5,597,815 Members 37,143 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is the wifi-issue real or not?

Tip us?

MountainDrew
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Wifi on mine is fine in my house, always pretty much full strength. I have a 4 story townhouse, with an AP on floor 2 and 4. The Prime connects much more reliably than my Galaxy Nexus.
Phone: Google Nexus 5 Black 32GB/Bell Mobility
Tablet: Asus Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB

Bimboy
Old
Thanks Meter 97
No problemo with my TF201

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium
Retired: ATT Tilt (Kaiser), ATT Fuze (Raph110), HTC HD2 (Leo - T-Mo US), Samsung Galaxy S 4G, Samsung Galaxy S II Hercules, Samsung Galaxy S III
Nook Color - Rooted & OC 1.2 Ghz
ATT Samsung Galaxy S 4 - awaiting MF3 solutions

deadwolfbones
Old
Thanks Meter 22
No problems on mine. Strong signal even way out in the yard.

ryan562
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Getting inconsistent signal on mines while being only five ft from.my router.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II t989
Samsung Galaxy Note n7000
ClockworkMod-Based Recovery
Criskelo's ICS Touchwiz Rom v3
Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich
LPY Kernel

Apple iPad (3rd Gen)

Asus Transformer Prime Tablet
ClockworkMod Recovery 5.5.0.4
Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich
Virtuous Prime Rom S Series 9.4.2.15 v1

http://www.youtube.com/boloe562

skeptikal
Old
(Last edited by skeptikal; 23rd December 2011 at 05:59 PM.)
Thanks Meter 27
I've tested mine along side my galaxy tab and they have the same WiFi strength in all areas of my house and even outside/garage etc...Picked my TFP up from GS on the 21st just for reference.

GPS on the other hand....not so great. Not so great meaning not working at all.

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. " -- The Books of Bokonon

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 3775
The issue doesn't seem to be getting a signal, it seems to be maintaining it consistently. A couple of people have posted reports from Wi-Fi Analyzer showing there's a bunch of fluctuation on the Prime that doesn't appear on other devices compared side-by-side. That could be an issue when you're not at home and using sketchy signals at airports, restaurants, and hotels. It also would be invisible in things like browsing and downloads but a problem in streaming video or audio. Anyone checking or comparing Wi-Fi should do it using Wi-Fi Analyzer (or similar).

skeptikal
Old
(Last edited by skeptikal; 23rd December 2011 at 06:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
The issue doesn't seem to be getting a signal, it seems to be maintaining it consistently. A couple of people have posted reports from Wi-Fi Analyzer showing there's a bunch of fluctuation on the Prime that doesn't appear on other devices compared side-by-side. That could be an issue when you're not at home and using sketchy signals at airports, restaurants, and hotels. It also would be invisible in things like browsing and downloads but a problem in streaming video or audio. Anyone checking or comparing Wi-Fi should do it using Wi-Fi Analyzer (or similar).
I tested using wifi analyzer and have not noted any difference between my old school(but new) tab and my TFP. I have also not noticed any issue with youtube as of yet although I've only watched a video here and there. I have not done any testing away from home but I have used the prime tethered to my tab and evo with no issues so far. I will create a video if anyone is interested.

And again, sadly, GPS is a no-go.

Edit:// It should be noted too that my router is located centrally in my modest sized home. 1700 squaw feets. Or square even.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using xda premium
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. " -- The Books of Bokonon

demandarin
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2044
Wifi on my prime works fine. connection strength is strong. no dropped signals or anything. seems right on par with my iPad. so in all I don't have any problems with my device or wifi.

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptikal View Post
I've tested mine along side my galaxy tab and they have the same WiFi strength in all areas of my house and even outside/garage etc...Picked my TFP up from GS on the 21st just for reference.

GPS on the other hand....not so great. Not so great meaning not working at all.

I haven't tested my GPS out yet. don't want to take this outside without a case

IPAD- 32GB WiFi ver. 4.2.1

Transformer Prime 32GB(Retired)

NEXUS 7 16gb Unlocked & Rooted JB 4.3 CleanRom 4.0 Faux Kernel

Galaxy Note 10.1 32gb- Hyperdrive Rom w/ Zeus kernel AMAZING!

Samsung Galaxy SIII - JB 4.1.2

Lg Optimus G Pro- new 1080P 5.5in. Display w/Snapdragon 600 Andreno 320

Microsoft Surface Pro 128gb. Full HD Display 1080P Windows 8 HD4000 Graphics Type Cover

Prime/Tegra3 Gamers Thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1409077

azzurrony
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Guys, I'm averaging about -55dbm from my mobile hotspot. The Prime is right next to the phone. Should I be worried?

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 3775
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptikal View Post

Edit:// It should be noted too that my router is located centrally in my modest sized home. 1700 squaw feets. Or square even.
1,700 square feet may be modest for TX but it's down right huge in some places. You guys should post what routers you're using too. Samsung devices have a particular distaste for D-Link and perform exceptionally well with NetGear. So it might be interesting to see if the Prime interacts with all routers the same way.