Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,580 Members 40,938 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I love the Nitro screen....

Tip us?

bmxant
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default I love the Nitro screen....

But something is telling me to wait and see what comes out by the end of this month, does anyone feel the same way? Or is anyone waiting to possibly return theirs?

I really hate the lack of support that this phone has. I think it would definitely be more popular if it was the first phone to get ICS as well, besides the Nexus of course.

The Skyrocket.......I just can't do it. LG actually updating the Nitro around the same time as the Skyrocket........I don't think it's going to happen.

I played with both phones, and the stock Nitro was a damn lag fest.

Namuna
Old
(Last edited by Namuna; 21st December 2011 at 04:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 91

DONATE TO ME
Seriously, what could be coming? A 3D screen (if so, I'm not particularly interested in them). I would imagine the 1280x720 IPS screen of the Nitro is going to be as far as the technology goes for awhile to come.

I do agree that lack of Dev/hacker interest is a bit light for the Nitro at the moment...But the phone only hit the streets Dec 5th and we've already got root, so that ain't nuttin.

You played with the Nitro and Skyrocket, where? If it was at a store, then unfortunately you saw the bloated down version of the Nitro. I assure you when you debloat the Nitro it makes quite a difference, with root and couple of tweaks it's even better still.
Current Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900A)
Case: Trident Cyclops w/TechMatte HD Clear Screen Protector
Carrier: AT&T
ROM: Stock 4.3, rooted
Kernel: Stock
Int Storage: 32gb
Ext Storage: AData Premiere 64GB UHS-I/Class 10

V@no
Old
Thanks Meter 173
I've played with Skyrocket for 3 weeks and can tell you, it's garbage...for starters the screen is awful, it has very visible at some backgrounds vertical "static" lines all over (image can move, but the lines stay, which makes them extremely visible) and colors are all messed up. All that is probably because of the resolution, which is a joke at modern standards. The battery life was as bad as Nitro (yet, I've been using Nitro for just 30 hours).

Right now on Nitro with rooted stock rom I can do more then I could've done with a custom rom on Skyrocket...Now if I could figure out how to disable that damn lock screen...
The Following User Says Thank You to V@no For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bmxant
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by V@no View Post
I've played with Skyrocket for 3 weeks and can tell you, it's garbage...for starters the screen is awful, it has very visible at some backgrounds vertical "static" lines all over (image can move, but the lines stay, which makes them extremely visible) and colors are all messed up. All that is probably because of the resolution, which is a joke at modern standards. The battery life was as bad as Nitro (yet, I've been using Nitro for just 30 hours).

Right now on Nitro with rooted stock rom I can do more then I could've done with a custom rom on Skyrocket...Now if I could figure out how to disable that damn lock screen...
I agree, I went through 3 SII's before I gave up. I'm only hesitant about grabbing the Nitro because I want the Note, but maybe I should just go for it. It seems to be performing just as good as the Nexus, if not better in some stuff.

What's the reason for all the LG hate? Is it just the device support, or the build quality?

gte460z
Old
Thanks Meter 50

DONATE TO ME
The build quality is excellent, we are just lacking dev support currently.

rsohne
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Root the phone and install Ram Manager from the Market and you wont even know its the same phone.

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte460z View Post
The build quality is excellent, we are just lacking dev support currently.
+1 on the build quality. Where some of the blogs get off on it feeling cheap I just don't get.

gte460z
Old
Thanks Meter 50

DONATE TO ME
Its all Nexus hype which doesn't really make sense to me. The nexus series is supposed to be a development platform, not a top of the line phone...

Anyways, ram manager has made a significant difference with my phone, I absolutely recommend it.

hashhash
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Screen / Hardware is brilliant ,We can root it, download mode has been discovered, all we need is some custom recovery / ROM !

novaIS350
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Just traded in my skyrocket for the nitro. Build quality is not the issue. The issues I've noticed thus far is the lack of optimizations LG has made to Android for this hardware and usability out of the box. There is zero hardware acceleration on the ui and its obvious. The overall sluggishness out of the box is making me second guess my exchange. I'm going to give it a run, but I might be returning this and waiting for the note. PS the screen is pretty sweet though

Sent from my LG-P930 using xda premium
Current Devices:

LG Nexus 4 - PA Stable
Asus Nexus 7 - Stock
Google Chrome Cast
Sony Google TV (NSZ-GT1)
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3: CM10.1 Nightlies
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note: CM10 stable
Asus Transformer Prime: CM10 Nightly
iPhone 4: Stock
Motorola Atrix: Cracked screen + MIUI

dinan
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Yep, you pretty much nailed it. The phone is lacking in overall polish that Samsung adds to their phones. Scrolling is just smoother and there's generally less "jitter" on Samsung phones. Seems finger-tracking is better as well. HTC/LG/Moto/Sony phones all seem to not bother with optimizing their phones - they just insist on bloating it up and using the fastest processor they can.

I think only ICS can really help this phone out because of the hardware acceleration, no ROM will really do much but get rid of some bloat.

If you can get your hands on a GSM Galaxy Nexus I'd recommend that if you want something similar to the Nitro - Ice Cream Sandwich is just in a different league.
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaIS350 View Post
Just traded in my skyrocket for the nitro. Build quality is not the issue. The issues I've noticed thus far is the lack of optimizations LG has made to Android for this hardware and usability out of the box. There is zero hardware acceleration on the ui and its obvious. The overall sluggishness out of the box is making me second guess my exchange. I'm going to give it a run, but I might be returning this and waiting for the note. PS the screen is pretty sweet though

Sent from my LG-P930 using xda premium