OP Indirect

22nd December 2011, 10:21 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 2,960

2,323 posts
Donate to Me
More
Mine only says "Unavailable" because I skipped out of box experience and didnt register to test this. :| yours will still have your email and everything linked so dont worry!

Alright, I'm going to start off with saying that what this does is turn off FOTA for you by modifying data for devicemanager. How do you do it?

Well, let's begin.

12/22/11: New tweaks, FOTA checkin timer = 0 (no checks anymore), Build key difference, FOTA mode = disabled and a few other FOTA tweaks.

First: Download the files unzip them, and put all 3 into the TitaniumBackup folder on your sdcard (you need to download Titanium backup from market for this just FYI).

Then start titanium backup, grant root if you havent already and restore "DeviceManagerService 2.3.4" and then poof! You have now blocked OTA's. I'll actually try and make this happen in my script so new people can do it but you can tell if it worked by going into settings>about my nook>Version Number:9.9.9

Download link?:
here

FAQ
Will this stop me from buying anything from B&N?
NO! You will keep everything and the ability to buy. This does nothing to the services aside from makes a few minor SQL tweaks that affect the devices ability to OTA.
Can this break my device?
No! This process actually holds no risk. It should always work no matter what and since we caught it early on, we can prevent further updates that can fix this.
Are you awesome Indirect?
Yes, yes I am. Now enjoy all the crap I released for you guys

Last edited by Indirect; 23rd December 2011 at 03:57 AM.
The Following 70 Users Say Thank You to Indirect For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd December 2011, 12:48 PM   |  #2  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 10

180 posts
More
Thank you for your work Now, does this block any and all interaction with B&N servers (in case I(or anyone else) want to actually purchase a book or app from B&N) or just prevents receiving/installing the update? Also, will it prevent future updates or is it just coded for 1.4.1?

Completed. Thank you again . My best friend is a Nook "lead" at B&N and she is getting a kick out of our shenanigans. She actually gave it to me as an X-mas present. So thank you again for your work on the Tablet. I (we) look forward to more of your adventures in Nookdom. hehehe
Last edited by tep065; 23rd December 2011 at 01:30 AM.
22nd December 2011, 01:25 PM   |  #3  
Flag Florida

2,323 posts
Donate to Me
More
It just stops the ota's.....

Sent by breaking the sound barrier
22nd December 2011, 01:31 PM   |  #4  
Flag Dallas Area
Thanks Meter: 44

273 posts
More
So does the sqllite method not work? I used that method 2 days ago, and so far haven't received an update (knock on wood).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=946969
22nd December 2011, 01:44 PM   |  #5  
Flag Florida

2,323 posts
Donate to Me
More
This is the sqlite method just provides you with files to download and install...this really isn't that complicated. -.- versus having to actually modify the SQL on the device, its already done for you. Just trust it works, install, and ignore everyone bitching about updates. Now I'm going back to bed before someone crosses me by asking a stupid question.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Indirect For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd December 2011, 02:12 PM   |  #6  
Flag Dallas Area
Thanks Meter: 44

273 posts
More
Indirect, if nobody has told you lately, thanks for all of your hard work toward making the NT an unrestricted tablet.
22nd December 2011, 02:23 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 6

97 posts
Restored your files and mine says version not availablr, not 9.9.9

Is something wrong?

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk
22nd December 2011, 02:51 PM   |  #8  
Flag Florida

2,323 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hmm, try redownloading.

22nd December 2011, 02:59 PM   |  #9  
Flag Connecticut
Thanks Meter: 317

1,049 posts
Thanks a lot, really appreciate this. My girlfriend is getting a NT for Christmas and I want her to handle the tinkering and guides like these will be of great help to her.

Just a couple questions. Does this work because the OTA updates check to see if you are on a lower version than what is put out (thus the 9.9.9)?

Also, just to clarify, when you said you want to put this into your script, you mean the rooting method you have posted?

Thanks again for all your work. I know B&N hasn't made this stuff easy but I personally think part of the fun is having to outsmart them
22nd December 2011, 03:01 PM   |  #10  
Flag Florida

2,323 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanluke88

Thanks a lot, really appreciate this. My girlfriend is getting a NT for Christmas and I want her to handle the tinkering and guides like these will be of great help to her.

Just a couple questions. Does this work because the OTA updates check to see if you are on a lower version than what is put out (thus the 9.9.9)?

Also, just to clarify, when you said you want to put this into your script, you mean the rooting method you have posted?

Thanks again for all your work. I know B&N hasn't made this stuff easy but I personally think part of the fun is having to outsmart them

1) As I havent received notification of update yet, I don't know if they check version but it should if their recovery isnt crap however this has the FOTA check disabled so it should not even attempt to update it.

2)I meant my rooting script, yes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Indirect For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread