5,600,571 Members 33,236 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kindle Fire Update

Tip us?

wolfpack612
Old
Thanks Meter 71
does the update delete non original system apps?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda premium
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Radio: UVBMD1
ROM: Stock rooted deodexed UVBMD1
Kernel: SaberKernel 32.2

sgood1971
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I have Amazon update server pointing to localhost in my hosts file. I have not received an update yet. Has anyone been updated using this method?

slim_thumb
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Default freeze OTASilentInstall

The first time I switched on my KF about 2 weeks ago it automatically updated to 6.2 firmware as soon as I hooked it up to wifi. 6.2 still allows superoneclick rooting.

Thank goodness I used root uninstaller to freeze OTASilentInstall immediately after rooting my KF (rooting is required for this app). I did not get any forced FW update and my KF remains in 6.2 and rooted.

I guess future new stocks of KF with the newest FW will not be rootable until someone finds a new method. Anyone who just bought a KF MUST NOT hook it up to the wifi immediately, otherwise it will update the FW autonatically, making it unrootable. You should first check the FW version (cogwheel icon in top right corner -> More -> Device -> System version) and see that it is 6.2 or lower. Then you should follow the guide to root the KF, and side-load and install root uninstaller in order to freeze the OTASilentInstall and stop the forced FW update. Then you can hook up to wifi and have fun on the internet!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slim_thumb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Whiskey103
Old
(Last edited by Whiskey103; 19th December 2011 at 11:21 PM.)
Forum Moderator Recognized Themer Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 10691
Keep it nice and friendly.

Thread cleaned.

krelvinaz
Old
Thanks Meter 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgood1971 View Post
I have Amazon update server pointing to localhost in my hosts file. I have not received an update yet. Has anyone been updated using this method?
I did the same but didn't know if it would actually block it.

So far I have not gotten it.

I also have TWRP 2.0 with FIREFIREFIRE on my KF. Not sure the update will work with that.
Phone: TMobile - Samsung SM-900T Galaxy Note 3 - KitKat Rooted/Stock - QI Wireless
Tablet: Nexus 7 16gb Stock Rooted - 4.4 w/TWRP Recovery
Droid Like Devices: Several ChromeCasts, Amazon Fire TV
Link: ReZoundn EVO 4g LTE and HTC Droid DNA Splash Screen Web Generator

sl0ttedpig
Old
(Last edited by sl0ttedpig; 19th December 2011 at 11:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 56
Wife didn't get the update yet, so I quickly rooted, and renamed the OTASilentInstall.apk to .bak, rebooted, and we'll see what happens. I'm not overly confident about the hosts fix, but within the next day or so I guess we'll see which ones work. Maybe by then we'll be able to re-root in any case.

defyiant
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I'm glad that I went to cm7 hopefully the higher up's find away sound this

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

jolars
Old
Thanks Meter 6
So are users saying they cannot re-root at all after the update?

Hellcat6
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Well I didn't get to mine before it installed the update. Noticed no one talked about what it actually did. Quick look shows there is more to the "more" menu now. Now in settings you also see sounds, Display, Restrictions (what is that about?), wireless network, keyboard. Think these are all new but not sure. Under device, there is now a seperate bar for app storage and internal storage. Seems like Market is not working and root is gone.

neilrl79
Old
Thanks Meter 103

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat6 View Post
Well I didn't get to mine before it installed the update. Noticed no one talked about what it actually did. Quick look shows there is more to the "more" menu now. Now in settings you also see sounds, Display, Restrictions (what is that about?), wireless network, keyboard. Think these are all new but not sure. Under device, there is now a seperate bar for app storage and internal storage. Seems like Market is not working and root is gone.
Sounds, display, wireless network and keyboard are in 6.2 but I don't see restrictions so that must be new.