This is a precursor to a possible way of running a custom kernel and ROM on the Nook Tablet in a chroot environment. I've been working on an Android app and almost have a usable installer for my AndBuntu project. If we are sucessful, this installer can be converted to a Un-Nook-er app "AndNook" which may be used to install custom kernels and ROMs with additional work.
So, with that said, lets get to it.
You will need:
This is all the software you will need to run this script. If you don't have a Debian Linux based computer, you can dual boot, install Ubuntu within Windows, or run it from a memory stick.
- A rooted Nook Tablet
- Android Market installed on the Nook Tablet
- Busybox Installed on the Nook Tablet
- A Terminal Emulator installed on the Nook Tablet
- A VNC viewer Installed on the Nook Tablet
- A Linux computer, dual boot or run from a memory stick
The basic process will go like this.. Generate an image in Ubuntu, put that on your /sdcard/Ubuntu folder and then execute a script
- On the Linux computer execute the following code block
cd ~/Desktop sudo apt-get install rootstock sudo rootstock --dist maverick --seed lxde,tightvncserver,openoffice.org,gimp,ssh --fqdn localhost --login ubuntu --password ubuntu --imagesize 3800M --notarball --fullname "Ubuntu for Android" --kbmodel pc104 --locale en_US.UTF-8 --serial ttyS0 --doswap --swapsize 256M
- rename this file "ubuntu.img" without the quotes
- create a folder on the Nook Tablet called "/sdcard/ubuntu". (that's internal storage folder "/ubuntu/")
- copy the "ubuntu.img" file to the folder
- copy THIS SCRIPT to your sdcard/ubuntu/ folder and name it "uboot".
- launch the terminal emulator and execute the following code block
su sh /sdcard/ubuntu/uboot
- Paste the output of that command here. If it failed stop. If it worked, keep going
- in the Ubuntu environment execute the following code block
- Launch your VNC Viewer app
- Specify 127.0.0.1 as the connection address. Use your password which you selected in previous code block.
Please note, the script is designed for a Samsung Android device. There is a line in the SH script
I'm looking for feedback. If you cannot understand what's going on, please don't post. This is not user friendly.
I take no responsibility or liability for anything which may happen to your device. This may force your device into a boot loop 8 times and your device will be factory restored. If it does, please let me know and I will make changes accordingly.