5,603,646 Members 36,909 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Icontrolpad and other controllers

Tip us?

psionic11
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
There are several options for connecting a controller remotely to the Note... all excellent for making the Note a portable game console.

I'm still wondering if the iControlPad will support the Note more as a portable Vita or gameboy-in-your-pocket. I want to have a controller in my pocket that I can pull out and snap onto the Note for a mobile game controller experience.

I hesitate on the iControlPad because even if it did fit the Note, seems is would be very top-heavy and almost unplayable. But it does look tempting. Wish a current iControlPad owner with a Galaxy Note would give the up or down on using the iControlPad as a portable game controller or not.

Sixty dollars is a big chunk to throw down on an idea that might not work and might be better served with a $35 SixAxis controller...

beestee
Old
Thanks Meter 70

The iControlPad was originally made to work with the iPhone/iPod...too small to work straight out of the box I think.
Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 (StraightTalk)

gilrad
Old
Thanks Meter 16

DONATE TO ME
"Project Andraxis" is almost ready, I expect to upload it to the 3d printing site sometime in the next few days, at which point there will be around a two week wait (due to the website being behind on orders) before I get to try it out myself. Once I have it uploaded, I'll give other people the chance to give it a try as well, though it will probably take some post-processing to get it to fit perfectly. Oh, and the cost is going to be pretty close to 25 USD to get it printed, minus shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	andraxis-rev0.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	853545  
The Following User Says Thank You to gilrad For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fosselman
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekin View Post
Well think about that for a moment.
A screen register is just a signal sent into the mainframe, sort of like a keystroke.
I think it can be emulated.

For instance, a rooted device with a modified Bluetooth stack and adjusted settings could be made to play well. Hitting X on a DS3 controller could register as a screen tap on 1024, 360 (X, Y coordinate) ... which would trigger the "Heavy Attack" command within the Samurai Vengence II App.

In fact, a screen tap would suffice well. Most games requiring movement/pov, have a virtual D-Pad and don't require any Swiping movement... a tap in the right direction triggers your desire. Android supports multiple screen taps, so hitting multiple gamepad buttons can trigger multiple "screen taps" virtually, so no problems!

And this can be fully mapped and navigated using such exploit. So you wont miss out on anything, all Apps can theoretically be navigated easily using a gamepad.

The only problem is: requires root, compatible bluetooth device, lots of time setting up the X,Y coordinates for each different app (or an ability to download/save them as profiles).

Not sure why you wrote so much, just root your phone and then buy the app. If you have the time to type this much then you have the time to setup profiles.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilrad View Post
"Project Andraxis" is almost ready, I expect to upload it to the 3d printing site sometime in the next few days, at which point there will be around a two week wait (due to the website being behind on orders) before I get to try it out myself. Once I have it uploaded, I'll give other people the chance to give it a try as well, though it will probably take some post-processing to get it to fit perfectly. Oh, and the cost is going to be pretty close to 25 USD to get it printed, minus shipping.
Very cool. Looking forward to buying one.

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousiope View Post
what about regular android games with the ps3 controller

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
You have to setup a profile for each game but you can emulate the buttons using sixaxis.
Current Toys: AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Elocity A7 + Rooted Nook Simple Touch
Past Toys: Cingular 2125, Cingular 8125, HTC Fuze, Tilt 2, Samsung Captivate, International Samsung Galaxy Note

Kangal
Old
Thanks Meter 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilrad View Post
That's awesome.
Since you have experience with 3D computer graphics, can you do a quick mockup of the Note-attached to the holder-attached to the PS3 controller.

I want to see how the shoulder pads are accessible.
How well the joint will perform.
How the clamp attaches at the front to the controller

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosselman View Post
Not sure why you wrote so much, just root your phone and then buy the app. If you have the time to type this much then you have the time to setup profiles.[COLOR="Silver"]

Well its obvious.
It CAN be done. It HAS NOT been done yet.
A post above says that's what the OP/iCPad Team are working on, which would be awesome.
If you HAVE DONE this, can you attach your app so everyone else can enjoy.
Nothing? Didn't think so!
Phase:
1) Nokia 5110 > 3315 > T610
2) LG U8360 + iPaq 2215 > O2 XDA II > iPaq rw6815 > Mitach Mio a702
3) N95 > HTC TyTN II > HTC TouchPro > iPhone 3G
4) DEXT > N900 > SGS > DZ + PlayBook
5) NOTE > NOTE 3

Classic Arsenal:
HTC Desire Z + GameGripper
Android 2.3.7 + MIUI DarkTheme + ItchyThumb

Current Arsenal:
Samsung NOTE 3, 4G, Black
vMOD, Apex, Kii, SwitchR
Matte Kickstand case, Glass Protector, Datel TurboFire2, Belkin Miracast
40GB's of Apps, PSX, N64, GBA, SNES, Sega Games

fosselman
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
That's awesome.
Since you have experience with 3D computer graphics, can you do a quick mockup of the Note-attached to the holder-attached to the PS3 controller.

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

Well its obvious.
It CAN be done. It HAS NOT been done yet.
A post above says that's what the OP/iCPad Team are working on, which would be awesome.
If you HAVE DONE this, can you attach your app so everyone else can enjoy.
Nothing? Didn't think so!
When you originally quoted me it was in reference to the Sixaxis app, which can be found here:
https://market.android.com/details?i...ntroller&hl=en

You can do touch profiles that allow you to use your PS3 controller to do the on screen actions. A thread has been started here with people sharing their profiles.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1426760
Current Toys: AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Elocity A7 + Rooted Nook Simple Touch
Past Toys: Cingular 2125, Cingular 8125, HTC Fuze, Tilt 2, Samsung Captivate, International Samsung Galaxy Note
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fosselman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kangal
Old
Thanks Meter 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosselman View Post
When you originally quoted me it was in reference to the Sixaxis app, which can be found here:
https://market.android.com/details?i...ntroller&hl=en

You can do touch profiles that allow you to use your PS3 controller to do the on screen actions. A thread has been started here with people sharing their profiles.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1426760

Wow, I wasn't informed of this development. I've always used CMod to connect PS3, it doesn't need the App because it uses the AOSP BlueToothStack.
Is this functionality closed, or can others utilize this feature for different wireless gamepads.

I have PS3 controllers, but I think those who dont have a PS3 or have a 360 instead wouldn't want to pay $40+ for it.
The cheap alternatives can sometimes even be better (comfort/battery wise), so people would prefer to purchase those for this reason.
Or even mould a case unto a cheap wireless controller, I know some done that, so this feature would really be useful.
Phase:
5) NOTE > NOTE 3

Classic Arsenal:

Current Arsenal:
vMOD, Apex, Kii, SwitchR

gilrad
Old
Thanks Meter 16

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
That's awesome.

I can give you a basic idea.

The shoulder buttons should be fully accessible, the only areas that might be a bit iffy are the triangle button, and start and select. Triangle might be partially obscured by the phone, and start and select will be surrounded by the cover, and might be a little tough to press. This is minor stuff that can be addressed with a razor and sand paper for the initial release, and modified for future revisions.

The joint is probably going to be rather loose, a limitation of 3d-printing is you need 0.5-0.7mm gaps between parts or they'll fuse together in the printing. Shouldn't be a problem though, I designed it so the bottom portion of the clamps are attached to the body so as long as you have the phone clamped down tight, the hinge should be locked down too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	andraxis-rev0-2.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	854693  
The Following User Says Thank You to gilrad For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kangal
Old
Thanks Meter 151
I wish there was a better quality iControlPad for larger Android devices.
Especially if it can connect through the 3.5mm headset to provide the transmission (saving the need for a battery, and saving the NOTE's battery life for extended play).
Especially if there was native support for it..... damn we need some Heckendorn here!
Phase:
5) NOTE > NOTE 3

Classic Arsenal:

Current Arsenal:
vMOD, Apex, Kii, SwitchR

fosselman
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
I wish there was a better quality iControlPad for larger Android devices.
Especially if it can connect through the 3.5mm headset to provide the transmission (saving the need for a battery, and saving the NOTE's battery life for extended play).
Especially if there was native support for it..... damn we need some Heckendorn here!
I wonder if when this becomes available if you could just buy the controller part.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/11/w...2012-hands-on/

Looks like it plugs in through the mini usb. This is for an 8 inch device so there would quite a bit of room in there.