"[ROOT] Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE (SGH-i957) *updated 2/10/2012*"

OP orlandoxpolice

20th December 2011, 12:17 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 240

1,695 posts
More
People have requested that the initial thread from the general section be cleaned up into a step by step, so here goes. This is ONLY FOR HONEYCOMB 3.2 for the SGH-i957.

NEXT WARNING: USE OF ODIN CAN DAMAGE YOUR PHONE IF USED INCORRECTLY. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DUE TO FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS. PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

Method 1

This is for people who want to keep the stock kernel. This will not trip the flash counter.

1. Download and Install the Samsung Drivers for your device. Install Kies, or the latest mobile drivers.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=961956
2. Download CWM Recovery (courtesy of utkanos)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9459955/reco...covery.tar.md5
2. Download Odin 1.85
http://www.mediafire.com/?cghfk06lcfiwi29
3. Open Odin 1.85 as administrator
4. Place the CWMR.tar file in the PDA slot. (Make sure you do not have any boxes in the options panel checked besides the ones that were checked when opening the program - should only be auto reboot and f.reset time)
5. Place the tablet in download mode. Hold vol up + vol down and hold power until the device powers on into download mode. Hit volume up to proceed after the warning screen
6. Plug the tablet into the computer on a main usb slot and it will be detected by Odin in one of the ID:COM slots (will appear as yellow)
7. Hit Start - cwm recovery should will be flashed to the tablet. Tablet will restart.
8. Download superuser.zip from the skyrocket forums (courtesy Copperhed)
http://www.mediafire.com/?4h8cmh287mcxuf8
9. Copy superuser.zip to the tablet
10. Reboot into recovery (Power + Volume Up)
11. Navigate to 'Install zip from SD card' and select 'superuser.zip'. You will get an SD Card error when it is done installing, this is normal.

You are now rooted with stock kernel.

Method 2

This is Da_G's work. This will trip your flash counter.

Steps:
1. Download and Install the Samsung Drivers for your device. Install Kies, or the latest mobile drivers.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=961956
2. Download Da_G's modded kernel
http://ponack.net/TPC/dagnarf/sgh-i9...-kernel-v2.tar
2. Download Odin 1.85
http://www.mediafire.com/?cghfk06lcfiwi29
3. Open Odin 1.85 as administrator
4. Place the modded kernel .tar file in the PDA slot. (Make sure you do not have any boxes in the options panel checked besides the ones that were checked when opening the program - should only be auto reboot and f.reset time)
5. Place the tablet in download mode. Hold vol up + vol down and hold power until the device powers on into download mode. Hit volume up to proceed after the warning screen
6. Plug the tablet into the computer on a main usb slot and it will be detected by Odin in one of the ID:COM slots (will appear as yellow)
7. Hit Start - the modded kernel should will be flashed to the tablet. Tablet will restart.
8. Go into market and download the Superuser App.

Optional - you can flash the stock kernel back using steps 3-7 above.
http://ponack.net/TPC/dagnarf/stock-...r-sgh-i957.tar

Changes in Da_G's Kernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_G

Changes in this kernel:
ADB Insecure (gives you # root prompt at adb instead of $)
su, busybox added to ramdisk
script to install busybox and su at boot-up
init.d support for running init.d scripts at bootup
stock android bootanimation (so you can run custom boot anims)

***Note: User Croak flashed the stock ATT Firmware to his Bell device and successfully used this root method afterwards.***

Initial Development Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1390522

Credits:
Huge thanks to Da_G for doing ALL of the work on the modified kernel without owning the device.
Croak and Blackberrynomore for being the first to test!
Scarchunk for the CWM kernel zips!
Attached Files
File Type: zip DaGOCkernel.zip - [Click for QR Code] (7.03 MB, 518 views)
File Type: zip DaGRootKernel.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.37 MB, 550 views)
File Type: zip StockKernel.zip - [Click for QR Code] (5.33 MB, 521 views)
Last edited by orlandoxpolice; 28th December 2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Added new method.
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to orlandoxpolice For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th December 2011, 02:43 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 25

287 posts
Thanks Orlando we needed do that as there have been an increasing amount of people asking "how do I ". By the way if you type Odin 1.85 into Google it will come up with the first result being a link to a direct download from XDA. This makes it easier and faster to download because you get an instant file save dialog.
20th December 2011, 03:44 AM   |  #3  
Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Riverside, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,520

3,275 posts
Donate to Me
More
I am working on a ROM/Recovery for you guys now, need some testers with adb knowledge in irc.irondust.net #skyrocket
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Da_G For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th December 2011, 02:52 PM   |  #4  
Flag Connecticut
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Donate to Me
More
sweeeeeeet!

I'm going to do this as soon as I get home from work.

Then I can try to do the Hulu hack... Wish me luck with that...

P.S. Is it odd that superuser is already installed on my tab? (I'm assuming it's because Google is super smart and they know I had it installed on my old phone)

P.P.S. What do I have to do to get rid of this 5 minute post restriction You guys are worse than AT&T! Restricting my free speech like that!

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoxpolice

WARNING: THIS WILL TRIP YOUR FLASH COUNTER

Is that bad?

P.P.P.S I talk a lot... yes I know... tell me something that my gf doesn't tell me every day :P
Last edited by kralco626; 20th December 2011 at 02:58 PM.
20th December 2011, 04:55 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

1,695 posts
More
Flash counter means that they can detect a custom flash, meaning warranty is void.

If you have your phone synced maybe it restored superuser.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
20th December 2011, 06:28 PM   |  #6  
Flag Connecticut

7 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Flash counter means that they can detect a custom flash, meaning warranty is void.

If you have your phone synced maybe it restored superuser.

I have brought my phone back to the att warranty center for replacement and I don't think they have ever checked a flash counter...
20th December 2011, 08:33 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

1,695 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kralco626

I have brought my phone back to the att warranty center for replacement and I don't think they have ever checked a flash counter...

I agree with this. You most likely will never have them call you out on a flash counter. Have to put the disclaimer in though.

21st December 2011, 12:03 AM   |  #8  
Flag Connecticut

7 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I agree with this. You most likely will never have them call you out on a flash counter. Have to put the disclaimer in though.

HAHA, ya have to include those disclaimers.

I am rooted, as confirmed by root check basic

I'm going to try to make Hulu work now, I'll post the results if I can get Hulu to work!
21st December 2011, 01:40 AM   |  #9  
Flag Connecticut

7 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kralco626

HAHA, ya have to include those disclaimers.

I am rooted, as confirmed by root check basic

I'm going to try to make Hulu work now, I'll post the results if I can get Hulu to work!

So I ended up downloading Flash Video Browser from the market, it doesn't even require root... It just runs flash websites as if they were running on a desktop computer.

Hulu worked great through that! Brought my tablet to the gym and ran on the treadmill while watching hulu! YAY!
21st December 2011, 05:54 AM   |  #10  

18 posts
Big thanks to Orlando, Croak and especially Da_G. 24 hours in to owning my tab, I am rooted. Now to find a hotspot app...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
8.9, galaxytab, lte, root, sgh-i957
Previous Thread Next Thread