[Stock Firmware]Restore Barnes & Nobel Nook Tablet 16G 1.4.0 from SDCard

OP AdamOutler

20th December 2011, 04:53 PM   |  #1  
This is for the Nook Tablet 16Gig version only. Do not use with 8Gig version

Introduction
Making a magic SDCard which will take you back to stock 1.4.0 is easy!

This method will allow you to restore 1.4.0 firmware onto your Nook Tablet. Personally, I think holding the buttons and halting the device boot 8 times in a row is a bit time consuming. So, here is how you make a "Magic SDCard".

Instructions
Just follow these 4 easy steps to restore your device to 1.4.0.
  1. Download this file: http://devftp.xda-developers.com/fil...aim_update.zip (Do not change the file name. Make sure it is named "acclaim_update.zip" without quotes).
  2. Copy the file on a Micro SDCard.
  3. Insert the Micro SDCard into your Nook Tablet
  4. Turn on your Nook and observe a factory restoration.

Conclusion
This will initiate Recovery Mode and flash the entire zip. acclaim_update.zip will restore your device to stock firmware and wipe all user data. I will be working on other methods and I believe it is possible to force the device to boot it's entire firmware from Micro SDCard.

Troubleshooting
"N" Button is inoperative
solution:
  1. Press and hold the Power and "N" Button until the device reboots.
  2. Continue to hold the Power and "N" button until the device reboots 8 times. This will wipe data and restore the "N" button functionality

SDCard method does not work
solutions:
  1. Ensure you have a Nook Tablet, not a Nook Color (funny as it sounds, this is a big problem)
  2. redownload the acclaim_update.zip
  3. Use the Nook settings menu to format the sdcard
  4. Use a different SDCard

Video walkthrough
This video will walk you through switching firmware versions, rooting, backing up, and several other techniques
Last edited by AdamOutler; 25th February 2012 at 02:34 AM.
The Following 68 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th December 2011, 05:31 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 93

844 posts
At the risk of sounding clueless..... How will placing a .zip file on a non-bootable card help? What about the signed bootloader issue? Are we assuming the Nook Tablet is not broken to the point it will not boot on it's own?
The Following User Says Thank You to patruns For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th December 2011, 05:35 PM   |  #3  
Florence, AZ
Thanks Meter: 190

910 posts
More
Part of the boot process checks the SD Card for this exact file (and checks the contents I assume). If it exists, it gets executed. Someone else has already confirmed this works, though we can't yet get it to work for any other firmware (ICS, etc).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liquidzoo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th December 2011, 05:45 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 104

894 posts
Donate to Me
More
Nice. Use the old 1.4.0 factory image to restore. Brilliant.
Now if only we can do that with custom roms.
20th December 2011, 07:32 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 8

103 posts
Initial registration process with B&N
Does this .zip boots up just as if the NT came out of the box? if so, would the initial registration process with B&N push the 1.4.1 to us, or rather the NT pulls it from B&N?
The Following User Says Thank You to rvr350 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th December 2011, 07:51 PM   |  #6  
Florence, AZ
Thanks Meter: 190

910 posts
More
It will (I believe) reset it to an out-of-the-box condition. The registration process might pull the update automatically...if you set up wifi. Don't set it up (right away), and you won't have an issue. Go in, root, side-load what you need to block the update, and you should be good to go.
20th December 2011, 08:28 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 34

67 posts
according to BN's website, the update takes 5-10 min to download onto your device, and they instruct you NOT to power it off while this is occurring.

I would think you have a few minutes when it comes up to quickly find and install a few apps you may need for the 'fixing' process, (es file explorer, mount /system), then shut off the wifi.

Worst case scenario, you lose 5 minutes and are forced to restore again...
21st December 2011, 12:32 AM   |  #8  
Connecticut
Thanks Meter: 317

1,049 posts
Just to be clear, this doesn't require root right?
21st December 2011, 03:21 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 23

58 posts
A few painfully obvious noob questions. I have a 16gb sd card installed in my tablet. I have sideloaded numerous apps and they show up on my go launcher. Can I use that sd card to install the download you recommend? I assume you mean download the link you provided to my computer and then side load it to my SD card from the usb port on my computer.
Do I need to port all my side loaded apps from the go launcher onto my computer prior to this installation as the factory reset will wipe out all my third party sideloads?

Sorry for the questions. I'm sure this is obvious to most if not all on here but I learned to use a keyboard with a Underwood manual typewriter in 1957 and I'm just now getting comfortable with windows XP.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread