5,605,187 Members 37,982 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

8.9 keyboard case

Tip us?

modestone
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I got it on Amazon belive it or not, it was a third party seller, and they only had one listed in stock,so I snatched it up, was the regular retail price of $150.

Here is the link, but its out of stock now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

nkrick
Old
Thanks Meter 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by modestone View Post
I got it on Amazon belive it or not, it was a third party seller, and they only had one listed in stock,so I snatched it up, was the regular retail price of $150.

Here is the link, but its out of stock now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
For anyone who does not mind full retail price ($149), you can purchase it direct from Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/gal...BKC-1C9USBGSTA

I am holding out for it to show up at more vendors. I suspect it will cost between $99 and $129 very quickly.
current -
Device: Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ (takju)
ROM: stock

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 wifi
ROM: stock, rooted with CWM

previous devices -
Device: Samsung Captivate i897
Hardware Revision: 1007
ROM: CM9
Radio: KG3

Device: HTC Fuze

RipplingHurst
Old
Thanks Meter 39
About the Samsung Keyboard (gorgeous, btw). Can you type on it and touch/pinch on the screen while it's upright? I mean, would it easily fall back? The rear support looks slippery/flimsy.
HP Touchpad
Refurbs Galaxy Tab 10.1 wifi (two, in the car - headrests)
Galaxy tab 8.9 LTE (in the car, driver's);
Galaxy tab 7.7 with me at all times. Galaxy Note 1: permanently in wife's car now.

Phone: Galaxy Note II LTE

nkrick
Old
Thanks Meter 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipplingHurst View Post
About the Samsung Keyboard (gorgeous, btw). Can you type on it and touch/pinch on the screen while it's upright? I mean, would it easily fall back? The rear support looks slippery/flimsy.
That's my only real concern also. The keyboard and case itself looks MUCH nicer than anything else on the market. I don't like cases that cover the sides of the screen (which the Samsung doesn't), and the keyboard looks larger and slimmer than any of the competitor's offerings.
current -

previous devices -

RipplingHurst
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Exactly and the YouTube video is crap, the thing lays flat nearly all the time...not helpful.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium
HP Touchpad
Refurbs Galaxy Tab 10.1 wifi (two, in the car - headrests)
Galaxy tab 8.9 LTE (in the car, driver's);
Galaxy tab 7.7 with me at all times. Galaxy Note 1: permanently in wife's car now.

Phone: Galaxy Note II LTE

modestone
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I have found it to actually be really quite sturdy, even on very slippery desk surfaces.

The stand itself is a quite ridged, yet has some flexability in that it wont snap under pressure.

The part of it that makes contatact with the desk or whatever is coated in a very grippy rubberized material that grips anything really sturdily.

It does not slipthats for sure.

So yea you can absolutely pinch and zoom while in laptop style angles on a desk, or leather couch.

The whole case is really thin and nicely designed, I also have the Vipertek slim leather case, and this is only very slightly thicker.

It does add quite a bit of weight to it, but its not to bad, and feels very solid.

The keyboard works pretty well, there is some quirks that I assume are related to androids implimentation of BT keyoards and hope to see addresed in ICS, but all in all I find it works pretty well.

When I bought it I was only really planning on using it when I knew I would need it for some reason, and still primarily have my tab in the Vipertek most of the time, but since I put my tab in, it has stayed in, and I don't think I will go back to my old case.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to modestone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dmunjal
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Can you flip the keyboard behind the screen and just use the screen say on your lap?

modestone
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunjal View Post
Can you flip the keyboard behind the screen and just use the screen say on your lap?
Nope, unfortunatly you cannot.

It almost goes all the way around but not quite.

That is probably one of the main drawbacks, but I have found it to be less of an issue then I thought it would be.

dmunjal
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Thanks for the response. I use it in portrait mode a lot and don't always need the keyboard. I would definitely get this if it wasn't so expensive!

nkrick
Old
Thanks Meter 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by modestone View Post
Nope, unfortunatly you cannot.

It almost goes all the way around but not quite.

That is probably one of the main drawbacks, but I have found it to be less of an issue then I thought it would be.
Thanks for the information, that is probably a deal breaker for me...
current -

previous devices -