Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,988 Members 53,428 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: GPS working for you?
Yes 101 29.53%
No 241 70.47%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

GPS (possible issue)

Tip us?

TalynOne
Old
Thanks Meter 33
The status of 64gb Prime shipment from Amazon was Jan 25th-30th, but all of sudden this morning I got notification it was shipped and arrives today. It's in my hands now. First time I logged into market I got a firmware update notification, I ran it and then ran google maps, got a instant lock (within 20m). My Wifi is on, will test more later.

Magnesus
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalynOne View Post
First time I logged into market I got a firmware update notification, I ran it and then ran google maps, got a instant lock (within 20m). My Wifi is on, will test more later.
As was said many times that kind of information means nothing. Why? Because:
1) It could be lock from router location (WiFi, not GPS),
2) Even if you get lock many people report that they lost it when moving the device (so couldn't use as car navigation).

In the thread I linked somewhere before it was mentioned that such behaviour can be caused by (software) problem with timers.

Lock-N-Load
Old
Thanks Meter 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwings2008 View Post
You don't need to root to install the app. You only need root to change the server which I'm not asking you to do. Simply install the app, open it and tell me the ntp server it is connected too. Close app and then uninstall. No root required!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App
The app description says root.. so, it was fair to think one needs root to install

Anyway, I installed it - and I have been able to get good results with my GPS as you can read earlier in both in and outdoor tests off cold boot - and mine says "Current Server:TextView" without root, you can get no other info. There are no settings. Just what is on the main screen.

What does your say if you think it matters?

silverwings2008
Old
(Last edited by silverwings2008; 31st December 2011 at 12:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 24
Mine says the same, but mine is not working! I was kind of hoping yours had a ntp server address.

Thanks for looking. It would be nice to get to the bottom of the problem.

smrsxn
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwings2008 View Post
You don't need to root to install the app. You only need root to change the server which I'm not asking you to do. Simply install the app, open it and tell me the ntp server it is connected too. Close app and then uninstall. No root required!

says textview.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

kennyog
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default found this

Cant post link because im too new a member, but found this on android forum.

Quote:
Also just got off the phone with the ASUS Engineering department and they are aware that the backing is whats causing the issue with the GPS signal I finally got to speak with an engineer after jumping through 100 hoops and explaining to them that I disassembled one of the Primes and it locked onto a GPS signal and navigated from point A to point B with no problems with the backing off of it. Regular reps at ASUS have been told to hush hush and are not allowed to say anything lets see if ASUS comes out and publically admits the problem anytime soon.

aldrouin
Old
(Last edited by aldrouin; 31st December 2011 at 01:51 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
So I have been told that my test wasn't valid because it was done inside a house in the window. So I wen't out in the cold at night and made another video of the transformer prime against my wife's LG Optimus One.

You can see I am *not* getting any experience at making short youtube clips, but yeah, I'm just trying to share my experience.

Here we go :

I guess I should plan things a little bit more. But for now that works.

What do you guys think ??

*edit* : And yeah I'm stumbling every two words, it's quite cold over here and I didn't think that through. It's weird when you annoy yourself over a youtube video... Sorry about that guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to aldrouin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tylermaciaszek
Old
Thanks Meter 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldrouin View Post
So I have been told that my test wasn't valid because it was done inside a house in the window. So I wen't out in the cold at night and made another video of the transformer prime against my wife's LG Optimus One.

You can see I am *not* getting any experience at making short youtube clips, but yeah, I'm just trying to share my experience.

Here we go :

I guess I should plan things a little bit more. But for now that works.

What do you guys think ??

*edit* : And yeah I'm stumbling every two words, it's quite cold over here and I didn't think that through. It's weird when you annoy yourself over a youtube video... Sorry about that guys.
good video thanks but how does yours boot up so fast mine is like 2 minutes
Don't forget to thank me if I say something helpful

If you're gonna troll, at least be good at it.

aldrouin
Old
Thanks Meter 1
There is nothing on it right now, just did a wipe today again. There is no other app than what comes with the device and GPS test, no micro-sdhc card, every wireless functionality was turned off except for GPS.

I just did a test for the GPS, nothing more. I'm not ready to start using it fully since I'm either sending it back to tigerdirect or sending it to asus (if they man up and tell us they are going to fix their mistake).

tdp252
Old
(Last edited by tdp252; 31st December 2011 at 02:49 AM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Default Strange observation

Guys I just noticed something strange. Isn't correct time down to the micro-second required for proper GPS functionality? My Windows desktop is configured to update it's time from, "time-a.nist.gov". I watched the clock and noticed that the tablet rolled over it's minutes about 2 seconds before my desktop.

If both devices were properly updating time I would have expected to see the time change occur simultaneously.

Could it be that this entire issue is because the tablet is not correctly updating time from an atomic source? (I have the prime setup to do so)

Tags
gps, transformer prime