of your choice which includes our bootloader so that when you repartition your device all goes well without problem. There is no method to return without using Odin/Heimdall because BML is a proprietary configuration. We lack the tools to replicate Samsung's methods and mannerisms.

What does it mean for me as an end user?

As an End User, MTD is an opening to a new life for the Epic 4G. Things like ICS, more space in data or system, are more within our reach and grasp due to the nature of Open Source MTD is immersed in. We're closer to the Captivate, Fascinate, Vibrant, and Galaxy S international by being on MTD, we've that new freedom they've had for a long time. Not to say things like ICS aren't possible on BML but with this we're at a better standing point.

Stock EI22 on MTD

noobnl as well as Tortel have worked together to put a stock EI22 rom for the MTD platform which can be found here.

[EI22] Stock-ish MTD Build

This is for a stock experience and for those want to use MTD as well as make use of the stock features our phone has, nothing out of the ordinary or custom, just as a basic point. Rom Developers can go on towards moving their roms over to this platform now with the use of the boot.img but for now kernel developers will still have an issue nonetheless.

Those responsible for this in no specific order: Decad3nce, noobnl, jt1134, mkasick, nullghost, nubecoder, DRockstar, UberPinguin, Rodderik, wtogami, as well as countless others.

All things within this thread are subject to change if a need for correction is to be met.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Devices Owned: Sprint Samsung Moment, Epic 4G, Galaxy S3, HTC One m8
[My GitHub] [My Twitter]
The Following 100 Users Say Thank You to AproSamurai For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MДЯCЦSДИT
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4621

DONATE TO ME
First. Good post. Sticky request.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MДЯCЦSДИT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

roddygonzo17
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Too bad this wasn't up before I flashed the MIUI update.... It looks like MTD=FML for me. I now have no choice on if i want 4g or not because the only 2 ROMs with MTD are CM7 and MIUI which dont support 4g. Grrrr. I hope someone can make something to get back to EXT4 or RFS W/O odin or heimdall. Last time I used odin to go to a stock ROM it ended up hard bricking my phone and i had to pay $600 for a new one.

I hope other users read this post before making the ssame mistake I did. Thank you AproSamurai.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roddygonzo17 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MДЯCЦSДИT
Old
(Last edited by MДЯCЦSДИT; 12th December 2011 at 01:19 AM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4621

DONATE TO ME
No. Those are proprietary. You need to use Odin because it has the Samsung code that we don't have.

Edit: make sure you use a pit and make sure you check repartition and auto reboot. Nothing else.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to MДЯCЦSДИT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AproSamurai
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddygonzo17 View Post
Too bad this wasn't up before I flashed the MIUI update.... It looks like MTD=FML for me. I now have no choice on if i want 4g or not because the only 2 ROMs with MTD are CM7 and MIUI which dont support 4g. Grrrr. I hope someone can make something to get back to EXT4 or RFS W/O odin or heimdall. Last time I used odin to go to a stock ROM it ended up hard bricking my phone and i had to pay $600 for a new one.

I hope other users read this post before making the ssame mistake I did. Thank you AproSamurai.
I apologize I couldn't have gotten it out sooner. Been a bit busy as of late, my apologies. Things are being worked on now regarding overlay and 911 by the CM team. And then CM will be official and we'll begin to see work on ICS and beyond, if that's of any consolation.:x
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Devices Owned: Sprint Samsung Moment, Epic 4G, Galaxy S3, HTC One m8
[My GitHub] [My Twitter]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AproSamurai For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

|| Acer ||
Old
Thanks Meter 530

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

You're gonna have to Odin, sorry. There's absolutely no way and there most likely will never be a way without it.

By the way, $600? I've bricked my phone a few times, and when I went to sprint I got a replacement for $35. Not sure what you did there.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using CM7!

thadialeckt
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Great post. This was very needed

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to thadialeckt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

roddygonzo17
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Thanks for a quick reply marcusant. If its not too much of a hassle would you mind making a video and possibly post links for the .tar and .pit to use unless the .pit is the same as for froyo. I just really need my phone and dont want to have to buy another one.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by || Acer || View Post
You're gonna have to Odin, sorry. There's absolutely no way and there most likely will never be a way without it.

By the way, $600? I've bricked my phone a few times, and when I went to sprint I got a replacement for $35. Not sure what you did there.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using CM7!
The representative from sprint told me that the only way i would have been able to brick it like that (would not turn on, no recovery mode, and no download mode and when plugged the charger in it wouldnt charge or be recognized by the computer) is if i rooted it which voided my warranty and wouldnt be covered by insurance.

onilink67
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
The representative from sprint told me that the only way i would have been able to brick it like that (would not turn on, no recovery mode, and no download mode and when plugged the charger in it wouldnt charge or be recognized by the computer) is if i rooted it which voided my warranty and wouldnt be covered by insurance.
I would have fought that by playing stupid and asking what he was talking about. Sprint also came out last year stating rooting does not void warranty but did require being noted on your account IIRC. I can give at least 1 scenario where that could have happened without rooting ... go drop your phone in the bathtub.

Memory modules and other ICs can easily go bad as well so sprint employee was playing a jumping to conclusion game and a manager would have been called over quickly.

roddygonzo17
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by onilink67 View Post
I would have fought that by playing stupid and asking what he was talking about. Sprint also came out last year stating rooting does not void warranty but did require being noted on your account IIRC. I can give at least 1 scenario where that could have happened without rooting ... go drop your phone in the bathtub.

Memory modules and other ICs can easily go bad as well so sprint employee was playing a jumping to conclusion game and a manager would have been called over quickly.
You know I wasn't really thinking of that at that point, i was just worried about getting my phone back but that would have been a great idea. That way the little stickers that turn red when they get wet would have changed colors since water damage is covered.

Tags
cyanogenmod7, epic4g, future, mtd, opensource