[INFO][HOWTO] Official Galaxy Nexus LCD Density Modding Thread
This thread will serve as a discussion for modifying the LCD Density of the Samsung Glaxy Nexus. Stock density is 320 dpi, and the preferred modded density is 240 dpi. Please feel free to discuss lcd density, and notify me of anything you want added to the list.
Why modify the lcd density of your phone? Simple answer: more screen real estate.
1. How to modify you lcd density
Note: You can always go back to 320 dpi at any time by following these same steps and putting 320 back in for 240!
240 dpi is the recommended modded dpi for the Galaxy Nexus. You can however set it to whatever you want. Just know that many dpi's will cause the on screen buttons to disappear, and even possibly cause the launcher to crash. In both cases you can use the adb method to restore to 240 or 320.
241 dpi is also a good number to try. It fixes the problems some apps have when running at 240 dpi. Credit goes to g33k3r. However it will cause market incompatibilities. Read #6 to fix this.
246 will fix the contact widget, and quick contact, but it will use the old style contact info which shows a large contact image above their info, not small and to the side. Credit goes to maddler.
250 dpi OR 260 dpi OR 280 dpi are also good values if you would like a smaller than stock value, but 240 is too small for you.
Method 1 (Using an app):
Download LCD Density Modder
(Free) / LCD Density Modder Pro
from market. Set density to 240 or 241, apply, then reboot. There are multiple different apps that can change your dpi, but this app is guaranteed to work on the Galaxy Nexus.
Method 2 (Modify a file):
Using Root File Explorer or a similar program, modify /system/build.prop
file (must mount /system as r/w).
Save and reboot.
Method 3 (Using adb):
adb pull /system/build.prop C:/build.prop
In build.prop, replace:
adb push C:/build.prop /system/build.prop
2. Apps where UI is different on 240 dpi (for better or worse, ui elements have been rearranged, but none are broken)
3. Apps where UI is broken, but still useable
- Launcher: Home screen icons are still 4x4 and squished into the center of the screen. App drawer and Widget drawer do not fill. There is a mod that fixes this in this thread: FIX HERE
- Market: Now has 2 columns instead of one when listing apps.
- Gmail: Quick access icons have been romved from the bottom and placed on the top. Only first two icons are visible, other are collapsed into the drop down menu.
- People: Contact info now has a two column layout: a small icon of contact on left (static) with all of the contact info as a scrolling pane on the right (no visible divider). Favorite contact icons are much smaller.
4. Apps where UI is completely broken
- Sports Tracker: Some interface items dont stretch to fill the screen.
- ADW /ADW Ex Launcher: There is a blue line and a menu icon above the homescreen at all times.
- Speedtest.net: App shows up centered on screen, not filling whole screen.
- Kindle: It still works but the text is now centered in the middle and there is a large amount of paddling around it.
5. Android UI glitches
- Music: App displays incorrectly at 240 dpi. Run at 241 to fix this
6. Market apps incompatable with device (according to market)
- Sometimes when selecting text the menu bar on the top of the screen will have a weird blue streak across it.
- Stock ICS keyboard the popup when you press a key seems like it gets clipped off a little on the bottom.
- Clicking the picture of a contact either from the people app, or from a 1x1 contact widget you no longer get the quick access popup, instead it is now the person's contact picture blown up to full screen and half cut off on the right side.
- None that I know of. Since 240 dpi is a standard dpi for most android phones, I don't envision very many apps being incompabile. If you find an app that the market say is incompatible, you can try setting your density back to 320 temporarily in order to download it.
7. Apps that crash (with possible workarounds)
For those with market issues on a non-standard dpi (241, 250, 260, 280 etc.), try this:
1. Boot your phone into 320 or 240 dpi mode (depending on which kind of compatibility you want).
2. Find the Market app under manage apps. Click uninstall updates, clear data, clear cache.
3. Find Market Updater under manage apps and click Disable.
4. Open Market and accept terms of service.
5. Change dpi back to 241 and reboot.
Alternatively, LCD Density Modder Pro has the ability to download and install a modded market apk to fix market compatibility issues.
8. Before and After Photos (320 dpi on left, 240 dpi on right):
***CLICK ANY SCREENSHOT TO VIEW FULL SIZE!***
Contact Info (note that the bottom bar has merged into the top bar):
- Youtube: Will crash on start. Open from landscape mode! Youtube will not crash if openened in landscape mode. You can also open youtube links from the browser and other apps just fine.