Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,200 Members 40,941 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to block B&N 1.41 update?

Tip us?

clnook
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] How to block B&N 1.41 update?

B&N has announced 1.41 will be automatically rollling out to Tablet starting yesterday actually and early reports indicate it prevents sideloading of non B&N apps.

Is there a known method to block the 1.41 update?

Thanks!

yaggermr
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Required Apps:
- Root Explorer (in market)
- SQLite Editor (in market)

Process:
1. Open Root Explorer
2. Open devicemanager.db from (/data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db)
3. Select "registry" - this should open up a spreadsheet looking file
4. Find row: com.bn.device.fota.mode
5. Drag over to the column labeled "value"
6. Press and hold "auto" until the "Actions" window pops up
7. Select "Edit Field"
8. Replace auto with manual
9. Select "Save"

not my post just info from forums how to block otas the easy way.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to yaggermr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JoeM01
Old
Thanks Meter 55
source that an update is coming to the Nook Tablet? And source for these early reports?

Only updates I'm seeing are for the Nook Color.

clnook
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
It has been posted on the official Barnes & Noble community forums.

hxxp://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Tablet-General-Discussion/Software-Update-1-4-1-posted/td-p/1242366/jump-to/first-unread-message

kes00601
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Well, if that's the case I'll probably be giving up the NT and will let the school I work for have it to go along w/their 5 NCs.

Zydraka
Old
Thanks Meter 6
The update does indeed close off the installation of 3rd party apps. I'd post a link to it but it won't let me.

JoeM01
Old
Thanks Meter 55
before everyone starts jumping off the wagon, how about someone verifies if they've received their update, and then attempts to sideload. there's nothing on there that CONFIRMS it, just speculation.

jimmysuggs
Old
Thanks Meter 17
So can anyone actually confirm that changing the "com.bn.device.fota.mode" from auto to manual actually works and that it successfully blocked the 1.41 update?

I've seen a lot of threads about using that method, but no actual posts about whether it works or not. Just a lot of mentions about how theoretically it should, etc.

I made the change I've got my fingers crossed that my nook won't update, but I won't know for sure until I'm back home where there's wifi. Until then, just wondering if anyone out there can confirm that this method of blocking OTAs actually works.

clnook
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Official info at

barnesandnoble.com/u/Software-Updates-NOOK-Tablet/379003187/

clnook
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysuggs View Post
So can anyone actually confirm that changing the "com.bn.device.fota.mode" from auto to manual actually works and that it successfully blocked the 1.41 update?

I've seen a lot of threads about using that method, but no actual posts about whether it works or not. Just a lot of mentions about how theoretically it should, etc.

I made the change I've got my fingers crossed that my nook won't update, but I won't know for sure until I'm back home where there's wifi. Until then, just wondering if anyone out there can confirm that this method of blocking OTAs actually works.
Yes, that's the 64k question. Hoping we have a volunteer who is willing to take the risk. Apparently this is an automatic update with no prior warning and you are not prompted whether to accept or deny the update.