OP tspx23

4th January 2012, 09:24 PM   |  #21  
Flag Monterrey
Thanks Meter: 44

363 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by newshook

Will loading XT883 radio undo the wifi-hotspot hack?

Most likely but i dont know
But when you do the hack you edit radio with radiocomm so i assume you would have to redo hack (dont know if it works with chinesse rom)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
4th January 2012, 11:39 PM   |  #22  
Flag Vantucky
Thanks Meter: 23

118 posts
More
I can't say for sure, but if you were to attempt this, I'd suggest trying it and letting us know your results :) if the wifi hotspot hack replaces the radio.img, it might be that you'll just have to pick one or the other to work with. Maybe finding a way to edit the xt883 radio.img with whatever the other hack includes could work?

Sent while mobile using Tapatalk.
The Following User Says Thank You to BenSWoodruff For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th January 2012, 03:21 AM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 57

864 posts
More
i need help asap plz!!!!
Last edited by ericerk; 6th January 2012 at 04:52 AM.
6th January 2012, 05:26 AM   |  #24  
Flag Vantucky

118 posts
More
Care to explain your issue?

The Following User Says Thank You to BenSWoodruff For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th January 2012, 07:15 AM   |  #25  
Flag Monterrey
Thanks Meter: 44

363 posts
More
Help with?

7th January 2012, 03:15 AM   |  #26  

864 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gierso

Help with?

Unlocking, i did everything, yet it still won't unlock / let me use tmobile sim i have no bars with crossed out circle
7th January 2012, 03:57 AM   |  #27  
Flag Vantucky

118 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericerk

Unlocking, i did everything, yet it still won't unlock / let me use tmobile sim i have no bars with crossed out circle

Did anyone else manually tweak their build.prop file, because from what he told me it sounds like that may be the issue. Having a hard time getting info, but I replaced my build.prop and he said he "moded" his using Astro. I also used Root Browser, while he said he used Astro. I've had problems with Astro getting root permission to edit the /system folder, so I thought that may be another issue.

More details would help to clarify what issues people are having, just fyi for anyone who tries this and can't get it to work. Tell us what steps you took, literally, then what you think the problem may be and we can trouble-shoot after that point. Sorry to lecture :-\

7th January 2012, 07:23 AM   |  #28  

864 posts
More
What roms can i run?
7th January 2012, 10:18 AM   |  #29  
Flag Vantucky

118 posts
More
In case someone doesn't know how to replace their build.prop with the tweaked one, which goes in your /system folder. What it does is trick your phone into thinking it's an xt883 so it will work with gsm in the US. Be aware that all the links/instructions here are found elsewhere, so you can find this info if you search. If you need more help, search, but ask anyway if you need it. Just be sure to say thanks ;) Best way to swap build.prop is to do the following:

1. Download Root Browser, free version from Android Market.

2. When you are going through the process of following the steps in the original post, you should download a .zip file which should contain the build.prop file that you need, along with the radio.img you should've already flashed using cmd prompt commands on your PC. If you can't find this file, just download the .zip again, unzip and you'll find it there.

3. Connect your phone to your PC via usb and move the build.prop file to your external sd card (or whichever one you feel comfy with lol), to a folder where you will remember it and access it later from Root Browser.

4. After moving the file to your sd card, simply go to the folder you placed it in, in Root Browser, then long-press the file and select 'move'. Then navigate to your /system folder which is found in the '/' or root folder. There should be a paste button on screen, or press menu to paste the tweaked build.prop file in /system. This will replace your original build.prop, so you might want to save a copy of it on your sd card, but honestly you don't need it. You can always recover your phone using the fast/easy unbrick tool also found in the dev forum, which will put your phone back to stock.

5. Once you have moved the tweaked build.prop you downloaded from xda, reboot your phone like normal. If the radio doesn't pick up a signal now, you should go to your settings to change to gsm.

*Before this next step*
Be sure that if you see a dialogue box pop up at any time saying "there are no available gsm networks, would you like to switch to global mode?", select 'cancel', because it will just change your phone to the previous settings, which is bad. Global mode doesn't allow gsm, so you don't want it to pick that mode. Do not select the check box, as when you lose signal at times, this box will need to pop up again and you'll need to hit cancel every time. This tells your phone to wait until it finds your correct gsm signal (I believe this is fixed by one of the build.prop edits suggested here in this thread, by making the phone think it is not a verizon global phone...it will pick up signal after every reboot).

6. In settings, go to wifi & networks>mobile networks>network mode, choose gsm/umts, then tap back button to go back to mobile networks>select network, tap automatic, then go back to mobile networks>operator selection, deselect the checkbox that says 'choose automatically', then tap 'search for networks', choose T-Mobile 2G (or whatever Operator you use (you'll only get edge on T-Mobile)), and go back to mobile networks>Access point names, and if everything else goes well, this should show T-Mobile already selected. If not, google search 'tmobile apn settings' and type in the correct info you find. I can provide the info to type in if it still doesn't work, but it should work with anything you find online. Just type it all in as shown in pretty much any Android related article you find online.

If you make it this far with no problems, your phone should work just fine. No, nothing done here is very hard, it's just a lengthy process the first time.

There are more build.prop tweaks you can perform by using the text editor built into Root Browser, which works very well. You can find these tweaks in the same forum as the original tutorial, as a comment from someone. Be sure to be very precise any time you mess with build.prop, as your phone needs this file when it boots up, and screwing up the wrong line will brick your phone. You can always force it to recover using the fastboot (fast/easy) unbrick method I mentioned earlier, so have fun. Also, Root Browser will usually force close after tweaking build.prop, and you need to reboot to make sure you see the full effects of your changes.

Sorry this is so long, it was a PM to another member who needed it spelled out. Hopefully this will prevent others from having the same issues.

OP, this would go great in your guide, or maybe a link to it for noobs. I already PMd you about it, but I made some more edits here :)
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BenSWoodruff For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th January 2012, 02:20 AM   |  #30  
Flag Vantucky

118 posts
More
I don't know exactly why simply sim unlocking will not also allow use of any GSM carrier anywhere (probably because Verizon locked it down somehow), but I only get edge for data on T-Mobile, because this phone doesn't use 1700 MHz frequency. This is only after having performed the steps in the OP, fyi.

Now, to settle a dispute for me, is 3G available via only AT&T bands and CDMA? I believe T-Mobile relies on 1700 MHz for 3G, but I also noticed T-Mobile has 1900 MHz for edge and 4G (HSPA+)[from wikipedia]. Since the xt862 shows compatibility with 1900/2100 W-CDMA, does that mean with some additional tweaks, T-Mobile users could also use 4G? Also, does T-Mobile use 2100 anywhere in their network for 3G? The wikipedia page says that they bought both 1700 and 2100 for 3G use, but this doesn't make sense to me at all. If it were true, we'd be getting 3G (through T-Mobile) on this phone too, right?

Thanks.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread