Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,363 Members 43,475 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: GPS working for you?
Yes 101 29.53%
No 241 70.47%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

GPS (possible issue)

Tip us?

unknown_owner
Old
(Last edited by unknown_owner; 2nd January 2012 at 07:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
Ok guys, here's a small update of my experience. As instructed by Asus support, I manually reinstalled the 8.8.3.29 update from SD. After that, my ability to obtain a fix has GREATLY increased. The signal acquisition was definitely faster and reception quality also seemed a bit better (up around 5 points on GPS Test SNR scale, now reporting a maximum value of 32).
Accuracy was still pumping quite a bit, but it was way more accurate than before and actually somewhat usable.
HOWEVER the bizarre thing was Google Maps was NOT USING the GPS at all when WiFi was switched off, totally retarded. Switching between GM and GPS Test was really bizarre, GPS Test reporting a solid fix (solid for the Prime, otherwise mediocre) of 6 sats and an accuracy of 30-50m (while driving), while GM put me squaredly at my home address of its last known WiFi location.
Curious what the 8.8.3.33 update tomorrow will bring will bring...
So to update manually on top of the same firmware you have to do what?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

Matthew Carson
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
Ok guys, here's a small update of my experience. As instructed by Asus support, I manually reinstalled the 8.8.3.29 update from SD. After that, my ability to obtain a fix has GREATLY increased. The signal acquisition was definitely faster and reception quality also seemed a bit better (up around 5 points on GPS Test SNR scale, now reporting a maximum value of 32).
Accuracy was still pumping quite a bit, but it was way more accurate than before and actually somewhat usable.
HOWEVER the bizarre thing was Google Maps was NOT USING the GPS at all when WiFi was switched off, totally retarded. Switching between GM and GPS Test was really bizarre, GPS Test reporting a solid fix (solid for the Prime, otherwise mediocre) of 6 sats and an accuracy of 30-50m (while driving), while GM put me squaredly at my home address of its last known WiFi location.
Curious what the 8.8.3.33 update tomorrow will bring will bring...
That's odd, I was just going to post that same thing about Google Maps, but this is with the new 8.8.3.33. I just went to pick the kid up from school, and I let the Prime sit in the car for 15 minutes before I left, still connected to my home WiFi. It got a fix with 7 sats (seeing 9). As I got farther from home it started losing them. It lost the fix quickly, but still seemed to see around 4 sats the whole way. When I got to his school, I enabled the hotspot on my phone. While I was sitting there, it got a fix again (not sure if it was the stationary time or the WiFi). I left it connected to the hotspot and drove away, and it seemed to keep a fix on 4-6 sats with an accuracy around 100 in GPS Test. At this point I switched over to Google Maps to see what it showed, and it still showed me at the school! So it was showing I had a fix while I was moving, but didn't show me correctly on the map.

Now there was one other odd thing. I was playing back and forth with GPS Essentials and GPS Test. On the trip over I was using GPS Essentials and on the way back GPS Test. However, when I got home I switched from GPS Test back to GPS Essentials. It took a minute or so to show a lock in GPS Essentials, but when it did Google Maps did finally update. Is there a difference between what the two programs are showing? It almost seems that GPS Essentials is more correctly corresponding to what Google Maps sees.

Lock-N-Load
Old
Thanks Meter 268
Man I am pissed, that new update really hosed my GPS worse than it was.. I can no longer replicate the solid results I was getting prior to the update. F***

gruntguy
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I have an hour and a half long train journey tomorrow so I'm going to use that to see how well my GPS can hold a lock while on the move. I usually use my Dell Streak 5 on this journey to keep track of my location (and it does so pretty well), so I'll have something to compare against tomorrow. While there's usually WiFi on board the train, I'll test without it.
If this works, I will be a very very happy man.

wynand32
Old
Thanks Meter 419
It's funny, but just for kicks I pulled out my OG Transformer and tested it alongside the Prime. I couldn't get the Transformer to lock onto GPS at all, while the Prime did (slowly and with wifi on, but it locked). Then I tried my wife's Samsung GT 10.1, and it locked immediately and maintained lock with wifi off.

I don't remember ever using GPS with my Transformer, and so I can't verify that it ever worked. Does anyone else have a Transformer and can test GPS on it to see if maybe this isn't a general ASUS problem?

gruntguy
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
It's funny, but just for kicks I pulled out my OG Transformer and tested it alongside the Prime. I couldn't get the Transformer to lock onto GPS at all, while the Prime did (slowly and with wifi on, but it locked). Then I tried my wife's Samsung GT 10.1, and it locked immediately and maintained lock with wifi off.

I don't remember ever using GPS with my Transformer, and so I can't verify that it ever worked. Does anyone else have a Transformer and can test GPS on it to see if maybe this isn't a general ASUS problem?
While I don't have a TF101, one of my friends does and when I was talking to him about the GPS issues of the Prime he told me that the GPS on his TF101 was not that good either, and usually took about 5 minutes to get a lock when he was out and about.

PrimeTimeBro
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
The evidence pointing to the metal back cover

4) There were numerous posts from people (not JDbaker82) that obviously knew what they were talking about who were pretty confident the metal back played a role. There were articles about GPS signals being sensitive and discussion of the Faraday box effect which seemed logical.
I think Jdbaker82s reasoning that he thought it was the aluminum backing made sense that regular Wi-Fi range was less with the Prime then other Wi-Fi devices which proves something is degrading the signals.

stelek
Old
(Last edited by stelek; 2nd January 2012 at 08:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
I bought the original Transformer two days ago. I was waiting for Prime but this thread made me cancel my pre-order. I tested the GPS in my brand new Transformer TF101 today and it takes less than 10 seconds to get a lock (with pre-loaded aGPS data). The signal strength is not very good but it's locking to most of the visible satellites and does not lose the signal when moving... Of course I do not get any satellites when indoors but my Garmin 60CSx behaves exactly the same so it's OK in my opinion...

shinzz
Old
Thanks Meter 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Carson View Post
That's odd, I was just going to post that same thing about Google Maps, but this is with the new 8.8.3.33. I just went to pick the kid up from school, and I let the Prime sit in the car for 15 minutes before I left, still connected to my home WiFi. It got a fix with 7 sats (seeing 9). As I got farther from home it started losing them. It lost the fix quickly, but still seemed to see around 4 sats the whole way. When I got to his school, I enabled the hotspot on my phone. While I was sitting there, it got a fix again (not sure if it was the stationary time or the WiFi). I left it connected to the hotspot and drove away, and it seemed to keep a fix on 4-6 sats with an accuracy around 100 in GPS Test. At this point I switched over to Google Maps to see what it showed, and it still showed me at the school! So it was showing I had a fix while I was moving, but didn't show me correctly on the map.

Now there was one other odd thing. I was playing back and forth with GPS Essentials and GPS Test. On the trip over I was using GPS Essentials and on the way back GPS Test. However, when I got home I switched from GPS Test back to GPS Essentials. It took a minute or so to show a lock in GPS Essentials, but when it did Google Maps did finally update. Is there a difference between what the two programs are showing? It almost seems that GPS Essentials is more correctly corresponding to what Google Maps sees.
Latest update automatically turns on WIFI with GPS. It means, you are getting satellite lock with the help of WIFI at stationary location, or WIFI hotspot, or through tethered connection.

Matthew Carson
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinzz View Post
Latest update automatically turns on WIFI with GPS. It means, you are getting satellite lock with the help of WIFI at stationary location, or WIFI hotspot, or through tethered connection.
That doesn't really make any sense. If you are getting a satellite lock it is from satellites, not from WiFi. GPS Test doesn't have anything to do with WiFi, and it was showing a lock, though the position wasn't updated in Google Maps.

There are two uses for WiFi in locating your device:

1) Download aGPS data. This just "initializes" the GPS receiver to know which satellites to look for. It still has to see and track the satellites to get a fix.

2) Locate you based on the access point you are connected to. If I understand this correctly it is based on Google's mapping of access points / MAC addresses. Doesn't really work tethered since it's moving.

-Matt

Tags
gps, transformer prime