[Root][TWRP][FFF][CWM]Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.6 (5/09/12) [First Gen Only]

7th April 2012, 04:25 AM   |  #1261  
Flag Nebraska
Thanks Meter: 51

278 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChodaBoyUSA

OK everybody, like many of you, I have run into some problems trying to do the following:

1. root my Kindle
  2. Install a recovery image
  3. Get Google Play working

I am pleased to say I have finally succeeded. (Hooray!) In an effort to "give back" to the community, I thought I would pass along my findings.

Problem #1
I could not get the KFU to recognize (find) my Kindle. I installed the Kindle drivers via install_drivers.bat several times. I installed the Android SDK (which I had planned to do for app development anyway). I uninstalled the Samsung driver for my SGS2. I uninstalled the Samsung KIES app. I still could not get this laptop to work with KFU. My Kindle also would not mount as a USB drive. I was successful using an old Win7 PC, but it is in an inconvenient place in my house.
SOLUTION
I found some posts in this thread that suggested to connect the Kindle, then go to Device Manager and uninstall the device it has connected as (e.g. "Android ADB") with the "Delete the driver software for this device." option selected. Now disconnect your Kindle. Install the Kindle drivers (install_drivers.bat). Connect your Kindle and let Windows install the proper drivers.

Thank you for this solution. Once I did this everything work great and I was able to root my KF with no issues.
7th April 2012, 07:26 AM   |  #1262  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Alright I actually still have an issue, the Kindle is rooted, I have access to the Android "normal" screen via Go Launcher EX, but apparently superuser is still now working.

Any time I try to install the apps via KFU I get:

Quote:

failed to copy 'apps\system\vending.apk' to '/system/app/vending.apk': Permissio
n denied
failed to copy 'apps\system\GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk' to '/system/app/Googl
eCalendarSyncAdapter.apk': Permission denied
failed to copy 'apps\system\GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk' to '/system/app/Googl
eContactsSyncAdapter.apk': Permission denied

Now I'm being told to install the apps from recovery but can't figure out that.

EDIT: nvm figured it out! I'm still having some issues with the su but the apps were flashed from recovery just fine! I guess I'll just flash the 6.3 rooted directly from this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1569298
Last edited by LanFeusT23; 7th April 2012 at 07:45 AM.
8th April 2012, 05:23 AM   |  #1263  
Flag Jersey City, NJ

182 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanFeusT23

EDIT: nvm figured it out! I'm still having some issues with the su but the apps were flashed from recovery just fine! I guess I'll just flash the 6.3 rooted directly from this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1569298

Quick question, what recovery are you using?
8th April 2012, 03:20 PM   |  #1264  
Thanks Meter: 0

15 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WattB006

Thank you for this solution. Once I did this everything work great and I was able to root my KF with no issues.

Thank you! This was also the solution for me as well.
9th April 2012, 02:41 PM   |  #1265  
Thanks Meter: 24

163 posts
Anyone an idea, why superuser is not installing with 0.9.5 always properly?
I had at least 2 KF where it did not happen, had to install manually.

Mine, rooted since 6.1, rooted with 0.9.5 the 6.3 without any issues.
Last edited by diba320; 9th April 2012 at 06:23 PM.
9th April 2012, 04:35 PM   |  #1266  
Thanks Meter: 2

13 posts
More
Many many thanks for this utility, once I got the Android SDK and Java SDK set up this thing worked like a dream. The only thing that didn't work right was installing Google Play. But that's super easy to sideload with root access. Again, thank you! It took me several hours to set up my mother-in-law's Fire, once I had it down, it took all of 20 minutes to set up my wife's Fire.
9th April 2012, 07:23 PM   |  #1267  
Thanks Meter: 12

229 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanFeusT23

Alright I actually still have an issue, the Kindle is rooted, I have access to the Android "normal" screen via Go Launcher EX, but apparently superuser is still now working.

Any time I try to install the apps via KFU I get:

Now I'm being told to install the apps from recovery but can't figure out that.

How did you fix this?
9th April 2012, 07:46 PM   |  #1268  
Flag Milford
Thanks Meter: 3

39 posts
Question
would it be possible to make an entry in there under extras menu for swyoe and other keyboards?
10th April 2012, 07:59 AM   |  #1269  
Flag Jersey City, NJ

182 posts
More
Why not make it yourself, his batch file is pretty clean, if I do say so myself. Matta fact, i think i'll get to work on that one right now. I Don't use any keyboards other than swype though.

What swype keyboard do you use, the beta? and what rom? I doubt it is as simple with let's say cm9 as it is with the stock because cm9 actually gives you the option to select swype in settings. But I can double check the script once finished to see if it works well with my girls stock rooted kindle.
Last edited by Techlyfe; 10th April 2012 at 08:02 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Techlyfe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th April 2012, 02:14 PM   |  #1270  
Flag Pridelands
Thanks Meter: 49

760 posts
Donate to Me
More
Drivers won't install
I can not get the Kindle Drivers to install on Win 7 x64....It just hangs on Please wait while the drivers install....I did click "Install anyway" to the security box that popped up.

I have tried restarting the computer and turning off Avast...but still hangs and I have to kill the process in task manager.

EDIT: Must be something with my primary desktop system, as the drivers installed in a second on my secondary system...

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootmode, debrick, drivers, kindle, twrp
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Kindle Fire Android Development by ThreadRank