Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,344 Members 46,524 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: GPS working for you?
Yes 101 29.53%
No 241 70.47%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

GPS (possible issue)

Tip us?

demandarin
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by BixBix78 View Post
Asus revised spec page for prime
GPS-yes (as long as you're not moving under a clear moonlite sky at elevations above 5000 feet)
slick bastards. they trying to cover their !#& now..lol. so they can always say it was listed on their site. I wonder if this follows under false advertisement? I love by Prime but would love to make Asus sweat n compensate all of us original owners with keyboard docks n such for the misunderstanding and inconvience we are experiencing.

IPAD- 32GB WiFi ver. 4.2.1

Transformer Prime 32GB(Retired)

NEXUS 7 16gb Unlocked & Rooted JB 4.3 CleanRom 4.0 Faux Kernel

Galaxy Note 10.1 32gb- Hyperdrive Rom w/ Zeus kernel AMAZING!

Samsung Galaxy SIII - JB 4.1.2

Lg Optimus G Pro- new 1080P 5.5in. Display w/Snapdragon 600 Andreno 320

Microsoft Surface Pro 128gb. Full HD Display 1080P Windows 8 HD4000 Graphics Type Cover

Prime/Tegra3 Gamers Thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1409077

n11
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgawelek View Post
I have an RMA number in hand. Then I emailed them asking if they thought this was a firmware or a hardware issue.

Just got this from asus email support
================================
Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
The ASUS Transformer Prime is made from a metallic unibody design, so the material may affect the performance of the GPS when receiving signals from satellites.
Please note that this product is not a professional GPS device and signal performance can be easily influenced by factors including, but not limited to: weather, buildings and your surrounding environment.
Please understand there are some limitations when using the GPS function.

Some scenarios you may encounter when experiencing weak GPS performance:
1. Using the GPS while traveling in a car: The roof of a car, the insulation, bridges and other factors can affect signal reception.
2. High density areas with large buildings and structures that can block line of sight communication with GPS satellites.

For more information feel free to refer to our self-help pages by clicking
the links below:
Troubleshooting -[asus url]
FAQ - [asus url]
Live Support - [asus url]

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate
to contact us.

Best Regards,

Jerry

ASUS Customer Service
================================

My iphone and my friends atrix will find a GPS signal within 5 seconds of putting our phones near a windows. Those too are not professional GPS devices.
I think this thread needs to take a different direction now based on the Asus GPS response. There is not much question at this point that the TF201 GPS is working technically but is almost useless from a practical standpoint. You can't get in your car, tether to a cell phone, use Google navigation, and expect the GPS in the TF201 to get you to your destination. The TF201 is advertised as having GPS...from a practical standpoint it does NOT have GPS. I realize that if I'm standing in an open field and want to know where I am then the TF201 will assist me (if I hold the screen up like I'm worshiping the GPS sats). We need to let Asus know that this limited usability is not sufficient to market the TF201 as having GPS.

I believe these are the main points:
  • TF201 is marketed as having GPS
  • GPS works only in a technical sense
  • GPS does not work in a practical sense (i.e. in a car)
  • If you (like I did) planned on using GPS in a practical sense then you have been mislead by Asus
  • We would like Asus to provide a solution so there is real GPS (firmware, replacement plastic back, etc.)
At this point there is no sense in continuing to debate whether GPS works...it doesn't work for what is considered normal GPS use.
Thanks to all those who have contributed to this epic thread...very useful.

tylermaciaszek
Old
Thanks Meter 264
heres the article if you care to read and share to get the issue out so asus will do something and don't think im trying to shamelessly advertise the blog site i write for i just want the issue to get out.

Article
Don't forget to thank me if I say something helpful

If you're gonna troll, at least be good at it.

BixBix78
Old
Thanks Meter 30
#Asusgate

Too bad a took a screenshot last night

Oh yeah I just checked the spec page for the prime and Asus has removed GPS off sensor row.

http://usa.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_...specifications

RussianMenace
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylermaciaszek View Post
heres the article if you care to read and share to get the issue out so asus will do something and don't think im trying to shamelessly advertise the blog site i write for i just want the issue to get out.

Article
Personal blogs are fine and all. But what we really need are the big boys (Engadget,cnet,anantech,AC,etc.) getting the word out...put some pressure on Asus.
Are you new to XDA?
Did someone help you? Did they answer your question? If so, THANK THEM!
-#-#- Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Some JB ROM -#-#-

Magnesus
Old
Thanks Meter 101
As far as I know Google doesn't allow Android Market and other of their applications on devices without GPS.

tylermaciaszek
Old
Thanks Meter 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianMenace View Post
Personal blogs are fine and all. But what we really need are the big boys (Engadget,cnet,anantech,AC,etc.) getting the word out...put some pressure on Asus.
we have quite a large following to be honest over 1 million hits a month and growing every month we are certainly not a personal blog and have a full writing team and a full team of manufacturers who send us devices

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BixBix78 View Post
#Asusgate

Too bad a took a screenshot last night

Oh yeah I just checked the spec page for the prime and Asus has removed GPS off sensor row.

http://usa.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_...specifications

do i have permission to use this pictures on my site?

tshoulihane
Old
Thanks Meter 79
You need to remember that these customer service people have very little technical support - and are as likely to be quoting back things they read here as anything else. Yes, maybe the metal back doesn't help - but the problems people are having seem more go/no go than just bad signals.

We already know that most of the people on this thread are not inclined to be very technical in their investigations - trying to stir up press at this point is unlikely to be productive.

My SGS 2 has really poor GPS performance some of the time - it seems to have a state where it doesn't ever lock (just flashes up a few says detected then drops them), so software issues are perfectly possible - as are simple things like the antenna being incorrectly connected. You don't think they ever tested the GPS performance in the final caseworks?
HTC M8, SGS3 (nearly dead eMMC), TF201, Nook touch

BixBix78
Old
(Last edited by BixBix78; 30th December 2011 at 02:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 30
tylermaciaszek Yes, Please do.

---------- Post added at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

Why is gps removed off the sensor row overnight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshoulihane View Post
You need to remember that these customer service people have very little technical support - and are as likely to be quoting back things they read here as anything else. Yes, maybe the metal back doesn't help - but the problems people are having seem more go/no go than just bad signals.

We already know that most of the people on this thread are not inclined to be very technical in their investigations - trying to stir up press at this point is unlikely to be productive.

My SGS 2 has really poor GPS performance some of the time - it seems to have a state where it doesn't ever lock (just flashes up a few says detected then drops them), so software issues are perfectly possible - as are simple things like the antenna being incorrectly connected. You don't think they ever tested the GPS performance in the final caseworks?

tylermaciaszek
Old
Thanks Meter 264
thank you i gave you credit in the article and linked to your profile so you can have correct credit. Good catch

Tags
gps, transformer prime