Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,319 Members 51,381 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Chose the scenario that applies to your situation
Received the text after simply putting my SIM in 2 20.00%
Changed APN settings and never received a text 5 50.00%
Deleted EFS folder and did not get a text 2 20.00%
Renamed the EFS folder and did not get a text 1 10.00%
Spoofed the IMEI and did not get a text 0 0%
Did some/all of the above and still got a text 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

US Note users on AT&T - how are you dealing with the accusatory "tablet" text?

Tip us?

ericshmerick
Old
(Last edited by ericshmerick; 18th December 2011 at 03:09 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 259
Default US Note users on AT&T - how are you dealing with the accusatory "tablet" text?

I ordered a Galaxy Note, will be here Monday. Quick background: I've been with AT&t since 2007 and have grandfathered unlimited data (from the original iPhone days). My current phone (was) the Galaxy Nexus until I sold it today to pay for the Note. I have used many imported (non-ATT) phones over the years - at least 15 - absolutely no issues.

Of course, I've been reading the threads about AT&T flagging the Note smartphone as a tablet (lol) and eventually shutting down data on these devices. I clearly don't want this to happen and take a serious issue with AT&T forcing their opinion that this smartphone is a tablet when it is absolutely not a tablet.

The poll covers several scenarios. Please vote and add comments to this thread so we can get an idea of how aggressive AT&T is with this smartphone. If there is a poll choice that needs to be changed/added, let me know.

Also, include how long have you used your Note on AT&T before getting a threatening text (or if you never got one, how is it set up? EFS wipe? APN settings, etc).

I have no issue taking this issue to the highest at AT&T. I like to stir the pot and AT&T calling this phone a tablet is totally unacceptable.

Thanks.

900SS
Old
Thanks Meter 20
I have been with ATT sense 1994 when they toke over Cingular who I was with.
I have the PDA unlimited plan.

I put my sim card in.
Set APNs

Received text about 30 days later. (called them and thought all was good)
They turn off my data 14 days after that.
They turn data back on the next day after 2 hours on the phone with them.
ATT GALAXY NOTE 3: Rooted, Apex Launcher, Dynamic 4.0, ATT debloater.
ATT GALAXY NOTE 2: CLEAN ROM (back up)
ATT GALAXY NOTE: Flappjaxx AOSPxXx (wifes now)
SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE: Cassies Literom V6Launcher Pro (son is using)
SAMSUNG GAXLAY TAB: Overcome Jupiter Launcher Pro (still using)

maxh
Old
Thanks Meter 78
If you can edit the poll, it would be good to have an option for no dreaded SMS received yet.

I haven't received the SMS yet, despite how vocal I am against AT&T.

SMS date: none yet
Start date: 11/11 (36 days)
Plan: 2GB smartphone data
Mods: no /efs folder nor IMEI modifications
Location/market: Austin, TX
APN settings: the "phone" one for 4g smartphones

kdel
Old
Thanks Meter 1
My vote would have to be "other", if that were a choice. I have never been with at&t for wireless, and when I took my Note in to get a sim card, they would not even set me up with a voice plan at all. I have just data on it now. The manager claims they were told in a managers' meeting not to activate the note as a phone. They don't/won't support it, according to him. (he as a total d**k, by the way)

ericshmerick
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 259
Sorry guys, I can't edit the survey.

If you never received a text, list how long you have been using it without hearing from AT&T (1 day, 1 month, etc). It seems the texts arrive anywhere between instantly to over a month after use.

Also, if your situation doesn't apply to any of the choices (other) list your experience in the comments.

Thanks.

ericshmerick
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdel View Post
My vote would have to be "other", if that were a choice. I have never been with at&t for wireless, and when I took my Note in to get a sim card, they would not even set me up with a voice plan at all. I have just data on it now. The manager claims they were told in a managers' meeting not to activate the note as a phone. They don't/won't support it, according to him. (he as a total d**k, by the way)
Where are you located?

Why would managers be told not to activate a smartphone they plan on bringing to their own network in the first quarter of 2012?? This clearly goes against the GSM "open" standards and I'd be happy to get in touch with Ralph de la Vega about this local manager decision...

inurb
Old
Thanks Meter 52
I've been on medianet for 7 years and I've never got the text. Currently 4 days of note usage with no issues here.

p51d007
Old
Thanks Meter 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post

Why would managers be told not to activate a smartphone they plan on bringing to their own network in the first quarter of 2012??

Probably because they haven't crippled/screwed over the phone to work on their network yet. As with most carrier subsidized phones, they want to remove features, fill it with bloatware etc...
I've had 3 non branded phones, and they always work better than the bloated ones. My favorite complaint, back in the pre-smartphone day was the stupid button placement that would almost always guarantee you that you would easily hit the button to take you to the internet, incurring a data charge. Oh, I'm sure they didn't do that one on purpose LOL.
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment, protects the 1st.

Huawei Ascend Mate2
ROM: 4.3 Jelly Bean
Kernel 3.4.0-g9428221 @pekeaulxd0121 #1
Build number: MT2-L03V100R001C00B126

Sebring5
Old
Thanks Meter 123
I've been using this phone since November 2. No text message from ATT. APN settings: name ATT, APN phone, MCC 310, MNC 410, APN type internet + mms and everything else not set. Works fine with edge, 3g and HSPA.

seeking
Old
Thanks Meter 3
couldnt you just go down to an at&t store and have someone who works there check out your phone and call at&T themselves to confirm you do have a cell phone and not a tablet?