[APP] Challenger Comics Viewer

Search This thread

The Challenger

Dec 13, 2011
I published a new version (v1.1.6).
This version contains :

• Added support of mips devices
  • Added library autorefresh (available in Option => library, default is "Only local libraries")
  • Improved PDF files management
  • Replaced "Goto page ..." option by "Goto ..." option. To have quick access to comics issues and collections
  • Display comics names and collection names in library view (Grid)
  • Speed up refresh of libraries
  • Added preload next issue when last pages of comics are displayed
  • Fix minor bugs

Don't hesitate to give a feedback.

Thanks !

The Challenger

Dec 13, 2011
I published a new version (v1.1.7).
This version contains :

• Added a grayed layer on already read elements (can be deactivated using option)
  • Improved PDF files management
  • Added option to autoload previous comics issue when first page is displayed (deactivated by default but can be activated using option => display menu)
  • Improved memory management
  • Fix minor bugs

Thanks !

Reactions: M-Lin

M-Lin

Jul 12, 2012
Thanks Challenger this app is really shaping up. I've got it running beautifully on my s3!

I just had a couple of suggestions... I don't use scroll step, I just scroll - any chance we could get an option to turn it off? Also double tap to zoom would be great, then I could read lying down much easier.

Keep up the great work!

Sent from my GT-I9300

The Challenger

Dec 13, 2011
Thanks Challenger this app is really shaping up. I've got it running beautifully on my s3!

I just had a couple of suggestions... I don't use scroll step, I just scroll - any chance we could get an option to turn it off? Also double tap to zoom would be great, then I could read lying down much easier.

Keep up the great work!

Sent from my GT-I9300

Hi M-Lin,

For now, it's not possible to deactivate scroll step. I will add it for next release (quick and easy to do).
About zoom, you can zoom using 2 fingers but not with only one. I plan to add action management in a futur release (no date for the moment) to allow user to customize actions.

Thanks for your feedback and don't hesitate to send me other ideas.

ErrieR

Oct 19, 2010
Great app and some suggestions

Thanks for this great comics viewer, Challenger! I think it deserves more attention/momentum in the Play store!

Things I like:
* You give it away for free, without ads. You must be a kind person :good:
* Support for samba/ftp/webdav is really is big plus over other viewers. I have 700+ GB of comics, and not having to copy each and every comic to my device is just great.
* Auto scroll.

Suggestions:
* Change auto scroll activation/deactivation behaviour a bit. Long press: Activate auto scroll, Release press: Stop auto scroll. Now you have to tap twice to stop auto scroll. Yes I know it's called auto scroll and not semi auto scroll :p
* Zoom out. I read all my comics in landscape modus, and my comics are a little bit too big now. So being able to zoom out would be nice.

The Challenger

Dec 13, 2011
Thanks for this great comics viewer, Challenger! I think it deserves more attention/momentum in the Play store!

Things I like:
* You give it away for free, without ads. You must be a kind person :good:
* Support for samba/ftp/webdav is really is big plus over other viewers. I have 700+ GB of comics, and not having to copy each and every comic to my device is just great.
* Auto scroll.

Suggestions:
* Change auto scroll activation/deactivation behaviour a bit. Long press: Activate auto scroll, Release press: Stop auto scroll. Now you have to tap twice to stop auto scroll. Yes I know it's called auto scroll and not semi auto scroll :p
* Zoom out. I read all my comics in landscape modus, and my comics are a little bit too big now. So being able to zoom out would be nice.

Hi ErrieR,

Thanks for your comment.
About semi auto scroll, I plan to add key mapping management (to allow customization of mapping key/action). But I don't have any release dates for now.
About zoom, display can be done only by "fit the width" or "fit the height". In your case, you can set "Fitting mode" to Height and zoom in. I think it will do the job.

If you have other ideas, don't hesitate :)

The Challenger

Dec 13, 2011
I published a new version (v1.1.8).
This version contains :

• Added new Image Display Mode : Simple Image View. In this mode, pages are displayed one by one (centered).
    You can switch to this display mode using options (Options => Display => Image Display Mode).
    The default display mode does not change (Multiple Image View, with scrolling behavior)
    You can go to Previous/Next pages by touching Left/Right side of the screen.
  • Added option item to deactivate step scroll (Options => Animation => Scroll Step)
  • Added option items to increase cache size (added 500MB and 1GB)
  • Fix minor bugs

Thanks !

Reactions: M-Lin

Freshman206

Apr 12, 2012
I added a video.

Is there any feedback ?

Dear Challenger !

Congratulations for creating such a wonderful app !

I personally am using "Perfect Viewer" to read my stuff, and it is really an awful app.

But ! Something is missing - something you do offer : a web space client supporting FTP/WebDAV etc.....
This is really a killer feature !!! It´s the reason why I use your reader now..... !!

I really love the fact you implemented color correction in such an early state of development ....
This is also a real killer feature.... very useful for self-scanned books.

Another thing which is missing, yet: text file support (like Epub, Doc, txt)....
You will find readers accepting either pdf+cbr/zip or PDF+Epub but not a single one supporting all three of them.
This is strange since this is all about Ebooks !

Above all, there is not a single reader on IOS compareable to "Perfect Viewer" nor to your one !
That means, if you are ambitious enough, you can take the Ebook-Reader crown, yet...

Whatever ! I am willing and able to help you by testing here and there.

Coming to your tool now:

1) WebDAV access is working nicely here. (FTP leads to a crash) Download and open cbr/zip files is working nicely here, also..
2) There are massive problems showing pdf files, yet. Some lead to a crash and falling back to desktop after reading a few pages, others are colored light blue on any zoom level or the space surrounding the text is light blue.
3) Scanning folders for adding the included files to the library is not working nicely at all. It takes an extremely long time or leads to a freeze / crash.

My suggestions:

1) First of all, please add some feedback for download and scan process. This will be very usefuly to examine any problems.
For example: When a web file is selected, a progress bar appears, showing size already downloaded / size in total, if the download is completed "download completed" and "opening file". About library scan: As soon as a folder is selected, 3 progress bars appear. First one: "Scanning folder x of y" Second one: "Scanning file x of y" Third one: "size already downloaded / size in total". Beneath the bars download speed in MB/s can be seen.
2) For comfortable reading please think about adding three basic features: First a search bar (scroll through pages)(your "goto" bar is fine but a bit demanding and overloaded... more simple would be faster and feel better) and second a side-wise scroll fix to prevent scrolling to the right or left. And for single page view a zoom level fix.
3) Scanning online folders for the library needs such a lot of time just to create the thumbnails. Scanning just the filenames could be done extremely fast. This is why I suggest you to make a "Filename-Scan" selectable in option menu. Additionally you could add a thumbnail feature: A user could create the thumbnails for himself at home and add them to the folders containing the book files. They could have the same name, for examle "Donald.Duck.cbr" and "Donald.Duck.jpg" - and if they exist they could be added as thumbs directly very fast and easy.

Something minor:
- The aspect ratio of the library thumbnails is wrong here ...

I think those are the most important things. Later I would suggest to add an intelligent margin.crop feature, which is very difficult to create, but would help a lot for many self-scanned comics/books. (Perfect Viewer has such a feature, though it´s not working perfectly, yet.) And of course: Text-File support.

Thank you so much for sharing your work with all of us !
I will donate something to you sooner or later !!!

Cheers !!

Last edited:

M-Lin

Jul 12, 2012
Latest update is brilliant! I thought it was very promising before, I loved the readability and the look but it was slightly jittery. That all seems ironed out now and it's a very accomplished comic reader - thanks for all the effort and for listening to your users!

Sent from my GT-I9300

The Challenger

Dec 13, 2011
Dear Challenger !

Congratulations for creating such a wonderful app !

[...]

Cheers !!

Hi Freshman206,

Thanks for your comment.

About bugs:
  • You said you can't use FTP access (crash). Can you give me more informations (especially the server version) ?
  • About PDF issues (very strange issues). Can you send me sample files ?
  • About folder scan issue (slow and crash). Did you speak about online folder scan ? If you speak about local folder scan, can you send me your file hierarchy (in text format, no need to send me files)
  • About thumbnail ratio (wrong ratio), can you send me screenshots ? Only few thumbnail ratio are wrong or all ? Thumbnails ratio are wrong only in library grid view or in all library view ? EDIT 11/12/2012 : I reproduced it (it appears on library grid view only)
About improvements:
  • About download, your ideas of progress bar is very good. I will try to add it for next release.
  • About searchbar, It seems more difficult to do. I will take a look but I'm not sure to do it for the next release ...
  • About online folder scan, you are right, it could take a long time to retrieve all informations (especially cover). I will add an option to skip cover, and another one to use additional file (if any with same name). It will speed up scan process (like you explained).
  • About auto margin crop, It's a very interesting feature but It's quite difficult to do, I will see it later ...

For iOS, I don't have any apple devices, so I don't plan to release anything on app store.

Once again, thank you very much for your comment.

Last edited:

The Challenger

Dec 13, 2011
I published a new version (v1.1.9).
This version contains :

• Added new fitting type option : "Fit to screen" (in Options => Display => Fitting type)
  • Added option to set a color theme to application (in Options => System => Color theme)
  • Fixed cover in Grid library view (wrong size ratio)
  • Added option to activate/deactivate screen standby mode (in Options => System =>Allow screen standby mode)
  • Added an option to specify cover generation mode (skip cover generation can speed up library import process). User can add a .jpg file (with same name as comic file) in same folder as comics archive to be used as cover. (in Options => Library => Cover generation mode). Anyway, cover will be generate when comics will be open.
  • Minor bug fixes

Thanks !

Freshman206

Apr 12, 2012
This version contains :

• Added new fitting type option : "Fit to screen" (in Options => Display => Fitting type)
  • Added option to set a color theme to application (in Options => System => Color theme)
  • Added option to activate/deactivate screen standby mode (in Options => System =>Allow screen standby mode)
  • Added an option to specify cover generation mode (skip cover generation can speed up library import process). User can add a .jpg file (with same name as comic file) in same folder as comics archive to be used as cover. (in Options => Library => Cover generation mode). Anyway, cover will be generate when comics will be open.
  • Minor bug fixes

Thanks !

Dear Challenger !

Thanks for your kind and detailed reaction.
I am very excited about your new version and will test it as soon as possible.
You will also get more information as demanded. I did not answer because did not read your post yet.
Sorry !

Best wishes,
Freshman

rubensa

Feb 3, 2011
Espiniella
This version contains :

• Minor bug fixes

Thanks !

Hello I've just installed your app. Seems to work great but I have a problem using webdav on box.com. I can't browse folders. The app shows a folder named dav (that I'ts not really there) with no contnet and if I select other folder, the content is allways root folder's content (including dav folder). I've tried www(dot)box(dot)com/dav and www(dot)box(dot)com as location. Same problem. Note: I allways check SSL box.

I'd like to ask for some inprovements too:
* Option to specify page change selection area
* Button to stop/interrupt library data analizing
* Option to change page (next-prev) with gesture
* Option to clear cache data

The Challenger

Dec 13, 2011
Hello I've just installed your app. Seems to work great but I have a problem using webdav on box.com. I can't browse folders. The app shows a folder named dav (that I'ts not really there) with no contnet and if I select other folder, the content is allways root folder's content (including dav folder). I've tried www(dot)box(dot)com/dav and www(dot)box(dot)com as location. Same problem. Note: I allways check SSL box.

I'd like to ask for some inprovements too:
* Option to specify page change selection area
* Button to stop/interrupt library data analizing
* Option to change page (next-prev) with gesture
* Option to clear cache data

Hi Rubensa,

I reproduced the issue on box.com. I will fix it for the next release (probably next week).

About your ideas:
  • Option to specify page change selection area : Can you give me more details about this ? I don't understand your point.
  • Button to stop/interrupt library data analizing : You can already cancel library data analyzing using back button (while progress bar is displayed)
  • Option to change page (next-prev) with gesture : Swipe to go next/previous page will be available in next release (can be activate/deactivate using option).
  • Option to clear cache data : Good idea, I will add this item for the next release.

If you are OK, I can send you a beta version before releasing the next version ? To validate the box.net fix.

Thanks for your ideas, and don't hesitate to give me other ideas.

Regards,

Reactions: rubensa

rubensa

Feb 3, 2011
Espiniella
Hi Rubensa,

I reproduced the issue on box.com. I will fix it for the next release (probably next week).

About your ideas:
  • Option to specify page change selection area : Can you give me more details about this ? I don't understand your point.
  • Button to stop/interrupt library data analizing : You can already cancel library data analyzing using back button (while progress bar is displayed)
  • Option to change page (next-prev) with gesture : Swipe to go next/previous page will be available in next release (can be activate/deactivate using option).
  • Option to clear cache data : Good idea, I will add this item for the next release.

If you are OK, I can send you a beta version before releasing the next version ? To validate the box.net fix.

Thanks for your ideas, and don't hesitate to give me other ideas.

Regards,

First of all, thank your for such a quick answer.

Now to the point!

Sorry, my fault :p. In horizontal orientation, you can click on the right side of the screen to go to next page and you can click on the left side of the screen to go to previous page, but I thought that only in the middle height (not upper o lower corners). But was a matter of touch "sensibility" detection problem when tried in that parts of the screen (only "very" fast touch works for me, could it be adjusted so a bit longer touch is also detected as a single touch -may be a "touch speed" option in configuration-?).

I noticed that later... so It's only a matter of "usability" if a button is shown in the screen when analizing ;)

Great!! :good:
    :victory:

I'll be glad testing it :highfive:

The Challenger

Dec 13, 2011
I published a new version (v1.1.10).
This version contains :

• Added Option to manage "Swipe to go Next/Previous page" (available in Options => Animation => Swipe to switch page)
  • It's possible to tag library element as read/not read by long pressing on library items
  • Added a thin progress bar at the bottom of the screen to display comics loading progress (bar size can be updated using Options => Display => Progress bar size)
  • Added download progress bar when downloading comics from network
  • Added option to clear cache (in Options => Cache => Clear cache)
  • Fixed some webdav issue (like on box.com)
  • Minor bug fixes

Thanks !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I published a comics viewer application on Android Market :
    The application name is "Challenger Comics Viewer" : https://market.android.com/details?id=org.kill.geek.bdviewer

Supported format are :
    • JPG
    • PNG
    • GIF
    • BMP
    • WebP (Android 4.0+)
    • PDF
    • ePUB
    • CBZ/ZIP
    • CBR/RAR
    • CB7/7Z
    • CBT/TAR
    • DjVu

Main features are :
    • Automatic page loading
    • Zoom using multi-touch
    • Vertical/Horizontal scrolling
    • 2 display modes (Simple View which displays pages one by one and Multiple Image View which displays all pages one after the other)
    • Scale filters: Bilinear, Bicubic, Lanczos4
    • Library with covers displayed to quickly open comics (multiple kind of views available)
    • Borders cropping
    • Reading from left to right or from right to left
    • Actions can be customized
    • Switch automatically to next issue when last page of comics is displayed
    • Single page and "2 page" display mode
    • Included filter to improve displayed images quality
    • Manual scrolling by moving finger on screen
    • Autoscrolling by long pressing screen
    • Fit to Width/Height display
    • Multiple Image preview type
    • Option to direct access to page
    • Network acces (samba, webdav, ftp and sftp)
    • History management
    • Support multi-language (for now, english and french)
    • Border can be display over Bitmaps to easily identify pages
    • Contrast/Brightness/Gamma management
    • Screen brightness management
    • Application can be moved to SD Card
    • Cached data can be stored on internal memory or SD Card

Files could be on device or on network.
    Supported network protocols are :
    • Google Drive
    • SkyDrive/OneDrive
    • Mega
    • Ubooquity (http://vaemendis.net/ubooquity)
    • DLNA/Upnp
    • OPDS (beta)
    • Windows/SAMBA/CIFS
    • DropBox
    • Webdav (like box.com, 4shared.com, alwaysdata.com, ...)
    • FTP
    • SFTP

For people who have no access to Android market, here is a link to the apk file (Version 2.1.28) : Apk file (a mirror is also available here)

I need some user feedbacks.
    Is there any kind testers which wants to try it ?

Thanks in advance.

--
    The Challenger
    http://challengerviewer.wordpress.com
    I made a new test version. It's available here.
    It contains following changes:
    • Manage CBT files
    • Manage CB7 files
    • Fixed minor bugs

Don't hesitate to give it a try and give me feedbacks. Especially about CB7 file management, I think loading time is too long ...

Thanks for your help.
    I published a new version (v2.1.3).
    This version contains :

• Open DropBox
    • You can create shortcuts to comics (on Android Home) using long press on Comics in Library view
    • Bug fixes

To help me translate the application, you can use crowdin
    Thanks for your help.
    I published a new version (v2.0.8).
    This version contains :

• Support turkish (Thanks to Çagdas)
    • Fix some crash on some devices (Thanks to Halfey)
    • Fix page sort (on some comics, cover is displayed at the end)
    • Minor Bug fixes

I need help to translate the application in other languages. If you are OK, don't hesitate to send me a message.

Thanks !
    I published a new version (v2.1.15).
    This version contains :

• Manage CBT files
    • Manage CB7 files
    • Fixed minor bugs

To help me translate the application, you can use crowdin
    Thanks for your help.