OK everybody, like many of you, I have run into some problems trying to do the following:
- root my Kindle
- Install a recovery image
- Get Google Play working
I am pleased to say I have finally succeeded. (Hooray!) In an effort to "give back" to the community, I thought I would pass along my findings.
I could not get the KFU to recognize (find) my Kindle. I installed the Kindle drivers via install_drivers.bat several times. I installed the Android SDK (which I had planned to do for app development anyway). I uninstalled the Samsung driver for my SGS2. I uninstalled the Samsung KIES app. I still could not get this laptop to work with KFU. My Kindle also would not mount as a USB drive. I was successful using an old Win7 PC, but it is in an inconvenient place in my house.
I found some posts in this thread that suggested to connect the Kindle, then go to Device Manager and uninstall the device it has connected as (e.g. "Android ADB") with the "Delete the driver software for this device." option selected. Now disconnect your Kindle. Install the Kindle drivers (install_drivers.bat). Connect your Kindle and let Windows install the proper drivers.