Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,641 Members 43,916 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW-TO] Amazon App store on your Nook Tablet

Tip us?

SteelH
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,899
Arrow [HOW-TO] Amazon App store on your Nook Tablet

I have seen several posts with people having issues trying to use the Amazon app store or install apps from the Amazon app store on their nook, so I decided to write up this brief guide.

1) You MUST have an SDCard installed BEFORE installing the Amazon app store. The reason for this is that the Amazon app store uses an SDCard to store certain information/cache/etc. While you can can get some things to install without an SDCard, you won't get all your apps to install without one. So if you want to install all your stuff from the Amazon app store, put an SDCard in your Nook FIRST.

2) From your Nook tablet, you can install the Amazon Appstore by typing in the following URL: www.amazon.com/amazonappstoreapp

3) You CAN use the same Amazon app store login on multiple devices. I currently have 2 HTC EVO3D phones and the Nook tablet all using the same login. The advantage of this is that if you (like me) have been grabbing free app of the day for a long time now, you will also have access to these on your Nook tablet.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteelH For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ShinnAsuka
Old
Thanks Meter 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelH View Post
I have seen several posts with people having issues trying to use the Amazon app store or install apps from the Amazon app store on their nook, so I decided to write up this brief guide.

1) You MUST have an SDCard installed BEFORE installing the Amazon app store. The reason for this is that the Amazon app store uses an SDCard to store certain information/cache/etc. While you can can get some things to install without an SDCard, you won't get all your apps to install without one. So if you want to install all your stuff from the Amazon app store, put an SDCard in your Nook FIRST.

2) From your Nook tablet, you can install the Amazon Appstore by typing in the following URL: www.amazon.com/amazonappstoreapp

3) You CAN use the same Amazon app store login on multiple devices. I currently have 2 HTC EVO3D phones and the Nook tablet all using the same login. The advantage of this is that if you (like me) have been grabbing free app of the day for a long time now, you will also have access to these on your Nook tablet.
hey is it possible for an app from the amazon app store to not be compatible with the NT? i think today's free app isn't compatible with the NT because it simply says so when I try to install it...

liquidzoo
Old
Thanks Meter 190
Probably. There are a lot of apps on the normal Android market that aren't compatible with the NT. The difference between them and the free app of the day is that they just don't show up normally. The free app shows up for everyone, since it's part of the "Advertising" section of the store.

ShinnAsuka
Old
Thanks Meter 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidzoo View Post
Probably. There are a lot of apps on the normal Android market that aren't compatible with the NT. The difference between them and the free app of the day is that they just don't show up normally. The free app shows up for everyone, since it's part of the "Advertising" section of the store.
oh ok... didn't know that, oh well... there goes one free app that i can't get... sigh...

baube
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelH View Post
I think I've done this correctly, but let me make sure...

I'm working with a rooted NT.

I uninstalled the amazon app using an uninstaller from the Android market.

I removed the SD card, which was not in there the first time I turned on the NT.

Turned off the NT

Deleted all contents on the SD card and reinserted it.

Turned on the NT

Installed the Amazon App

Signed in

Tried to install a few apps, but keep getting "Unable to install - This application was not able to install onto your device. Please "Archive" and then "Unarchive" the application to try again.

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

winsettr
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by baube View Post
Tried to install a few apps, but keep getting "Unable to install - This application was not able to install onto your device. Please "Archive" and then "Unarchive" the application to try again.

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this?

Thanks!
This is what happens when you try to install a non-Nook app using the BN App Installer instead of the Android Package Installer. You need to navigate to the Manage Applications menu (get to it from NT Hidden Settings app, or the applications menu of ADW or Zeam, or any other possible way) and find App Installer. Click on it and then click the button that says "clear defaults." This should bring up a menu next time you install an app where you will choose to install with Package Installer, and set this as default. You should be good to go from there on (unless you try to install an app that is not designed for tablets/NT as indicated above).

baube
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by winsettr View Post
This should bring up a menu next time you install an app where you will choose to install with Package Installer, and set this as default. You should be good to go from there on (unless you try to install an app that is not designed for tablets/NT as indicated above).
Thank you for the assistance!

When I went there, no defaults were set. I went back to install an app and I still get the same error message, but originally I wasn't specific enough and left out this step:

I get a popup menu when I choose to install or reinstall an app and it asks me:

Complete action using - App Installer or Package installer.

If I choose app installer, I get the error mentioned. If I choose package installer, I get Parse error - There is a problem parsing the package.

xdahgary
Old
Thanks Meter 104

DONATE TO ME
remove sd card and put back in.
remove sd card and reboot and put back in.
it's something to do with the sd card.

winsettr
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Package Installer is what you should be using. From my experience, 'parsing error' has meant that the app is not compatible with the NT. So far these have included BeWeather, multiple games from Gameloft, and a drawing pad app from Amazon.

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk

baube
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by winsettr View Post
Package Installer is what you should be using. From my experience, 'parsing error' has meant that the app is not compatible with the NT. So far these have included BeWeather, multiple games from Gameloft, and a drawing pad app from Amazon.
Do you have a free app you've installed via the Amazon App I can try out on my side?

Tags
amazon, amazon app store, app store