XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Horrible battery life after 2.3.6

Tip us?

Tymong
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Horrible battery life after 2.3.6

Ok, I installed 2.3.6 from AT&T and my bettery life has tanked.

Batter Usage shows the Android OS at 93%!!!

Not using my phone, it is dead in about 7 hours.

Kernel Version

Build Number
GINGERBREAD.UCKK6

I am not rooted and dont want to root.

HELP!

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 23403

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymong View Post

Kernel Version

Build Number
GINGERBREAD.UCKK6

HELP!
You have an app that is driving data to your phone, causing the wifi chip to wake the phone all the time. Apparently a system app - a lot of people have been having this issue with KK6.

Beyond this - sorry, but if you are not rooted you will have to live with it. Identifying what is triggering the wifi interrupts requires obtaining a Wireshark capture, this is not possible without root. Even if a common root cause is found for what's going on with KK6, it's most likely in /system itself so can't be fixed without a custom ROM or at least rooting.

If you're not willing to root, why are you on a firmware developer forum? Have AT&T help you instead if you're on 100% bone stock unrooted.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

chocodough
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Well if it's an APP causing it, then many many people must be running the same app cause all of the various forums out there are a lot of people with the battery drain after updating to 2.3.6. Even a lot of my customers have mentioned it also.

I doubt it is an APP doing it. I'd bet it is just some bad coding on Samsung's part. They are probably getting a lot of complaints and are most likely already looking into it.

As far as the why he is here if he doesn't root. Well I don't root as well and have no desire to being as stock works just great. (other than the battery drain)

This is a great place to hang out and keep up on other people using various phones. He posted in the General section, not the Developer's section for this phone. So I think his/her question was valid.

If he was asking the question in the Developers section I would understand your concern. But I don't feel you have to be into cooked ROMS to value this forum.

That's like saying to the people who like the "Fast and the Furious" moves to stop watching them because they have a Chevy and not a pimped up Civic.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chocodough For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

envioustitan08
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymong View Post

Kernel Version

Build Number
GINGERBREAD.UCKK6

HELP!
I'm not rooted with wifi on all the time just got the phone 3 days ago and I'm getting 14-15hrs with no issue down to about 15-20% battery life left before I have to stick back on charger. Could be a bad battery or device, I'm coming over from Sprint after using rooted evo3d and rooted photon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

Entropy512
Old
Thanks Meter 23403

DONATE TO ME
The forum is called xda-DEVELOPERS.com

If you don't want to root, you're probably better off in the AT&T support forums, because honestly, it isn't worth our time to try and help someone who doesn't want to root fix a problem that is almost sure to require root access to fix, or in this case, even diagnose.

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

browncarpet
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I do believe many are having this issue after upgrading to kk6 (with same apps installed). I had the issue as well.

Entropy512
Old
Thanks Meter 23403

DONATE TO ME
May be a system app, or something in /system causing an app to become unhappy.

Either way, it's not going to get fixed without Shark for Root captures from those encountering problems.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Code:
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Bumble-Bee> thats true

bkeaver
Old
Thanks Meter 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by browncarpet View Post
I do believe many are having this issue after upgrading to kk6 (with same apps installed). I had the issue as well.
I don't think it anything to do with KK6. As Entropy said its an app causing a wake lock. I'm run Ingram KK6 without any issues with battery.

Sent from my sgh-i777 using xda premium
HTC ONE M8 - Bootloder Unlocked / SIM Unlocked / S-OFF / SuperCID / Rooted but made to look like not even tampered with
HTC ONE M7 - Bootloder Unlocked / SIM Unlocked / S-OFF / SuperCID / Rooted
Nexus 5 - Bootloader Unlocked / Rooted
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Please Hit the THANKS Button if I have helped..

NascarFastcar
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Having this issue as well. Phone is stock. Ive been here since the captivate but I hang around with the sgs2. Never needed to root this phone as it works perfectly for me. But I did the update this morning at 100% charge and 9 hours later with no use it's down to 9%. I could go all day with moderate use and be at 30-40% by the time I go to bed.

browncarpet
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I read on a rather long on a google forum that many had this issue after upgrading via ota but who knows. I found that wiping dalvik and flashing unnamed update again I have much better batter life. I did read in update that he reverted to an earlier kernel signature to fix the battery drain.