Thread Closed

[Update] Pre-rooted stock 6.2.1 update (secure and unsecure boot images)

OP eldarerathis

20th December 2011, 06:25 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 310

154 posts
More
I've put together a rooted version of the stock 6.2.1 update if anyone wants to have at it. I flashed this on my own Fire with TWRP and it boots and runs fine, but I haven't done any other testing. Shouldn't need to wipe /data if you're coming from a 6.2 system, not sure about other ROMs like CM. Of course, I highly recommend you make a backup before flashing (good habit, and all that). To install just put it onto your Fire's /sdcard partition, boot into TWRP and install the zip. Note that TWRP will complain that it can't find the /misc or /sd-ext partitions. This is normal, those partitions don't exist on the Fire, but it won't affect the installation.

I downloaded the stock zip from the link in this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=91 and then I changed the following from the stock zip file:
  • Removed the bootloader and recovery.img updates
  • Removed the backup_data.zip because it doesn't make sense, really (it looks like it just extracts to /backup/, but if you flash it it will wipe your /data partition?)
  • Added busybox, Superuser and the su binary. Should be properly symlinked and permissions set correctly.
  • Modified the updater-script for the above things.

Additionally, if you have the Market installed you may need to re-install it after updating since Amazon didn't do this as a patch - it just formats /system and replaces it. If you updated the Market manually then the newer version should survive in /data/app. Also, if you installed any custom frameworks or libraries (e.g. the maps framework to use Google Currents and whatnot) then you'll need to reinstall those. Basically, anything you added or modified on /system will be gone.

Edit: Thanks sadlius for pointing me to dsixda's kitchen! I've added a version with an unsecure boot image (so you get root by default on a shell). I'll leave the old one in case anyone would prefer the secure boot image. I've also uploaded the boot image itself for anyone who might have already flashed the secure 6.2.1 zip. I tried it with fastboot and it booted up fine, so you can test it first with:

Code:
fastboot boot 6_2_1rootboot.img
If it works, you can flash it (permanently overwrites your current boot partition) with:

Code:
fastboot flash boot 6_2_1rootboot.img

Downloads

MOD EDIT: Links no longer valid so removed.

Multiupload, courtesy sadlius:
update-6.2.1-rooted-secureboot.zip
Stock rooted update 6.2.1, secure boot image
update-6.2.1-rooted-unsecureboot.zip
Stock rooted update 6.2.1, unsecure boot image

Multiupload, courtesy intel352 (md5's should be the same):
update-6.2.1-rooted-secureboot.zip

Multiupload:
6_2_1rootboot.img Unsecure 6.2.1 boot image

Original Downloads:
Removed these so Dropbox won't yell at me anymore
Last edited by Moscow Desire; 30th October 2013 at 06:45 AM.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to eldarerathis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th December 2011, 07:01 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 10

110 posts
First attempt at installing I get:
E:Cannot load volume /misc!
E:Unable to stat '/sd-ext/.'
E:Unable to open zip file.

But I think I know what the problem is. Will attempt again in a few minutes. Or as soon as TWRP relinquished control of my KF back to me.
20th December 2011, 07:03 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 25

129 posts
You sir are a good Man....
20th December 2011, 07:08 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

154 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadalius

But I think I know what the problem is. Will attempt again in a few minutes. Or as soon as TWRP relinquished control of my KF back to me.

I got the "Cannot load volume /misc!" error, too, but it seems to be okay anyway. The KF simply doesn't have a /misc partition.

Curious that it can't open the zip, though, but I'll wait until after your second attempt to try troubleshooting.
20th December 2011, 07:15 PM   |  #5  
Flag Mesa AZ
Thanks Meter: 556

2,314 posts
More
Quote:

I have seen the same errors when I installed TWRP. It didn't seem to make a difference to it loading.

All but the last line.

Quote:

I think that is the real error.
20th December 2011, 07:28 PM   |  #6  

110 posts
I got it figured out. Somehow, the file was corrupted when I transferred it to the KF. Deleted it and re-transferred, it took it that time. Will report any positives or negatives once I get back to the actual OS and play around with it.

Thanks a bunch!!

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Yes. Everything I've tried so far works great!!

I do have one question though. I used to cook my own roms from OEM releases back when I had an HTC hero. May I ask what you used to root this with?
Last edited by sadalius; 20th December 2011 at 08:08 PM.
20th December 2011, 08:43 PM   |  #7  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 38

730 posts
Donate to Me
More
isn't 6.2 is latest ? where did 6.2.1 came from?
20th December 2011, 08:53 PM   |  #8  
Flag Monsey NY
Thanks Meter: 1

58 posts
More
HI,
is there someway for me to flash this using fastboot? Because im stuck in fastboot and can't get out of it!
20th December 2011, 09:07 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

154 posts
More
Quote:

I got it figured out. Somehow, the file was corrupted when I transferred it to the KF. Deleted it and re-transferred, it took it that time. Will report any positives or negatives once I get back to the actual OS and play around with it.

Thanks a bunch!!

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Yes. Everything I've tried so far works great!!

I do have one question though. I used to cook my own roms from OEM releases back when I had an HTC hero. May I ask what you used to root this with?

I do it manually. The update had a .bin extension but it was really a .zip, so I renamed it, extracted it, and made the modifications I wanted (like adding su/Superuser). Then I just re-zipped it.

Don't know if it's the most "efficient" way to do it, but it's straightforward enough and it's how I've always done it...
20th December 2011, 09:14 PM   |  #10  

110 posts
Wonder if dsixda's android kitchen would work on it. If it would, it would automatically make the boot.img unsecured through the root process. Not sure if it will handle it though.

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread