Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,656 Members 52,308 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Manual Nooter Sort of Works on 1.4.1

Tip us?

roustabout
Old
(Last edited by roustabout; 13th December 2011 at 06:44 AM.) Reason: Learned more
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 199
Default Manual Nooter Sort of Works on 1.4.1

I'm looking a bit more at rooting via manual nooter on OS 1.4.1.

As of now, the Android Market is not working

In my hands, the BN shop is also not working. Books cannot be downloaded. (The reader does work, though, so you can shop and then download to your PC, then push the files in manually if you like.)

Together, those two elements not working argue against rooting 1.4.1 for anything other than study and development, I think.

- 1.4.1 installs on a device which had already been rooted (this device is rooted but not overclocked.)

- boot from a manual nooter 4-5-18 disks works

- after applying MN 4.5.18 and the APK enabler, the device booted. Root was retained and SU works fine (I was able to use adb wireless)

- install via ADB works

Other things to be aware of:

- this is not a Gingerbread release for the NC.

- the home button behavior is changed a LOT. Home Catcher for the Nook Tablet will also work here, though.

- the device automagically snarfs Google contacts if it's registered to a gmail address, it seems. There is no warning on that. I think that behavior is a Big Effing Problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to roustabout For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MentalDragon
Old
Thanks Meter 10
About to try hopefully it works. I know I couldnt install update on 1.3 with CWM going back to complete stock and then update and then MN.
The MentalDragon

roustabout
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 199
Yes, if CWR is written to your boot, you cannot install BN updates.

It might be possible to use a flashable 1.3 installer to write only /boot, reboot, then update to 1.4.1. I know there is a flashable 1.3, but I do not know where it lives.

MentalDragon
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roustabout View Post
Yes, if CWR is written to your boot, you cannot install BN updates.

It might be possible to use a flashable 1.3 installer to write only /boot, reboot, then update to 1.4.1. I know there is a flashable 1.3, but I do not know where it lives.
Yeah I went back to 1.3 stock and then to 1.4.1 update.
The MentalDragon

mejack03
Old
(Last edited by mejack03; 12th December 2011 at 10:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 20
It would be nice if some one conforms about Market
Don't Forget to click on THANKS button, If i helped you

roustabout
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 199
"It would be if some one conforms about Market"

Yeah, wouldn't it?

I'm figuring from the lack of screaming it's probably working.

MentalDragon
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Market is up. Some apps still missing. Having a bit of problem with Zeam launcher. Nook launcher is taking control.

Straight from my ICS i897 Sonic Screwdriver!!!!!
The MentalDragon
The Following User Says Thank You to MentalDragon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nookerrooter
Old
Thanks Meter 1
So from a rooted 1.3.1 you:

Use CWM to install a vanilla 1.3 ROM, then update to 1.4.1 via B&N download, then root using only 4.5.18? I seem to remember to root 1.3.1 you needed to root with 4.5.16 and then 4.5.18.

roustabout
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 199
I have been able to use 4-5-18 without any problems on both 1.2 and 1.3.

You may not even need to install the vanilla ROM - you may well be able to install to a rooted device, so long as you have not meddled with /boot, either by installing a CWR boot internally or by overclocking.

My fast experiment this morning involved updating a rooted 1.3, then rooting that resulting 1.4.1.

tsukisan
Old
(Last edited by tsukisan; 13th December 2011 at 02:18 AM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Anyone check to see if it will still boot from an SD card, just want to confirm before update, but because it is still rootable I can always downgrade.

Edit: I am in the process of updating as I type this, I will post the results in case anyone else needs them.