[Root][TWRP][FFF][CWM]Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.6 (5/09/12) [First Gen Only]

OP Vashypooh

19th January 2012, 03:10 PM   |  #731  
Flag Napa, California
Thanks Meter: 269

665 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerSteak

If you update to 6.2.2 and use BurritoRoot2 you'll find that KFU doesn't work. I got around it by doing this prior to running it (and if KFU does something that reboots the Kindle, you'll need to do it again prior to doing anything else in KFU)

adb shell ./data/local/BurritoRoot2.bin
adb root

Once you do that, KFU does all the other stuff correctly, including reinstall all the apps with Market/Facebook/etc. and installing TWRP. Once KFU has been updated to use BurritoRoot2 it won't be a big deal. Hope this helps anyone who's trying to get back to where they were after the OTA update.

Hey just want to thank you for the post. I got my fire yesterday, rooted, installed twrp, and used app quarantine to quarantine the ota update apk hoping to prevent an OTA. And everything was working great. Until tonight I was messing around with my fire and it turned off, rebooted, then went to installing a package all on its own.

At first I was confused but I figured somehow the update went through. And sure enough after it restarted I was at 6.2.2, lost root, and twrp. So Ive been scrambling ever since trying to get it back to what it was. I was able to use burritoroot2 to get rooted again. And Ive spent hours reading and trying to install twrp again and finally found your post. So I guess now its just wait until KFU gets updated to be able to install twrp after 6.2.2?

So my question is, after Im able to get twrp back is there any sure fire way to block the OTA? Because I want to keep it at rooted stock. I saw this thread here, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1451747 but it doesnt prevent ota. So other than a custom rom is there a way to prevent amazon from sabotaging my device? Thanks
19th January 2012, 04:23 PM   |  #732  
Thanks Meter: 459

1,620 posts
maybe try this:http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1451328
20th January 2012, 12:06 AM   |  #733  
Thanks Meter: 4

175 posts
More
Like an idiot I updated to 6.2.2 last night but then decided I wanted to root today. Is this going to be updated to use Burritoroot2 or should I just root it by hand(preferably not)
20th January 2012, 12:20 AM   |  #734  

1,620 posts
you have to root by hand at the time but after that you can use it with a little patch:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=622
or if you want to edit run.bat:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=730
The Following User Says Thank You to b63 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2012, 01:39 AM   |  #735  
Thanks Meter: 4

175 posts
More
I got it rooted by hand but IDK what to do to install twrp by cmd. Does the image have to be in the KindleADB folder with the other stuff(su, superuser.apk)
EDIT: Decided screw doing it by hand and did the method the couple guys above me did for recovery and it worked great. Thanks guys
Last edited by Thomas1218; 20th January 2012 at 02:16 AM.
20th January 2012, 05:03 AM   |  #736  
Flag Lexington, KY
Thanks Meter: 195

620 posts
More
I really hope that at some point, there is a more standardized, predictable and SUCCESSFUL way to flash a recovery system onto our Kindle Fires. I'm not a techie per se' (I do this just as a hobby), so I rely heavily on following directions. It doesn't have to be as easy as having ROM Manager and selecting the Flash CWR option, but it would be nice to be able to follow a set of instructions that include downloading the needed files, and using ADB to enter some commands and end up with a recovery system on my Fire. A nearly complete build of CM9 is out now and it sure would be nice to be able to flash it!

Edit: Used the KFU many times but cannot get a complete install of TWR.
Last edited by djkeller3; 20th January 2012 at 05:07 AM.
20th January 2012, 07:58 AM   |  #737  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 3

90 posts
hi all i was hoping someone on here can help me out. rooting of my kindle fire went well but afterwards when trying to use KFU to flash twrp, it gave me an error message of "cygwin1.dll is missing" i did a search and couldn't come up with anything. what am i missing? im using KFU 0.9.2 thanks in advance.
20th January 2012, 11:31 AM   |  #738  

1,620 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foliage green

hi all i was hoping someone on here can help me out. rooting of my kindle fire went well but afterwards when trying to use KFU to flash twrp, it gave me an error message of "cygwin1.dll is missing" i did a search and couldn't come up with anything. what am i missing? im using KFU 0.9.2 thanks in advance.

place kfu in something like c:\kfu - it does'nt like blanks in the pathname

and if you have 6.2.2:
root with burritoroot2 and run

adb root

everytime before using kfu
Last edited by b63; 20th January 2012 at 11:55 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to b63 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2012, 02:53 PM   |  #739  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 3

90 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b63

place kfu in something like c:\kfu - it does'nt like blanks in the pathname

and if you have 6.2.2:
root with burritoroot2 and run

adb root

everytime before using kfu

Thanks. I'll give that a try. Is the Cygwin1.dll supposed to be in the zip file? I noticed that the utility calls on fastboot but that wasn't in the bundle so I'm wondering if the file I dl'd was just missing some stuff for some reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to foliage green For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2012, 04:36 PM   |  #740  
Thanks Meter: 10

44 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1exus

really? awesome! can someone confirm that it's working?

I believe it should be working, I wrote it and I used it a couple days ago when I was doing the 6.2.2 update.
Last edited by eratosthene; 20th January 2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: quote

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootmode, debrick, drivers, kindle, twrp
Previous Thread Next Thread