[Q] question about ROM Kitchen and Wildfire S

OP InsaneDDay69

20th December 2011, 12:15 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mt. Vernon
Thanks Meter: 87

230 posts
More
i am wanting to experiment with making a ROM for my WFS. i have ROM kitchen, but it doesnt natively support these phones. i have seen a thread or 2 from people that have made a ROM with the kitchen, so i was wondering if the ones that have done it can point me in the right direction to making the mount file needed to make it work right. any help is greatly appreciated, and i plan on sharing my creation here if i get one stable and working.

*note-i tried to ask this question in one of the mentioned threads, but it wouldnt let me post in the dev forums. not a problem, but wanted to explain why i asked here.
21st December 2011, 05:12 AM   |  #2  
Flag Greenville, SC
Thanks Meter: 253

607 posts
Donate to Me
More
easy nuff
I've used it. What carrier you with? And what software number you got fron that carrier [Found in menu settings about phone software info]? What version of kitchen did you install on what kind of platform? Ok I asked three questions, shoot me the answers back and feel free to ask three of your own.

Rob
Last edited by insink71; 21st December 2011 at 05:13 AM. Reason: can't count
The Following User Says Thank You to insink71 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st December 2011, 06:46 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mt. Vernon

230 posts
More
I have virgin mobile USA. I'm running 2.3.4, and i have kitchen installed on Ubuntu. Not sure what version of kitchen, it was the latest one from the original posting of it.

Sent from my Wildfire S
Last edited by InsaneDDay69; 21st December 2011 at 06:52 AM.
21st December 2011, 01:13 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mt. Vernon

230 posts
More
i was away from my computer when i read your response. my kitchen version is 0.182, the newest one on the official thread.
22nd December 2011, 01:05 AM   |  #5  
Flag Greenville, SC

607 posts
Donate to Me
More
noted
Ok. What questions do you have about the kitchen?

Rob
22nd December 2011, 01:26 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mt. Vernon

230 posts
More
just mainly wondering how to get the mount points i need to make the ROM work properly. aside from that unless you have any tips for a new guy, then i think thats all. i appreciate any info you provide, and i also appreciate you responding.
25th December 2011, 12:11 PM   |  #7  
Flag Greenville, SC

607 posts
Donate to Me
More
Rom Kitchen
Since you've made it through the setup (I assume). For your stock Rom, (in recovery) run a nandroid, now clear all your data (factory reset) and run another nandroid (just something I like to do to ensure no data will be pulled... Probably not necessary but it gives you your revert to (with data) and your (clean) build nandroid. Now take your build nandroid and open it up with a file manager (ie es explorer). You will want to grab two files from this nandroid... boot.img & system.img (may have called it system.yaffs2.img but just grab it and rename it to system.img). Ok now you have your ingredients for your first build. Connect the phone to your computer (USB storage) pull the two files across to the folder in your home directory that says put Rom here. You are ready to start cooking. Start the kitchen and use those 2 files to build your working folder. You can also try out the various features dsixda has built in. For example lets say you make your Rom rooted, you add apps2sd support, and just for giggles you deodex too. Now any additional changes you want to make can be done in the working folder. So, for our figurative example lets say you wanted to delete flashlite and add a full flash player, download the apk (think there are links to flash player or new market in the app & theme forum), delete flaslite.apk from the system folder in your working directory and paste your full flash player.apk in... Ok you've done all the editing to your working folder that you want to do (lots that you can change, but you want to have a working build and you don't have to make any changes to working folder if you just want to go through the options and read what the kitchen can cook in automatically; as you gain knowledge, you will edit your working folder more and more by hand, but that time will come). Ok start back up your kitchen and make sure all the options you wish have been completed (option 10 I think). Then if it all looks good, cook it (option 99); Also make sure you convert the update script back to updater. Go to the output folder and there you will have your flashable Rom. And thus concludes the lesson for today ;)

Rob
Last edited by insink71; 25th December 2011 at 12:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to insink71 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th December 2011, 01:33 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 4

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneDDay69

just mainly wondering how to get the mount points i need to make the ROM work properly. aside from that unless you have any tips for a new guy, then i think thats all. i appreciate any info you provide, and i also appreciate you responding.

thanks insink71 for your help. but I think what he mean is kitchen template in 'edify_defs' dir.
there is no template for marvel (I'm stuck too )
example:
Code:
edify_defs # cat vivo

# HTC Incredible S

change_mnt=yes

param1=ext3
param2=MMC

param1_sdcard=vfat
param2_sdcard=MTD

sys_mnt=\/dev\/block\/mmcblk0p25
cache_mnt=\/dev\/block\/mmcblk0p27
boot_mnt=\/dev\/block\/mmcblk0p22
data_mnt=\/dev\/block\/mmcblk0p26
sdcard_mnt=\/dev\/block\/mmcblk1p1

edify_defs #
The Following User Says Thank You to zero13th For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th December 2011, 02:28 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mt. Vernon

230 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero13th

thanks insink71 for your help. but I think what he mean is kitchen template in 'edify_defs' dir.
there is no template for marvel (I'm stuck too )
example:

Code:
edify_defs # cat vivo

# HTC Incredible S

change_mnt=yes

param1=ext3
param2=MMC

param1_sdcard=vfat
param2_sdcard=MTD

sys_mnt=\/dev\/block\/mmcblk0p25
cache_mnt=\/dev\/block\/mmcblk0p27
boot_mnt=\/dev\/block\/mmcblk0p22
data_mnt=\/dev\/block\/mmcblk0p26
sdcard_mnt=\/dev\/block\/mmcblk1p1

edify_defs #

You are correct, but the tips are invaluable to me as a beginner. I have read somewhere that there isn't a new template to make for the marvel, but I don't know if its true. That was the reason for my asking lol. I appreciate the responses.

Sent from my Wildfire S
26th December 2011, 07:38 PM   |  #10  
Flag Greenville, SC

607 posts
Donate to Me
More
edify defs
I didn't make one [and cooked a couple stock roms], but thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll look into it.

Rob

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread