Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,305 Members 42,260 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CM7 for Kindle Fire (aka standing on the shoulders Giants)

Tip us?

Houndog101
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmaxx23 View Post
No need to apologize, menu> setttings >wireless and networks >wifi settings >menu >advanced >then change the wifi sleep policy to "never".
Darn, I never knew that setting was even there,, , Thanks a mil..
Raise/Breed/show/tracking BloodHounds

" Selfishness, Self centeredness some say, is the root of all of mans problems"

kernelsandirs
Old
Thanks Meter 7
oops my post deleted as it related to CM9

furtom
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettg View Post
anyone experiencing finicky wifi? my cm7 seems to disconnect at random times despite strong signals. happens on different networks .

any help is greatly appreciated
I had herd of this over the last few months, but I never experienced it until recently and just once so far.

In my case, I rarely reboot the tablet and I think that catches up after a while. I can't put my finger on any reason, as the kernel manages memory well, but performance seems to degrade if the rom isn't rebooted about one a week. YMMV

Anyway, I saw this problem and rebooted and that fixed it. Give it a try.
Tom

Nexus 7 2013, with bunches of ROMS (thanks to MultiROM)
CM11 on the Kindle Fire (can't believe the damn thing is still going...)

bennettg
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Thanks.

one other problem i am having.....i cannot charge the kindle fire with the power off. if i shut down and then plug in the charger, the kindle fire boots and starts up. no errors, but just want to be able to charge the battery without the device on.

is anyone else experiencing this issue? if so, do you know how to fix? maybe it is a kernel issue? i think i have intersect raven kernel.

thanks in advance.

jmcoffey
Old
Thanks Meter 61

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks.

one other problem i am having.....i cannot charge the kindle fire with the power off. if i shut down and then plug in the charger, the kindle fire boots and starts up. no errors, but just want to be able to charge the battery without the device on.

is anyone else experiencing this issue? if so, do you know how to fix? maybe it is a kernel issue? i think i have intersect raven kernel.

thanks in advance.
You have to plug it in before you power down. Its not an issue, the fire just powers up when it receives power.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using XDA

Sblood86
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 362

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks.

thanks in advance.
Yeah it's ramdisk related, the ramdisks for CM7 and CM9 don't support offline charging (better to have it power on when you plug it in than ignore it entirely ). Having said that I have been looking into this but ramdisks are still a little over my head (won't stop me from breaking something anyway, just take awhile).

bennettg
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sblood86 View Post
Yeah it's ramdisk related, the ramdisks for CM7 and CM9 don't support offline charging (better to have it power on when you plug it in than ignore it entirely ). Having said that I have been looking into this but ramdisks are still a little over my head (won't stop me from breaking something anyway, just take awhile).
Thank you for your quick response. At least I know my fire isnt busted or something.

Sblood86
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 362

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcoffey View Post
You have to plug it in before you power down. Its not an issue, the fire just powers up when it receives power.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using XDA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sblood86 View Post
Quote:
Thank you for your quick response. At least I know my fire isnt busted or something.
jmcoffey is probably right actually (in regards to the cm7 ramdisk) I haven't tried shutting it down after connecting the power in cm7 but I know the cm9 ramdisk does not support offline charging (I had my kindle get stuck in an offline state, factory cable luckily booted it without the battery having a charge)

chairshot215
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Stock does the same thing. I have read on an Amazon customer support thread that it's better for the battery to charge why the system is active as there are things in place to protect the overall life of the battery and that is why it boots up when charging. Honestly not sure how all that works or if it applies to anything but stock.

cloud71
Old
Thanks Meter 15
not sure why your kindles arnt charging when off.
My kindle fire charges when its off I just dont have the charge light on. But I always plug it in wait till it starts charging then shut it off.

I know this cause ive pluged it in almost dead then got up the next morning and it had a full charge.

it did this with stock and with the cm7 version that I have.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

But I would like to know if the cm7 version I have is the best one for the kindle fire.

if there a better one can someone tell me which one it is. ive been to cyanogen site but cant make sense out of the builds.

the version I have is: Mod Version: CyanogenMod 7.2.0-RC0-blaze-KANG

The greatest issue that im having is the wifi dropping when it goes to sleep, and having a hard time trying to get it reconnected, even with the sleep policy set to never. but other than that im happy with the mod

cant wait for cm9 to be stable for the kindle, thats my next mod.
The Cloudman
---------------------

Samsung Galaxy TabPro 8.4
Rooted / Modded

Apple IPAD 2
JailBroke / Modded

Tags
cm7, fire, kindle, sound, video