Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[HOW-TO] Amazon App store on your Nook Tablet

OP SteelH

21st December 2011, 03:11 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,899
 
2,954 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
I have seen several posts with people having issues trying to use the Amazon app store or install apps from the Amazon app store on their nook, so I decided to write up this brief guide.

1) You MUST have an SDCard installed BEFORE installing the Amazon app store. The reason for this is that the Amazon app store uses an SDCard to store certain information/cache/etc. While you can can get some things to install without an SDCard, you won't get all your apps to install without one. So if you want to install all your stuff from the Amazon app store, put an SDCard in your Nook FIRST.

2) From your Nook tablet, you can install the Amazon Appstore by typing in the following URL: www.amazon.com/amazonappstoreapp

3) You CAN use the same Amazon app store login on multiple devices. I currently have 2 HTC EVO3D phones and the Nook tablet all using the same login. The advantage of this is that if you (like me) have been grabbing free app of the day for a long time now, you will also have access to these on your Nook tablet.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteelH For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st December 2011, 08:39 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 139
 
704 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelH

I have seen several posts with people having issues trying to use the Amazon app store or install apps from the Amazon app store on their nook, so I decided to write up this brief guide.

1) You MUST have an SDCard installed BEFORE installing the Amazon app store. The reason for this is that the Amazon app store uses an SDCard to store certain information/cache/etc. While you can can get some things to install without an SDCard, you won't get all your apps to install without one. So if you want to install all your stuff from the Amazon app store, put an SDCard in your Nook FIRST.

2) From your Nook tablet, you can install the Amazon Appstore by typing in the following URL: www.amazon.com/amazonappstoreapp

3) You CAN use the same Amazon app store login on multiple devices. I currently have 2 HTC EVO3D phones and the Nook tablet all using the same login. The advantage of this is that if you (like me) have been grabbing free app of the day for a long time now, you will also have access to these on your Nook tablet.

hey is it possible for an app from the amazon app store to not be compatible with the NT? i think today's free app isn't compatible with the NT because it simply says so when I try to install it...
21st December 2011, 09:06 PM   |  #3  
liquidzoo's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Florence, AZ
Thanks Meter: 190
 
910 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
Probably. There are a lot of apps on the normal Android market that aren't compatible with the NT. The difference between them and the free app of the day is that they just don't show up normally. The free app shows up for everyone, since it's part of the "Advertising" section of the store.
21st December 2011, 09:09 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 139
 
704 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidzoo

Probably. There are a lot of apps on the normal Android market that aren't compatible with the NT. The difference between them and the free app of the day is that they just don't show up normally. The free app shows up for everyone, since it's part of the "Advertising" section of the store.

oh ok... didn't know that, oh well... there goes one free app that i can't get... sigh...
22nd December 2011, 12:12 AM   |  #5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelH

I have seen several posts with people having issues trying to use the Amazon app store or install apps from the Amazon app store on their nook, so I decided to write up this brief guide.

I think I've done this correctly, but let me make sure...

I'm working with a rooted NT.

I uninstalled the amazon app using an uninstaller from the Android market.

I removed the SD card, which was not in there the first time I turned on the NT.

Turned off the NT

Deleted all contents on the SD card and reinserted it.

Turned on the NT

Installed the Amazon App

Signed in

Tried to install a few apps, but keep getting "Unable to install - This application was not able to install onto your device. Please "Archive" and then "Unarchive" the application to try again.

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this?

Thanks!
22nd December 2011, 12:39 AM   |  #6  
winsettr's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 64
 
371 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by baube

Tried to install a few apps, but keep getting "Unable to install - This application was not able to install onto your device. Please "Archive" and then "Unarchive" the application to try again.

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

This is what happens when you try to install a non-Nook app using the BN App Installer instead of the Android Package Installer. You need to navigate to the Manage Applications menu (get to it from NT Hidden Settings app, or the applications menu of ADW or Zeam, or any other possible way) and find App Installer. Click on it and then click the button that says "clear defaults." This should bring up a menu next time you install an app where you will choose to install with Package Installer, and set this as default. You should be good to go from there on (unless you try to install an app that is not designed for tablets/NT as indicated above).
22nd December 2011, 12:56 AM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by winsettr

This should bring up a menu next time you install an app where you will choose to install with Package Installer, and set this as default. You should be good to go from there on (unless you try to install an app that is not designed for tablets/NT as indicated above).

Thank you for the assistance!

When I went there, no defaults were set. I went back to install an app and I still get the same error message, but originally I wasn't specific enough and left out this step:

I get a popup menu when I choose to install or reinstall an app and it asks me:

Complete action using - App Installer or Package installer.

If I choose app installer, I get the error mentioned. If I choose package installer, I get Parse error - There is a problem parsing the package.
22nd December 2011, 01:05 AM   |  #8  
xdahgary's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 104
 
894 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Donate to Me
More
remove sd card and put back in.
remove sd card and reboot and put back in.
it's something to do with the sd card.
22nd December 2011, 01:16 AM   |  #9  
winsettr's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 64
 
371 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Package Installer is what you should be using. From my experience, 'parsing error' has meant that the app is not compatible with the NT. So far these have included BeWeather, multiple games from Gameloft, and a drawing pad app from Amazon.

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk
22nd December 2011, 01:53 AM   |  #10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by winsettr

Package Installer is what you should be using. From my experience, 'parsing error' has meant that the app is not compatible with the NT. So far these have included BeWeather, multiple games from Gameloft, and a drawing pad app from Amazon.

Do you have a free app you've installed via the Amazon App I can try out on my side?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
amazon, amazon app store, app store
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes