[ROM] Ginger SF r4 - ZTE Android 2.35 mod

Search This thread

wbaw

This is a mod of 4G4G_GB_GENERIC_P729V1.0.0B18.zip A generic ZTE Blade Android 2.3.5 build.

Code:
ro.build.display.id=ZTE-BLADEV1.0.0B02
ro.build.version.sdk=10
ro.build.version.release=2.3.5
ro.build.date=Tue Oct 18 00:22:57 HKT 2011
ro.product.model=ZTE-BLADE
ro.product.name=P729_GENERIC
ro.product.device=blade
ro.build.baseband_version=P729B01
ro.build.software_version=ZTE-BLADEV1.0.0B02
ro.build.sw_internal_version=4G4G_GB_GENERIC_P729V1.0.0B18

Build info from the original build.prop. Stock rom here (not recommended for normal users).

I removed some stock apps & Google apps. Updated the market. Redoxed & resigned. Rooted with latest chainsdd superuser. modified dta2sd. CM7 libm.so (antutu floating point fix). CM7 bash. CM7 openvpn. CM7 keyboard. CM7 gps shim. CM7 apns. Added CM7 Magic Smoke live wallpaper. CM7 Contacts, messaging & dialler. CM7 DeskClock. BusyBox 1.19 - official armv6 binary from busybox.net here. Gen1 & Gen2 compatible. Cache on tmpfs. Few small tweaks.

Custom 2.6.35 kernel with overclocking, lots of cpu governors & i/o schedulers, led notification fix, cifs, tun.ko (module), ext4, undervolting, tweaks & fixes, etc. Thanks to Burstlam & Tom G for lots of code for that. Source code here - https://github.com/John-Kenney/zte-turies-35

Most things that you'd expect seem to work. Please report any bugs. Some bugs may be ZTE's fault & hard to fix due to no source code. This is a basic stripped down modded stock rom, with few custom features, it will stay that way. Don't ask me for extra customisations, make them yourself & release them as addons in your own thread, or just use CM7.

Usual disclaimer applies, no guarantees, I'll just laugh if it breaks your phone, etc.

Download: gsf-blade-r4.zip mirror
Size: 66.01 MB
MD5: ed0d40ca65ac767497f944571fb5b5f4

Last edited:

wbaw

Addons

Google Apps: This adds Car Home, Gmail, YouTube, Talk, Maps, Voice Search. Android Market is included in the rom, but Talk & Car Home can't be downloaded from the market.
Download: gsf-gapps2.zip mirror
Size: 11.4 MB
MD5: daff051b18fcf022b74502fe2a080876

Fonts & Sounds: This adds fonts, ringtones & notification sounds from Ice Cream Sandwich.
Download: gsf-fonts-sounds.zip mirror
Size: 12.16 MB
MD5: 3215e0b517d0c92537a41948beae8bba

Changelog:

r4:
Kernel updates - forked burstlam's latest kernel & added some patches myself, including patches to undervolt the wifi adaptor & cpu (saves battery) and patches to improve memory use, more details here: https://github.com/John-Kenney/zte-turies-35/commits/master full kernel source code here - https://github.com/John-Kenney/zte-turies-35
(re)ODEXed - Saves space & slightly faster
ICS Keyboard
New CM 7.2 versions of some small apps (Gallery, Calculator, Email, etc)
CM7 Contacts, dialler & messaging, plus FelixL's ZTE EMode Helper installed by default
CM7 DeskClock replaces ZTE Alarm Clock.
CRT style screen off animation.

r3: kernel updates - list. maps updated. removed a few extra google apps. updated framework & system ui.

Download: gsf-blade-r3.zip

CM7 contacts adon for r1, r2 & r3: http://hotfile.com/dl/137543234/84f201a/gsf-contacts2.zip.html

r2: Updated Market. Removed extra apps, fonts & ringtones, added them as separate addons.
Download: gsf-blade-r2.zip

r1: First Release
Download: gsf-blade-r1.zip

Linux kernel source code for r1,r2 & r3 versions is here: https://github.com/John-Kenney/kernel-35

Last edited:

AsusFreak

Jan 3, 2008
Hamburg
Cool - the story called "GSF" still goes on - I'm impressed.

After several weeks of being completely satisfied with Elitemovil's ROM, I wanted to try yours. And I have to say: well done. Everything seems to work as it should.

Calls, Sensors, WLAN, USB are working. No bugs so far.
The GPS fix lasts some time but that seems to vary in general - just a first impression.

Stable and smooth from what I see.

Thanks for sharing this new version of GSF.

Edit: Hmm, no overclocking? Didn't you say kernel with oc? And Antutu's Benchmark gave 200 points less than standard Moldovan or Elitemovil. Do I need to change some configs?

Last edited:

wbaw

There is overclocking support in the kernel, you just need to use an app like nofrills cpu or setcpu (not included) to enable it, or edit a config file in /system/etc/init.d

Antutu & other android benchmarks are poor, not really worth paying any attention to. It might even be a feature that improves the overall performance of the phone affecting the benchmark, like autogroup scheduling. It could just be that you're comparing results at stock speed in this rom vs overclocking in other roms. I can't see much difference, I just got 1600 at stock speed in antutu & 1708 at 672mhz, which is about what I'd expect. It can vary randomly between different runs too.

Maybe it is one of the ZTE libs, I only replaced one for performance reasons in this (libm.so, compiled from cm7 source), I replaced more in the old gsf. libm.so from the zte rom appears to be compiled to use software floating point emulation, despite the cpu having hardware floating point (vfp)... that reduces the antutu floating point score drastically, although it doesn't have much effect on performance in reality... probably some other zte built libs were compiled with sub-optimal compiler optimisation flags too. I think most apps & games where performance is important will probably have their own optimised libraries, so it wont make any difference.

I don't want to replace too many files in this rom for stability reasons. I don't have the source code for this rom, it's closed source, we don't know what modifications zte has made. If I start using too many library files compiled from CM7 source then it could cause problems due to Cyanogen & ZTE both modifying the code in different ways. There could be some unexpected & hard to track down bugs caused by it.

Last edited:

xelik

May 12, 2011
Aveiro
Hi mate, grate rom :)

I'm having problems with the proximity sensor, the screen got black after a call and none of the buttons work, I simply have to remove the battery.

Is there any chance that I can regulate the sensor?

Many tanks,
Xelik

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk

wbaw

Hi mate, grate rom :)

I'm having problems with the proximity sensor, the screen got black after a call and none of the buttons work, I simply have to remove the battery.

Is there any chance that I can regulate the sensor?

Many tanks,
Xelik

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk

Calibrate your proximity sensor using the dialler code *983*0# or zte emode helper app.

Reactions: xelik

wbaw

Ty mate :)

One more thing, this rom eats battery like a *****, is there any way to revert that? Your fist ginger st was absolutely awesome in the battery life time!

Any new rom will seem to use more battery at first (or less, then suddenly drop), it takes a while to build up accurate battery stats. It seems similar to the old gsf for battery life to me. It's really hard to compare battery life between different roms & test it properly, you certainly haven't had time to do it yet.

There will be a few small improvements that should increase battery life in the next version, like under-volting the wifi adaptor & a few optimisations to make things a bit more efficient.

Reactions: xelik

wbaw

Hi, wbaw.

I was a keen user of Ginger Stir Fry for a very long time.

After this post,
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18273709&postcount=138
...I was wondering if you could give us your opinion of the official 2.3.5 compared to the latest CM7 nightly.

Please and Thank you.

Overall CM7 is better & always will be. However there are still a few bugs in CM7 which are different to the bugs in ZTE 2.3.5. The camera works better in this (hopefully works on the Libra now too, but I can't test) & the battery might last a bit longer. Some people prefer the ZTE dialler & apps too.

So I just made it to broaden the choice of roms available, some people prefer the bugs in this version compared to the bugs in CM7.

Also, if I get time, I want to get Dolby Mobile working in this, taken from the skate. It might be a bit easier to get it working in a ZTE rom than CM7. That's the real reason for the rom, but I might not get time, it might never happen.

The goal is to make it as small, fast, low power & stripped down as possible to provide a base for developers to add things to & test. Also to test out & demonstrate kernel patches (mainly from other people) & other small performance optimisations that might not get accepted in to cyanogenmod, I'm trying to keep it stable & close to stock at the same time though. It's good to have a variety of roms available & it might help or push the cyanogenmod developers to fix some of the bugs which aren't present in ZTE roms. It's easier to compare with a stripped down rooted 'gen2' converted rom rather than a full gen3 stock rom, especially as the main cm7 dev for the blade has a gen1 tpt updated to gen2 phone & doesn't use windows, so can't update to gen3.

It might also be suitable as a daily rom for somebody who just wants basic stable, fast rooted Gingerbread with decent battery life & camera, if they don't want all the CM7 customisations.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjpa123 and BRSG

wbaw

In the R3 ROM works well. Thank you very much:)

Thanks for letting me know it works. I can't test it, my camera always worked.

There are different camera sensors from different manufacturers in different versions of the Blade & Libra.

Full source code for the kernel driver for the new camera in the Libra hasn't been released by ZTE (illegal, gpl violation!). Burstlam & Tom G had to piece together the code themselves. I was just using Tom G's patch before, which works for CM7, but it needed another extra patch from Burstlam to get it working for ZTE roms with a custom kernel.

Reactions: foxx93

justme1988

Jan 13, 2011
First of all good to see you back and developing roms wbaw!
i decided to to give this rom a try becouse i like roms that are more like the stock one, and this far i love it!

I made a quick percentage batteryicon and black statusbar/notification for who wants to give it a try: http://www.multiupload.com/ATUFNMSZL1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a mod of 4G4G_GB_GENERIC_P729V1.0.0B18.zip A generic ZTE Blade Android 2.3.5 build.

Code:
    ro.build.display.id=ZTE-BLADEV1.0.0B02
    ro.build.version.sdk=10
    ro.build.version.release=2.3.5
    ro.build.date=Tue Oct 18 00:22:57 HKT 2011
    ro.product.model=ZTE-BLADE
    ro.product.name=P729_GENERIC
    ro.product.device=blade
    ro.build.baseband_version=P729B01
    ro.build.software_version=ZTE-BLADEV1.0.0B02
    ro.build.sw_internal_version=4G4G_GB_GENERIC_P729V1.0.0B18

Build info from the original build.prop. Stock rom here (not recommended for normal users).

I removed some stock apps & Google apps. Updated the market. Redoxed & resigned. Rooted with latest chainsdd superuser. modified dta2sd. CM7 libm.so (antutu floating point fix). CM7 bash. CM7 openvpn. CM7 keyboard. CM7 gps shim. CM7 apns. Added CM7 Magic Smoke live wallpaper. CM7 Contacts, messaging & dialler. CM7 DeskClock. BusyBox 1.19 - official armv6 binary from busybox.net here. Gen1 & Gen2 compatible. Cache on tmpfs. Few small tweaks.

Custom 2.6.35 kernel with overclocking, lots of cpu governors & i/o schedulers, led notification fix, cifs, tun.ko (module), ext4, undervolting, tweaks & fixes, etc. Thanks to Burstlam & Tom G for lots of code for that. Source code here - https://github.com/John-Kenney/zte-turies-35

Most things that you'd expect seem to work. Please report any bugs. Some bugs may be ZTE's fault & hard to fix due to no source code. This is a basic stripped down modded stock rom, with few custom features, it will stay that way. Don't ask me for extra customisations, make them yourself & release them as addons in your own thread, or just use CM7.

Usual disclaimer applies, no guarantees, I'll just laugh if it breaks your phone, etc.

Addons

Google Apps: This adds Car Home, Gmail, YouTube, Talk, Maps, Voice Search. Android Market is included in the rom, but Talk & Car Home can't be downloaded from the market.
    Download: gsf-gapps2.zip mirror
    Size: 11.4 MB
    MD5: daff051b18fcf022b74502fe2a080876

Fonts & Sounds: This adds fonts, ringtones & notification sounds from Ice Cream Sandwich.
    Download: gsf-fonts-sounds.zip mirror
    Size: 12.16 MB
    MD5: 3215e0b517d0c92537a41948beae8bba

Changelog:

r4:
    Kernel updates - forked burstlam's latest kernel & added some patches myself, including patches to undervolt the wifi adaptor & cpu (saves battery) and patches to improve memory use, more details here: https://github.com/John-Kenney/zte-turies-35/commits/master full kernel source code here - https://github.com/John-Kenney/zte-turies-35
    (re)ODEXed - Saves space & slightly faster
    ICS Keyboard
    New CM 7.2 versions of some small apps (Gallery, Calculator, Email, etc)
    CM7 Contacts, dialler & messaging, plus FelixL's ZTE EMode Helper installed by default
    CM7 DeskClock replaces ZTE Alarm Clock.
    CRT style screen off animation.

r3: kernel updates - list. maps updated. removed a few extra google apps. updated framework & system ui.

Download: gsf-blade-r3.zip

CM7 contacts adon for r1, r2 & r3: http://hotfile.com/dl/137543234/84f201a/gsf-contacts2.zip.html

r2: Updated Market. Removed extra apps, fonts & ringtones, added them as separate addons.
    Download: gsf-blade-r2.zip

r1: First Release
    Download: gsf-blade-r1.zip

Linux kernel source code for r1,r2 & r3 versions is here: https://github.com/John-Kenney/kernel-35
    I'll be done when I feel like it, stop asking. My whole upper body is in pain right now, think I've got a slipped disc :(

All kernel bugs should be fixed & the source is on my github, r5 wont be much more than r4, just a new kernel, gingerbread keyboard, new adreno libs & a few small speed tweaks. Make your own if you're that bothered.
    Hey wbaw! I tried compiling your kernel..But in order to avoid the ramdisk and intramfs part of the whole thing i tried anykernel but i dont understand how that works? :( i put zimage in the kernel folder and zipped it up but then wheres the boot.img?? Thank you for your help..i just followed a guide from xda..

Anykernel creates the boot.img, it extracts the ramdisk from the kernel on your phone & combines that with the zImage to create a boot.img using clockworkmod. It's a good way to update the kernel, koush is great. So, you just need the zImage if you use AnyKernel.

I was going to do a mod of AnyKernel & Kallt Kaffe's old mod of it that detected which zImage to use for gen1/2 & vmsplit 2g/3g, a universal kernel package for the Blade, but I'm too lazy.

Compiling is educational anyway... the scrolling text makes me feel like some great hacker even if I only typed one command ;)

Anyway, I'm going to do another GSF based on the new Moldovan rom with my new kernel & stuff, eventually, maybe in a week. Then I might do a CM7 kang with my new kernel & new proprietary files from this new Moldovan rom. I did share a cm7 kang, but it's old now & it was just a basic quick kang, you're probably better using somebody else's more recent kang, I think Tom G got most of my kernel patches that made much difference, they should be in all the kernels now.

Just don't be demanding stuff, it's not like I'm paid for it. If it isn't ready in a week then so what? I do it for fun, for my own phone, I share what I do, if that makes people start demanding stuff then it stops being fun, I lose my reason for doing it & I stop.
    Picture this:

You're 5 years old and your mom has promised to bake you some cookies. The entire time she is hard at work, making the dough, cutting out some shapes, preheating the oven, you are yanking at her arm shouting "I WANT MY COOKIES!!! NOW NOW NOW!!! WHAT'S TAKING SO LONG?!!!"

That little boy is you and wbaw is your mother baking cookies for you.

So try to be a bit understanding and give him some credit for his work. He has done a lot for the Blade so he deserves our respect.
    He doesn't have to be doing this you know, so he can take all the time he wants :)