Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

GPS (possible issue)

Tip us?

n11
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloster View Post
An Acer Iconia A500 user, paying attention to the Prime but didn't read all the posts.

Many Iconia A500 devices have issues with GPS too. It took long time to find and fix with GPS status. After replacing the sock gps.conf with a new gps.conf, it takes less than 10 seconds to fix 6 satellites (my case). I am wondering if this would work for the Prime. See detail in the following link.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1152318.

Good luck,
Would that require root?

RussianMenace
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloster View Post
An Acer Iconia A500 user, paying attention to the Prime but didn't read all the posts.

Many Iconia A500 devices have issues with GPS too. It took long time to find and fix with GPS status. After replacing the sock gps.conf with a new gps.conf, it takes less than 10 seconds to fix 6 satellites (my case). I am wondering if this would work for the Prime. See detail in the following link.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1152318.

Good luck,
Needs root
Are you new to XDA?
Did someone help you? Did they answer your question? If so, THANK THEM!
-#-#- Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Some JB ROM -#-#-

Alloster
Old
Thanks Meter 1
It worked with my unrooted device. I used ES File Explorer to copy and paste the file, and was told that the paste was failed. But surprisingly, it worked.

PrimeTimeBro
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Any rich people have a prime that can rip the backplate off and test the GPS

tch098
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have both Asus 101 and 201 and both on the lastest updated i tested both using GPStest and the 201 took 4 times as long to get gps working and finding the signal and the 201 found fewer signals but it works. I assume there are some units out there that are not working but that will be the ame with all tablets and I am sure that Asus will fix the problem.

rdalev
Old
Thanks Meter 19
1. Can't believe someone at the Asus factory didn't walk outside and try the GPS on the Prime before giving it the thumbs up !

2. I do believe Asus should fix this issue on future Primes by placing a small piece of plastic, that looks amazingly like brushed aluminum, over the affected area !

3. That Asus should issue every current Prime owner an expedited RMA to replace the current cover with the new one that has the "piece of plastic that looks amazingly like brushed aluminum over the affected area" cover OR issue $100.00 rebates to all current owners to keep the peace !

Didn't really purchase mine for the GPS features, but then again I did pay for it !

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
It also wouldn't be the first time a tech support agent made a statement and didn't know what the F they were talking about. Have you ever called Sprint tech support?

Not saying "Jerry" was right or wrong, just saying it may or may not constitute Asus' "official" position.
"Jerry's" real name is probably Nimish and he makes about $2 an hour in an Indian call center. Jerry/Nimish most likely has never seen an Asus product except in pictures. He works for an outsourced call center and anything Jerry/Nimish says is from a script or boiler plate provided to him by Asus. Jerry/Nimish's previous script prior to the GPS reference being pulled off the website(s) told him to say "turn on Wi-Fi" and if that didn't work "hard reset." Someone way higher in the food chain put new words in Jerry/Nimish's mouth.

Sokonomi
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I was (perhaps foolishly) depending on GPS working on the prime since my old tomtom died centuries ago.
I do still have the old (slow as jesus, 4Mhz or something) bluetooth GPS mouse laying around though,
but for 830 dollars (thats what we pay in europe) I was kinda expecting everything to be all good 'n dandy.

If only someone was brave/foolish enough to get that backplate off and give it a go,
wed all know where we stand with the whole GPS problem supposedly caused by the backplate.
If its still garbage with the backplate off, someones got some explaining to do.

Ciddy
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Default My final "testing" experience.

Ok, another GPS experience today after the early afternoon garden wait with 8 minutes of "sats in view" and no lock; Early evening I jump in my car to drive across town to my Dad, switch on the Prime, it still has like a micron of Wifi and the second i switch on GPS test, I get a lock on 6 sats. So I think "whoa?!?" and start the navigation, and then start driving. 150 meters down the road, the lock is lost, only to be regained every 30s or so. Occasionally it kept the lock, but the accuracy circle kept pumping like a champ every second. On the way back (general direction north) on the 5 km drive I only got a lock once or twice for a few seconds. Then, however, it was amazingly accurate.

So my sum up for today and this being my final "tests" (as was said:"waste of time") - waited 8 minutes for a lock while standing in the garden with no fix, hopped in my car got an instant fix and it was bearable for navigation, not really dependable on that one drive. On the way back it was unusable.

My next step is to decide how badly I want to use the GPS functions and based on that to return it or not if there is no news til saturday. Because it's still an awesome device... Oh, dang!

vbman213
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Not sure if this has been posted yet:

http://www.wirelessgoodness.com/2011...red/?nggpage=2

Includes some nice pictures of the Prime's logic board and various assemblies.

The Following User Says Thank You to vbman213 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
gps, transformer prime